Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,009,508 times

Advertisements

Why do you say I have not answered your question? You asked if there is a time when prices "go down" and I said -No, there is not a time when that happens. Sellers are motivated by different things. Some are anxious to sell, some are not. Some are set on a certain price, some just want to get rid of their property as soon as possible. Some will price their homes according to the market, some will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisNY View Post
Shorten homes. Basic home is 64k. Installation with full basement, water and sewer, site preparation, permits, and tree removal is about $35-40k. Front steps are 3k, deck is not included.
I have been to Shorten and for 64k you are getting a 900 square foot home that has vinyl floors and their kitchens and baths are very plain. I also seen homes that were 110k and you still had to put in front porch, back deck, garage, basement and foundation. And when I looked they didnt do any of that other stuff you had to get another contracter. I think they do some of the work now but I am not sure.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,009,508 times
Don't forget that some builders are anxious to get rid of inventory and create cash flow, so you will see some incredible incentives from builders that you may not have seen two or three years ago.

Construction loans can be more difficult to get than they have been in the past, so they [builders] are being more aggressive with prices than they would have been previously. For instance, I've seen brand new homes sell for $120,000 - AND I saw the exact same model sell for $150,000 two years earlier.

Some builders are willing to take cuts/losses that private home sellers don't want to take - because they don't have to....know what I mean?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,557,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Why do you say I have not answered your question? You asked if there is a time when prices "go down" and I said -No, there is not a time when that happens. Sellers are motivated by different things. Some are anxious to sell, some are not. Some are set on a certain price, some just want to get rid of their property as soon as possible. Some will price their homes according to the market, some will not.
I think you are nice enough to help out people asking for help and answered all the questions from the poster.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM

35 posts, read 114,245 times
The bankrupcies are comming Boris, hold your water..... In 2004 I scooped up a 2200 sq foot home on 1.25 acre in tanglwood for 68K. Ive put another 50K into it but that got me everything new 2 new bathrooms, oil hotwater heat,new kitchen complete.

Your better off buying an renovating than going with a modular, permits and building committee can be murder in some of these places. BE forewarned that if your not handy -- go modular as the local trades here are absolutely terrible and have a long history of feeding off of the new commers.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM

21 posts, read 56,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisNY View Post
I am looking to purchase a vacation home in northern PA in one of communities such as WLE or The Hideout. The prices seem to be a bit over inflated even with slow real estate market. Is it reasonable to expect the prices to go down by 20% by fall or winter, assuming all other things stay the same? Is this summer vacation hysteria?
On another thread you were commenting about security, etc in the Hideout- now you are considering a vacation home there?
As far as summer vacation hysteria, many of the homes you see in the Hideout are not summer vacation- every year more and more people are coming here full time because of the wonderful community it is.
As far as modulars, I have known people buying the modulars you are speaking of only to find out they have additional $50K + of hidden costs just to get a Cert of Occupancy. That's the reason exisiting homes appear to be more expensive.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 AM

127 posts, read 282,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
When you purchase an older home sometimes the home is complete. You dont have to do the landscaping, the basement is already finished, the driveway is paved. What is the square footage, the floors, the walls, the kitchen, the bathrooms. Not everything is cut and dry. You have to look at the whole picture.
Agree. The only problem with old house, for 130-150k at either community one gets a house that needs a 30k overhaul. For 160-180k one can get a great modular home with paved driveway, landscaping, deck, and finished basement.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
I have been to Shorten and for 64k you are getting a 900 square foot home that has vinyl floors and their kitchens and baths are very plain. I also seen homes that were 110k and you still had to put in front porch, back deck, garage, basement and foundation. And when I looked they didnt do any of that other stuff you had to get another contracter. I think they do some of the work now but I am not sure.
For 64k one can get a 1100 sq ft model with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, nice kitchen, real wood fireplace, appliances, carpet and yes, vinil floring in the kitchen area. The rest of the money 35-40k goes towards foundation, basement and installation. According to Shorten homes they do all the work, it is a turn key deal. Having said that, I have not shopped around and have not compared their deals with some other local contractors. i have a feeling these numbers can be lowered by 10-15% if i look further.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Don't forget that some builders are anxious to get rid of inventory and create cash flow, so you will see some incredible incentives from builders that you may not have seen two or three years ago.

Construction loans can be more difficult to get than they have been in the past, so they [builders] are being more aggressive with prices than they would have been previously. For instance, I've seen brand new homes sell for $120,000 - AND I saw the exact same model sell for $150,000 two years earlier.

Some builders are willing to take cuts/losses that private home sellers don't want to take - because they don't have to....know what I mean?
Yes, you are correct. The only thing that makes no sense TO ME is why would I buy a used home and deal with someone else taste (and wood panels on the walls from 1970s ) when I can get a new modular home from a builder at his cuts/losses and get exactly what I want and pay less.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewplanman View Post
The bankrupcies are comming Boris, hold your water..... In 2004 I scooped up a 2200 sq foot home on 1.25 acre in tanglwood for 68K. Ive put another 50K into it but that got me everything new 2 new bathrooms, oil hotwater heat,new kitchen complete.

Your better off buying an renovating than going with a modular, permits and building committee can be murder in some of these places. BE forewarned that if your not handy -- go modular as the local trades here are absolutely terrible and have a long history of feeding off of the new commers.
This is exactly what I am afraid off: 1) approval process 2) local contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania