Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 AM

110 posts, read 272,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You might be just fine. There are some people that obviously don't even notice it and it's hit or miss at that.

I've read a whole thing on line about this and apparently it's not just Wegman's. Nationwide there are people that complain about it. I think some people just don't notice it and some people are more sensitve about it.

No one yet knows what causes it but it seems to have something to do with the feed the cows are eating.

Upon recollection I've had this happen to me from milk at various grocery stores. Its definitely not spoiled or sour, but it just doesn't taste "right". But my current Wegmans $2 gallon of skim is of high quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,969,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You might be just fine. There are some people that obviously don't even notice it and it's hit or miss at that.

I've read a whole thing on line about this and apparently it's not just Wegman's. Nationwide there are people that complain about it. I think some people just don't notice it and some people are more sensitve about it.

No one yet knows what causes it but it seems to have something to do with the feed the cows are eating.
Definitely what the cow eats can affect the taste of the milk. I grew up on a farm and we could always tell when the cow had eaten some wild garlic. Then my dad would send all the kids out to find and dig up any wild garlic in the pasture.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:06 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,009,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Definitely what the cow eats can affect the taste of the milk. I grew up on a farm and we could always tell when the cow had eaten some wild garlic. Then my dad would send all the kids out to find and dig up any wild garlic in the pasture.
How interesting. I never knew that.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,254,422 times
what I always wonder is, why is whole milk the most expensive at Wegmans, and the skim milk the cheapest? Wouldn't whole milk involve less processing (to take out the fat) and therefore be cheaper, you'd think?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,404,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
what I always wonder is, why is whole milk the most expensive at Wegmans, and the skim milk the cheapest? Wouldn't whole milk involve less processing (to take out the fat) and therefore be cheaper, you'd think?
Good question. Could just be based on market demand.

It's the same at every discount store/warehouse club (skim is cheapest, whole is most expensive), but for some reason Giant/Shoppers/Safeway price all their varieties of milk the same.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Or, because they have a ton with a sell by date of February 1. Same with eggs, bought a dozen (and they had a ton also) yesteday with a sell by date of Feb 9. I don't understand why their dairy and alot of the meats have short sell by/use by dates. My one complaint.
Eggs are often good past the date on the carton. I test my eggs before I use them and toss them out if they float in a bowl of water.

Gently drop an egg into a bowl of water. If it:
  • sinks to the bottom and stays there, it is about three to six days old.
  • Sinks, but floats at an angle, it's more than a week old.
  • Sinks, but then stands on end, it's about two weeks old.
  • Floats, it's too old and should be discarded.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,969,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
When the cream is removed from whole milk to make skim milk, the cream is churned (that is the name I grew up with, they may call it something else now) to make butter leaving buttermilk. I'm guessing whole milk is worth more because it still has the butterfat in it. As I said, this is only a guess, I know nothing about how milk is processed now.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,333,629 times
Love, Love, Love Wegmans. We moved to Richmond and actually drive to Fredricksburg and Ashburn to still get staples. You can't beat the prices and the quality. As mentioned, their store brand is just as good or even better on some things.

As for their employees...they are consistently named on Forbes for being among the top places to work for.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,261,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
As for their employees...they are consistently named on Forbes for being among the top places to work for.
Wegmans in Sterling was serving cake this weekend to celebrate #3 on Forbes Best Companies to Work for list for 2011. It was really good cake too!

Wegmans stays high on 'Best Companies' | Business First

Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM

303 posts, read 594,462 times
I'm a Wegman's fan also. Good prices and outbeat my Safeway and Giant hands down. Off topic a little, but there was a pretty nice Shoppers in Gainesville (as far as Shoppers is concerned) but they are closing and I think they just couldn't compete with the Wegmans that was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia