Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 05:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
You do realize this post you responded to is from 2014....correct??
It's still here and people still read these threads, and I'm glad he responded to it.

Water moccasins do not live in this region. It was a ridiculous statement to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
It was a ridiculous statement to make.

Which one??

Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Which one??
That the lake was full of water moccasins.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:57 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
That the lake was full of water moccasins.
I do presume that there are still water snakes in the lake. Most of our lakes and stream do have some. They can be mistaken for copperheads or the moccasins. Although the experts would see the difference.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:26 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
if people were swimming in those waters then they've got to be harmless garden snakes or of that variety....non-poisonous....

Old 06-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
if people were swimming in those waters then they've got to be harmless garden snakes or of that variety....non-poisonous....
Although garter snakes can be seen around lakes; water snakes spend their time in water. They are non-poisonous; but they do bite. They usually make a hasty retreat from humans. But sometimes they have an attitude and will stand their ground or even challenge.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do presume that there are still water snakes in the lake. Most of our lakes and stream do have some. They can be mistaken for copperheads or the moccasins. Although the experts would see the difference.
There is a huge difference between a water snake and a water moccasin.

It's like saying a place is full of rattlesnakes after you saw a couple of garter snakes.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
There is a huge difference between a water snake and a water moccasin.

It's like saying a place is full of rattlesnakes after you saw a couple of garter snakes.
I never said there wasn't. But to most from the city a garter snake is just as scary as a moccasin. The old Woodside Hotel in Canadensis (burned down many years ago) had water snakes all around their lake. Some were pretty good size. If somebody comes up from NYC and steps on one; their reaction is pretty swift. Our standard water snakes eat fish; which is why they hang around the water. Unlike the garter snakes which eat worms and insects.

In almost every body of water in the Poconos that I have fished; I have eventually come across a water snakes. The snakes go where they can find a meal; just like the blue heron.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:25 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
When I was a kid we used to go to Mont Lawn in Bushkill each summer. I remember the counselors freaking out about snakes in the lake, making all of us get out of the water when one was spotted. One guy was local and kept insisting the snakes will head in the other direction when they see people. Still took my butt out when the whistle sounded.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
When I was a kid we used to go to Mont Lawn in Bushkill each summer. I remember the counselors freaking out about snakes in the lake, making all of us get out of the water when one was spotted. One guy was local and kept insisting the snakes will head in the other direction when they see people. Still took my butt out when the whistle sounded.
I spent my childhood in lakes and streams with the water snakes. As long as you don't grab them while hand fishing you were fine. Occasionally they would grab the minnow on the end of your fishing pole if you did not spot them first close to the shore. They prefer the shallow water to deep water. In the deep water they become the prey to large fish like bass, pickerel, and muskies. Sometimes you could even spot one of them losing a battle if they swam out too far - especially if they were the smaller snakes. Our large birds also love snakes like eagles, hawks, heron, and even crows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania