Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:00 AM

56 posts, read 196,831 times

Advertisements

If you want to see grafitti around North Springfield/Burke, just ride VRE. There are several areas that are regularly tagged along the rail corridor between Backlick Road and Burke Centre stations. Most looks similar to the link VRE332 posted.

I don't know how to "translate" the tags, and I know most is probably just normal teen activity or wannabes. However, when I see the word "bloods", 1/4 mile from my house, I start to worry a little. Just my $.02 worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:24 AM

371 posts, read 1,193,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, how about "Field Grade Officers Rule!" "Thank God I'm not a GS-12"
Hahahaha! This made my day! Thanks for the laugh.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,134,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Metro Graffiti (Brookland/CUA) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dothejustice/3169827885/#/ - broken link)

This from Catholic University metro station
That's a great example of what real graffiti looks like. It should be noted, however, that Catholic University is not in Nova.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,694,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
...However, when I see the word "bloods", 1/4 mile from my house, I start to worry a little. Just my $.02 worth.

Relax! (unless you're a Crip! lol)

Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,273,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
If you want to see grafitti around North Springfield/Burke, just ride VRE. There are several areas that are regularly tagged along the rail corridor between Backlick Road and Burke Centre stations. Most looks similar to the link VRE332 posted.

I don't know how to "translate" the tags, and I know most is probably just normal teen activity or wannabes. However, when I see the word "bloods", 1/4 mile from my house, I start to worry a little. Just my $.02 worth.

Don't sweat it. I was a LEO for over 30 years here in NOVA and I can't decipher much of the graffitti but I do know for a fact that the majority of what you might see in public is just "Art", at least in the eyes of the one doing the tagging. Gangs will make their work pretty plain as they want to be sure everyone knows it's them. You will at least see Blood, 13 or something directly related to the gang. If it's looks pretty then it's likely just someone's artwork.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Thanks Caladium for the comment. Much appreciated.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 AM

461 posts, read 910,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Don't sweat it. I was a LEO for over 30 years here in NOVA and I can't decipher much of the graffitti...
If you don't mind my asking, but since you mention your police experience a lot, weren't you an officer out around Front Royal, which was considered by many to not be NOVA during a recent discussion? One would think that a police officer who was worth his salt in Alexandria/Fairfax, etc. would sure know what gang tags meant considering that it's probably the biggest crime issue in the area.

Ditto to Caladium. Thanks for making sure that we protected our turf here. These posts are all about boosting our property values when it comes down to it.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 AM

461 posts, read 910,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Thanks Caladium for the comment. Much appreciated.
Pssst. Buy in Sterling. It may have tons of illegal aliens, but they all drive out to Catholic U when they want to blow off steam after attending their debutant balls.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
If you don't mind my asking, but since you mention your police experience a lot, weren't you an officer out around Front Royal, which was considered by many to not be NOVA during a recent discussion? One would think that a police officer who was worth his salt in Alexandria/Fairfax, etc. would sure know what gang tags meant considering that it's probably the biggest crime issue in the area.

Ditto to Caladium. Thanks for making sure that we protected our turf here. These posts are all about boosting our property values when it comes down to it.

No. Was with PWC for over 30 years. I'm working now in the Front Royal area now training dogs in my 2nd career. I guess I wasn't worth my salt judging by your comment above. I learned and recognized many of the gang tags but I had no interest in trying to decipher all tags out in public. We have a gang unit and gang task force and their job, among others, is to learn all of the gang tags and their meanings.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,134,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post

LOL, you're trying sooo hard to get someone to fight with you, but there's just nothing much to stir up out here in suburbia. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia