Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 669 times

Advertisements

Everyone has been emailing me about the lanes closing. I used to bowl there as a kid and worked there from the ages of 16 (got my working ppers at the admin building downtown) until I joined the U.S. Army when I was 24. I loved that place and all of the people I met there, good people mostly. I think the thing most people don't get is that bowling was a huge industry in the 50's and 60's. It started slowing down in the 90's and is almost dead in the 2000's. League bowling is the bread and butter of a center and when the leagues are full of older members that eventually pass on, they aren't getting a resupply of new members and then leagues old, leaving an open night of possibly no revenue. The upkeep on these places is alot. Green Ridge was built a long time ago and air conditioners, furnaces, carpeting, lockers, scoring machines and pinsetter all need a tom of maintenance. The roof there is pretty bad too. Around the mid 90's it was really good, two full shifts of leagues almost every night. I got outta there everynight around 1 am after clean up and everything was good. They always tried to make improvements to the place, be it extreme bowling, mechanical, birthday parties, new leagues, carpetin, a pro shop, electronic front desk system or restaurant upgrades, there was always an effort to make it better to get more people in and provide a safe place for kids and adults to relax. I know I always tried to give the best customer service I could and credit that place with the way I conduct myself today. It really put me on the front lines of customer care. I'm really going to miss seeing it there and stopping in when I visit Scranton. It was a major part of my life and I will feel that something is missing everytime I drive by and don't see it. Chet Stugus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania