Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,722 times

Advertisements

I've never called it Hoodbridge. Just Woodbridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbody View Post
Woodbridge is alright lol.

I spend allot of time here
We went there the first time we moved here. First and last time lol. And that was....years ago. Maybe it's gotten better, I don't care to find out.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
I dunno... I actually think there's some sort of pleasant change to the air once you exit the southern edge of Fairfax Co., especially as you get closer to Aquia/Stafford, etc... sudden breathing room, cozy old-growth forest (sans weathered plastic bag 'ornaments') nestled right up against the roadsides... subsequent endorphin rush!! Anyway, I admit my personal experience with PWC (and Woodbridge) is very, very slim, but PWC just *feels* (deceptively? I dunno, honestly) more pleasant to me, in a purely visceral way, than a lot of Fairfax Co.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I dunno... I actually think there's some sort of pleasant change to the air once you exit the southern edge of Fairfax Co., especially as you get closer to Aquia/Stafford, etc... sudden breathing room, cozy old-growth forest (sans weathered plastic bag 'ornaments') nestled right up against the roadsides... subsequent endorphin rush!!
I've found the opposite- the southern edge of Fairfax county is dominated by parkland and rural looking areas. Then when you cross the Occoquan into PWC, you hit sprawlsville.

Southern edge of Fairfax:

Google Maps

Woodbridge and edge of PWC bordering southern Fairfax:

Google Maps

You could do the same type of comparison on the west side with Clifton (Fairfax County) and Manassas (PWC).

Heading south, you don't really hit forest in PWC until you reach the Prince William Forest Park.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,866 times
Woodbridge has a variety of communities. Some are very upscale. Others are not. You get what you pay for. Please don't put a label on Woodbridge.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Compared to Newark New Jersey, Woodbridge is affluent.
LOL , Newark is a large City with good and bad places , Woodbridge is a large town the 2 aren't even in the same category.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I've found the opposite- the southern edge of Fairfax county is dominated by parkland and rural looking areas. Then when you cross the Occoquan into PWC, you hit sprawlsville.

Southern edge of Fairfax:

Google Maps

Woodbridge and edge of PWC bordering southern Fairfax:

Google Maps

You could do the same type of comparison on the west side with Clifton (Fairfax County) and Manassas (PWC).

Heading south, you don't really hit forest in PWC until you reach the Prince William Forest Park.
I was actually thinking specifically of going south on 95... It seemed to me like the 'pleasant' vibe I described in my earlier post started once you arrived in the general Quantico area - both north and south (which is actually pretty hilarious, when you consider how often 'Quantico' is mentioned in vaguely ominous tones in so many suspense films). But there are lots and lots and lots of open (i.e., not-people-filled) spaces where I come from, so I think it's just something my body subconsciously craves.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 AM

11 posts, read 19,427 times
I just moved to Lake Ridge, which I think is part of Woodbridge?? I'm still a newbie, so correct me if I am wrong. I thought Woodbridge was ghetto at first too... aka the nickname HOODBRIDGE. But I think it's just a few bad parts. The Lake Ridge area is really nice! Very family friendly and although I'm still not quite used to having to drive 15 minutes to get to the nearest Target, etc. I still like! I'm from Alexandria where I can find 3 targets, 2 DSW's, 2 World Markets, etc etc within 10 minutes of my place! i LOVED THAT!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL2128 View Post
I just moved to Lake Ridge, which I think is part of Woodbridge?? I'm still a newbie, so correct me if I am wrong. I thought Woodbridge was ghetto at first too... aka the nickname HOODBRIDGE. But I think it's just a few bad parts. The Lake Ridge area is really nice! Very family friendly and although I'm still not quite used to having to drive 15 minutes to get to the nearest Target, etc. I still like! I'm from Alexandria where I can find 3 targets, 2 DSW's, 2 World Markets, etc etc within 10 minutes of my place! i LOVED THAT!
If you moved to a different area within Woodbridge, you could have that too! Some parts of Lake Ridge do seem to be "away" from the mecca of Target, Wegman's etc.

I live in an area of Woodbridge where I can get to one Target (off 234) in about 7 minutes and the other one in 10. Same for Wegman's and Potomac Mills. My parents live way up Old Bridge and they have a bit of a hike to get to those places.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM

518 posts, read 924,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Everybody calls it Hoodbridge....affectionately by those living in Woodbridge, and derogatory by those living outside Woodbridge.
"Manfries", love it.

Growing up in Fairfax County, I used to think Woodbridge/Manassas was definitely ghetto. Now, I live there....and every time I have to go into Fairfax City, Annandale, Alexandria, etc...I appreciate PW County more and more.
I am right there with you Zak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia