Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

I was in Downtown Wilkes-Barre on a daily basis from 2005-2009 while attending college and return to the city now and then while visiting relatives. The last time I was in the Diamond City was in June of this year for a wedding reception at Genetti's. We parked on South Main Street, near the movie theater, and walked there.

Some observations and experiences we had:

1.) When I parked at the meter it was just after 6 PM. I was looking all over for any indication of when the meter might have been enforced, and a passerby seemed to notice my confusion and kindly said "it's the weekend; you're okay, buddy!" Apparently Wilkes-Barre doesn't enforce meters on weekends. I thought it was nice of this random stranger to help a tourist since helpful signage is lacking in the city.

2.) As we passed Barnes & Noble we were approached by a guy trying to sell us stuff out of a briefcase. My partner isn't quite as "street smart" as I am and stopped to browse while I kept walking and motioned for him to continue on. I told him the stuff was probably stolen, and he said he didn't want to be "rude" and keep walking by him.

3.) We left the wedding reception about 9:30 PM and decided to take in a last-minute movie at the nearby theater. I was amazed by how lively and crowded Downtown Wilkes-Barre was at this time. There were dozens of people hanging outside of Rodano's and other nearby nightclubs chatting and having a good time. These weren't your stereotypical "scary city people", either. They were relatively well-dressed and middle-class-looking people, many of whom were probably from the suburbs.

4.) After the movies we felt uncomfortable a bit as we thought we were being stared down by some people loitering across the street, but we made it into our car and drove away unscathed.

Overall? Wilkes-Barre is heading in the right direction. The city has less than half of its heyday population of 90,000, when it was one of the most densely-populated cities in the state. Nevertheless the Downtown area has a growing scene of nightlife, dining, and retail, all of which are conducive to Downtown living, too. The city DOES have crime problems for a city of its size, but the VAST MAJORITY of violent crime in Wilkes-Barre isn't random. Should someone living in an Elevations Loft, Barney Farms, Parsons, or Mayflower feel "scared" because two bottom-feeding thugs gunned each other down in Sherman Hills over drug debts? Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I don't think people should be afraid of random crime. BUT I do think people should be smart and be aware of their surroundings and protect their homes accordingly. With the amount of drug addicts in this city, it isn't out of the realm of possibility to be robbed or mugged. That said, I certainly do not believe our city is as violent as outsiders like to believe.

Something needs to be done about Sherman Hills though. It is so unfair to the residents of that complex, as well the city at large, to have to deal with such crap.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 AM

21 posts, read 28,605 times
What's really going on is beside the wonderful work the PSP is doing, the criminals are well aware that NEPA is full of the Sheriff Taylor and Barney Fife mentality law enforcement. It should be interesting to see the percent increase in the murder rate in WB alone this year. (Couple that with the fact a lot of crime never gets reported to keep the facade that the cops actually have a grip on the problem.) And it seems way too many people here just want to sweep it under the carpet and keep those rose colored glasses on.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 AM

21 posts, read 28,605 times
I see two more were shot. (How ironic, I just mentioned this in my above post from 3 days ago) What do you think was the cause? 1) Drug deal 2) Mugging 3) Gang violence 4) Spill over from drunken bar room argument. Vote now.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaklander View Post
I see two more were shot. (How ironic, I just mentioned this in my above post from 3 days ago) What do you think was the cause? 1) Drug deal 2) Mugging 3) Gang violence 4) Spill over from drunken bar room argument. Vote now.
1. Drug Deal

3. Gang Violence

Same as usual....

Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 AM

27 posts, read 67,203 times
The crime index for wilkes barre is 15.....Compton, CA is also a 15....Ideally a city would get a 100 score.....a 15 means 85% of the cities in the US are safer than Wilkes Barre

Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Where did you get your information from?

The FBI Crime Index uses a scale of 1-10. For violent crime, Compton rates at 9. Wilkes-Barre rates at 6. The national average is 4.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
It is a scary thought that Wilkes-Barre is even in the same ballpark crime-wise as Compton!

Old 09-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
It is a scary thought that Wilkes-Barre is even in the same ballpark crime-wise as Compton!
If the city would do something about Sherman Hills, I am positive that the crime rate would plummet. Again, 99.9% of the violent crime is stemming from this complex - either from residents or those who know the residents.

BTW, Scranton is rated at a 5 for violent crime.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If the city would do something about Sherman Hills, I am positive that the crime rate would plummet. Again, 99.9% of the violent crime is stemming from this complex - either from residents or those who know the residents.

BTW, Scranton is rated at a 5 for violent crime.
I agree with you and am happy to announce our new (hopefully keeping fingers and toes crossed) will not be in Scranton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania