Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 01:40 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,627,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Some pix of the pre-Thanksgiving sky Bill just took.....can you see the space shuttle's tool kit floatin' by??
Awesome photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,007,104 times
I can't seem to find where Summering posted about the art show at Skytop Lodge, but our family just returned from the show. I took the opportunity to meet Mr. Summering. He is just as nice (and talented) as Mrs. Sum is online. One of these days I'm gonna get to meet her as well.

I am now the proud owner of a piece of Mr. & Mrs. Sum's woodcarvings/painting. I also bought a piece for my daughter for Christmas.

It's a very nice show and worth the short drive just to see the beautiful lodge!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,459,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I am sooooooo jealous of those pictures Those palm trees and that sky........to die for.
Don't be jealous...come visit!!

This weekend it's finally warming up above 70 'til tomorrow nite...then yet another cold front...

I've used the oven more in the past 2 weeks than I have all year to add some heat to the house while baking!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,684,158 times
I'm bringing an umbrella and gosh knows what else, to the city........Rain? Snow? Your guess is as good as mine.
Hey, Our Rockky met Mr Summering today up at Skytop. They had a grand ole' chat.......
He really enjoyed talking with her and I guess it seems she loved the Mr's carvings he had at that show.
Wasn't that nice. I love when City-Data people meet. Well, he isn't but, he sure knows just about everyone. He then tends to mix up stories and people also.......LOL

Old 11-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I can't seem to find where Summering posted about the art show at Skytop Lodge, but our family just returned from the show. I took the opportunity to meet Mr. Summering. He is just as nice (and talented) as Mrs. Sum is online. One of these days I'm gonna get to meet her as well.

I am now the proud owner of a piece of Mr. & Mrs. Sum's woodcarvings/painting. I also bought a piece for my daughter for Christmas.

It's a very nice show and worth the short drive just to see the beautiful lodge!
Hey, how did I miss ya' here............I just posted too.
I posted like a week ago about it and then I Love PA and I talked back and forth a bit. She was having company though and couldn't make it.
So hubby, yes.........He mixes everyone up......LOL
He really enjoyed talking with you........and having you like his carvings too! Hey did you see the other room with the Artists........
They belong to a Pocono Arts group. He never gets a chance to see what they have. But, its paintings, photography and such.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,404,273 times
We got a little snow today, though I didn't see it. Supposedly it snowed for all of three minutes this morning before changing over to sleet. Oh well. Maybe we'll get some real snow soon. I'm still hoping, though there's a lot more people here that are hoping it won't snow!

Put in a few job applications today too. Not expecting much to happen before the holidays, but can't hurt to keep answering whatever is out there.

Wish I could go to the craft fairs in NEPA, but I wasn't driving anywhere long distance this weekend! Our craft fairs here have become 'made in china' fairs and there's few hand made items anymore. I did manage to get a cute little wood carving for my bf's mother. It's a fire hydrant shape with 'Lets go for a walk' carved into it and a paw print hook for the leash. She recently got a new puppy, so this should be something she can use. I'm going to get some dog biscuts and tie ribbons on them and then tie them together to hang from the hook. It should be cute.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,007,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Hey, how did I miss ya' here............I just posted too.
I posted like a week ago about it and then I Love PA and I talked back and forth a bit. She was having company though and couldn't make it.
So hubby, yes.........He mixes everyone up......LOL
He really enjoyed talking with you........and having you like his carvings too! Hey did you see the other room with the Artists........
They belong to a Pocono Arts group. He never gets a chance to see what they have. But, its paintings, photography and such.
Yep, I did wander through the entire show. There was some very nice, high-end work for sale. I found that I wanted Mr. Sum's very nice, high-end carvings. The show was a display of extremely talented artists.

I was just checking your pictures, and my "Mr. Winter" guy is there! Did you say he's carved from cottonwood?

I hope people found the room where they had the wood carvings. The organizers didn't seem to make it easy to locate them. I couldn't find them in the brochure. We happened upon the display room by accident.

I really appreciated the fact that they didn't charge an entrance fee. We took the portion of the family that was here on Saturday, and at $6 or $8 a pop it would have been quite expensive to just browse.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 PM

I will check on that for you Rockky........I think Mr Winter is a nice" big chunk" of Cottonwood.
( Our cottonwood comes from Montana, and the last batch came from a dry riverbed )

The story on the Arts for Sale at Skytop. I hear they might have been as expensive as the Holiday Show in NYC, and I looked through those things ( NY) a little in shock at the sticker prices. Its not that I havn't from time to time shopped in some higher end places. Its is just that the pricing was, in my mind, a bit over done in NY for the items........

Years ago a very well respected Pocono wood carver, who has many items sold country wide if not further.......
Asked to join that Arts organization. He was told " wood carving" isn't an Art!!!
( can you imagine that?) So the Pocono Woodcarvers are not a part of that group.

So for quite a number of years just our Woodcarvers were up at Skytop......asked by the manager who himself was a woodcarver.

Its only in the past two years (?) around that the "Arts" group has staged there. The Woodcarvers are not a part of them.........

I think that a woodcarver is an artist in all respects. Mr Summerings things are now in most states. They also are in other countries such as France and South America.
We have sent things near and far.

I'm so glad you found the room by accident. I am going to bring it up to the President of the Woodcarvers at our Christmas party that is coming up. Wouldn't it be nice if they were in the lobby area..........Gosh, that would be a joy. ( yes, looking back Mr Winter is a chunk of Cottonwood...)

Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM

Default The Innocence Of Xmas

A cop was on his horse waiting to cross the street, when a little girl on her new shiny bike stopped beside him.

'Nice bike,' the cop said. 'Did Santa bring it to you?'
'Yes Sir,' the little girl said, 'he sure did!'

The cop looked the bike over and handed the girl a $5 ticket
for a safety violation.

The cop said, 'Next year, tell Santa to put a reflector light on
the back of it!'

The young girl looked up at the cop and said, 'Nice horse
you've got there Sir. Did Santa bring it to you?'

Playing along with the girl, he chuckled and answered,
'Yes, he sure did!'

The little girl looked up at the cop and said, 'Next year tell Santa;
The d*ck goes underneath the horse.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM

The first is a pic I just took for you Mrs. Summering...it reminded me of you!! An orchid, all "sunny" & "golden"!!! It's really fragrant, & the whole front yard's perfumed by it!!

The others are in case folks missed the other night when the moon was in position along with Jupiter & Venus...last time for another 52 years!!!

Last edited by Jungle George; 04-28-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania