Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:58 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Such a pipe dream. It's going to take tens of billions of dollars to make this happen. NJ Transit, MTA, Septa, etc. alone is lobbying Washington for tens of billions of dollars each that has been lost because of low ridership during this pandemic. You think a new route from Scranton to NYC, with projected low ridership, will capture anyone's attention?
You posted this link: Plan the Keystone - Home on page two of this discussion. Looking through that you can see there are no plans for our area, not now or in the next ten or twenty years. Other than a few developers, or wishful commuters or pork barrel planning groups, nobody is talking about rail service to our area.

Interstates are our only hope currently. But we still have no long range plans to even help relieve that burden. I am not counting PennDOTs lane expansion plans because we have seen how they work! Plus it looks like people have voted to raise gas and oil prices and push us all into electric vehicles. That should work out great as our commuters run out of battery power 20 miles from home or the office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 12:16 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
... it looks like people have voted to raise gas and oil prices and push us all into electric vehicles. That should work out great as our commuters run out of battery power 20 miles from home or the office!
The Tesla Model S ($60k) can go 402 miles on a full charge. For me that would theoretically handle my commute for 5 days (cutting it reeeal close) before I had to recharge. Even the Model Y can go 326 miles at a mere $40k. I can't wait for the Model Whatever in a few years that's been promised for $25k. Even the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Bolt would handle a reasonable daily commute even with a traffic jam before needing a recharge.

The electric vehicles that could only go 35 miles on a charge, have gone the way of the dodo.

I'm still waiting to hear how all those EV owners are going to pay for the roads without buying gasoline or undyed diesel fuel. In typical fashion I'm sure our elected "leaders" will come up with some Frankenstein tax bill at the 11th hour as a budget crisis looms, that annoys everyone except their own donors.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:04 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Here's the latest on the 2020 - 21:

https://suvs-rankings.com/2020_best_...electric_cars?

Last edited by DavidWebb; 12-01-2020 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: corrections made

Old 12-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The Tesla Model S ($60k) can go 402 miles on a full charge. For me that would theoretically handle my commute for 5 days (cutting it reeeal close) before I had to recharge. Even the Model Y can go 326 miles at a mere $40k. I can't wait for the Model Whatever in a few years that's been promised for $25k. Even the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Bolt would handle a reasonable daily commute even with a traffic jam before needing a recharge.

The electric vehicles that could only go 35 miles on a charge, have gone the way of the dodo.

I'm still waiting to hear how all those EV owners are going to pay for the roads without buying gasoline or undyed diesel fuel. In typical fashion I'm sure our elected "leaders" will come up with some Frankenstein tax bill at the 11th hour as a budget crisis looms, that annoys everyone except their own donors.
Not everybody will fully charge their vehicle. Batteries also get old and do not perform the way they did when new. Right now we have people that run out of gas, but they can get somebody to bring them gas. Are there mobile quick charge service vehicles for those that don't think or plan ahead?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:41 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
You posted this link: Plan the Keystone - Home on page two of this discussion. Looking through that you can see there are no plans for our area, not now or in the next ten or twenty years. Other than a few developers, or wishful commuters or pork barrel planning groups, nobody is talking about rail service to our area.

Interstates are our only hope currently. But we still have no long range plans to even help relieve that burden. I am not counting PennDOTs lane expansion plans because we have seen how they work! Plus it looks like people have voted to raise gas and oil prices and push us all into electric vehicles. That should work out great as our commuters run out of battery power 20 miles from home or the office!

Yes, I know and I did read the pertinent info. It is just interesting how some people move up here and actually envision a train appearing out of a puff of smoke to commute from NEPA to NYC. The look of horror when I relay the truth is stunning, to say the least.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Yes, I know and I did read the pertinent info. It is just interesting how some people move up here and actually envision a train appearing out of a puff of smoke to commute from NEPA to NYC. The look of horror when I relay the truth is stunning, to say the least.
I think that is the problem when you post links to the right answer: Nobody reads! They have their minds made up exactly what they want to hear and they don't care.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:45 AM

120 posts, read 152,193 times
Default Amtrack coming to Scranton

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylva...wm4-story.html

Old 12-02-2020, 11:57 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Not everybody will fully charge their vehicle. Batteries also get old and do not perform the way they did when new. Right now we have people that run out of gas, but they can get somebody to bring them gas. Are there mobile quick charge service vehicles for those that don't think or plan ahead?
On the other side of that, a Tesla takes about 9 hours to charge with the home adapter kit (Can imagine what that would cost with PPL). A supercharger is about 90 minutes max. Supercharger locations aren't prevalent in the Poconos. There's one at the outlets in Tannersville. There are scatter destination charging stations that would take 4-6 hours to fully charge.

I looked at a Tesla and because of the lack of ease of access to charging decided against it.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:02 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolecounty2014 View Post

Please read the article. Amtrak is NOT coming to Scranton!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:46 AM

120 posts, read 152,193 times
????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania