Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Sanofi, makers of the flu vaccine, only hires via the Manpower office located on Rt. 611 in Tannersville...for I/T work they outsourced that to another company so the employee's are not direct hires of Sanofi...and it's a very tough place to get into work-wise because it's the ONLY major employer in the Pokeyournose...so those who are there stay till they either leave of their own free will to go somewhere else or die at their desks...so good luck getting in there...unless your a chemist then it should be a little easier...but like I said you still have to get hired temporarily via Manpower then hope they keep you on permanently...I have a friend working there since '96...started via Manpower...
In 96 he would have started as a Connaught 'casual' (if my memory serves me right). The company hired their own 'temps' back then. His first name isn't Al; is it - this man comes from your area? If it is; I worked with him in 96 and today - always liked him.

Researchers and people with real skills/education can be hired directly. But most are hired through Manpower, in Tannersville, first. Then you could wait years to get a full time position.

Our schools, hospital and Depot are the other big employers. I believe the Depot still only hires a small portion from Monroe and the bulk from Lackawanna County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
His first name isn't Al; is it - this man comes from your area? If it is; I worked with him in 96 and today - always liked him.
No...it's a woman...she started via Manpower and then like 6 months or year later got hired full-time....

Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 21,163 times
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments. Now that I am here and talking to a lot of people, I've ruled out anything in the Pocono Mtn School district. I'm looking at Gouldsboro, Stroudsburg, and maybe areas between I-80 and Nazareth (beyond that, it's too expensive for me). I really want a public sewer (and preferably water). I need to do some more research on the Stroudsburg (and East Stroudsburg) school districts, as well as what others say about gangs, drugs, and safety. There's a lot already been said, but I don't think a lot of it is current...

And @Sugashane, I agree with you about the areas south of 7th st.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuwe View Post
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments. Now that I am here and talking to a lot of people, I've ruled out anything in the Pocono Mtn School district. I'm looking at Gouldsboro, Stroudsburg, and maybe areas between I-80 and Nazareth (beyond that, it's too expensive for me). I really want a public sewer (and preferably water). I need to do some more research on the Stroudsburg (and East Stroudsburg) school districts, as well as what others say about gangs, drugs, and safety. There's a lot already been said, but I don't think a lot of it is current...

And @Sugashane, I agree with you about the areas south of 7th st.
While you are ruling our Pocono Mt; I have a next door neighbor that loves the school. Of course that is the eastern school and not the one off Route 940. Don't forget that the farther you get from work; the less time you have for your kids.

Public sewage and water will be a challenge in the Poconos. That will rule many possibilities.

Anyway; good luck with your search. Take your time - if you have time. A home is a big investment and you want to make the right choice.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM

452 posts, read 682,013 times
MrGuwe, What you're failing to come to grips is the fact the area's you are avoiding were once desirable. The entire NEPA region is on the downslide, and aside from very few high end towns, in a short time the area will just be Newark in the hills. So, if you're willing to gamble the equity you have in a home purchase will not disappear like a candy bar at fat camp, go ahead and move here. But don't bi*ch about it in 5 years....

Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
MrGuwe, What you're failing to come to grips is the fact the area's you are avoiding were once desirable. The entire NEPA region is on the downslide, and aside from very few high end towns, in a short time the area will just be Newark in the hills. So, if you're willing to gamble the equity you have in a home purchase will not disappear like a candy bar at fat camp, go ahead and move here. But don't bi*ch about it in 5 years....
Have you ever walked on the Sanofi campus? This is not an employer that is downsizing. On any one given day Sanofi has approximately 3000 workers - full time and outsourced.

You continue to attack our area and you are living in Tennessee with one the highest crime rates in the Country. I have lived in this area for 67 years and I have no regrets and have had few problems. If you made bad choices - they were your bad choices and not mine.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM

The fact is Fish, the area's of high crime in TN can be directly tied to the same demographic element that is making it's way into PA. Memphis, parts of Nashville and Knoxville are just not that nice. However, where I live and the surrounding towns rate in the high 80's to 90's as far as safest places in the US to live. Look into how Hazleton, WB, Scranton and a few other choice cities rank and get back to me. And as far as the Sanofi campus goes, big deal. For every decent job created in NEPA, there are 50 created in the $10.00 per hour range for the non English speaking population that is just taking the area over. Did you see VW has a plant down here with 4000 plus jobs in the $18.00 per hour range? Not to mention Nissan with similar numbers. At least this state is making positive moves and attracting the right employers. All NEPA is attracting is more of the same human parasites that is driving the place further into the toilet. Nothing more pathetic than a person who just can't face reality.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The fact is Fish, the area's of high crime in TN can be directly tied to the same demographic element that is making it's way into PA. Memphis, parts of Nashville and Knoxville are just not that nice. However, where I live and the surrounding towns rate in the high 80's to 90's as far as safest places in the US to live. Look into how Hazleton, WB, Scranton and a few other choice cities rank and get back to me. And as far as the Sanofi campus goes, big deal. For every decent job created in NEPA, there are 50 created in the $10.00 per hour range for the non English speaking population that is just taking the area over. Did you see VW has a plant down here with 4000 plus jobs in the $18.00 per hour range? Not to mention Nissan with similar numbers. At least this state is making positive moves and attracting the right employers. All NEPA is attracting is more of the same human parasites that is driving the place further into the toilet. Nothing more pathetic than a person who just can't face reality.
I live about 15 miles from Stroudsburg. I hate to give advice about that local town. I spend most of my life around my house. You live about 850 miles from Swiftwater. How much time you have ever spent in Swiftwater is questionable. But you are an 'expert' on our area.

Yes I know our area is changing. But you cannot comment on areas you do not live - it takes away from your credibility. Sanofi has many great paying jobs and I have a feeling that the OP just got one of them.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:12 PM

Gee Fish, just today another shooting in Hazleton and several hundred bags of heroin in Mahanoy city. Couple that with the miserable climate, no cultural value, rising taxes, a culinary void, white flight from the towns and roads and bridges in deplorable condition, I just can't imagine why I tell people not to move into this crap hole.....

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Gee Fish, just today another shooting in Hazleton and several hundred bags of heroin in Mahanoy city. Couple that with the miserable climate, no cultural value, rising taxes, a culinary void, white flight from the towns and roads and bridges in deplorable condition, I just can't imagine why I tell people not to move into this crap hole.....
Hazleton and Mahanoy City are not Swiftwater. It isn't that it could not happen here; it is just that you focus only on the negatives - no matter how far away they are from any area. You are also focusing on an area that you supposedly escaped from. Why are you wasting your time and our time looking back; instead of looking ahead?

I would just like to hear your qualifications on Swiftwater. We have lived here for about 40 years and close to here for about 30 years. Our son graduated from PM with honors. I have worked at the location the OP has their new job at. So; tell us your experience and not that of Hazleton or Mahanoy City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania