Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 AM

248 posts, read 701,081 times

Advertisements

Saw some very bizarre incidents yesterday, all in one day....

1. Saw someone jump aside as a left turning car almost hit him, missing him by an inch. That car did not attempt to stop at all.

2. I saw a guy in a full suit complete with dress shoes running full speed down in Arlington. He was out of shape too and was in some big hurry. He was also talking on his phone while running full speed. Might I also mention that this was while it was almost 100 outside?

3. In the Washington Metro, a train going towards DC was just coming to a stop and it usually stops several feet in front of the Metro stairwell. Yet all 12 people who were behind ran for it anyway full speed and all of them tried to fight through the doors as they closed (even with running it closed just as the first guy reached it). They don't even realize that it is rush hour hence the next train is only 2 mins away. HAHAHA 2 mins out of your day and they were all up in arms.

I don't know but going THAT fast is bad for your health.... I mean at this point it seems bizarre, almost funny sometimes (except for #1 maybe)

I mean I've had my share of busy days before but I've never been THAT much in a hurry. I mean at that speed you'd run face first into a concrete wall before you even noticed one just MIGHT be there.

Last edited by tsuric; 08-11-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Much of this hurriedness is the result of our grossly inadequate transportation infrastructure. I'm assuming the dude in the suit was running for a bus?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Not limited to NoVA.

I was driving home from West Virginia on Monday. Still in West Virginia, doing 70 mph or more down the curvy mountain highway of I-68. The guy next to me couldn't stay in his lane all that well. As I passed him, my dad looked over into his vehicle--no hands on the wheel, texting on this phone AND smoking a cigarette. Doing about 75 mph. Scary stuff.

As for the Metro, man, you apparently have to be quick. I haven't ridden it regularly in years but I don't remember it being a problem.

Last week, my son went to a Nats game with a friend and her parents. They were getting on the Metro, the train had *just* arrived and the doors quickly shut separating them from the parents. My son said there was hardly any time to actual get on the train.

I think the other poster was correct--whenever an area gets transporation deficiencies, you start seeing all sorts of aggressive behavior.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
#1 is pretty scary. But my guess is if the car got within an inch of the person, the driver (for whatever reason) didn't see the pedestrian in the first place (and wouldn't know to stop).

Yesterday I had someone behind me honking a horn at me because I wouldn't turn left as oncoming rush hour traffic was zipping over an incline. The problem was I couldn't see cars until they crested at the top of the incline--at which point I couldn't turn without risk getting hit or at the very least making them slam on their breaks. The only way I could turn was wait for a green arrow or "turn blind" and pray I didn't get T-boned by a speeding car. It was not worth it to save a few minutes on a light cycle. But boy was he impatient with the honking.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
lot of people round here LOVE leaning on that horn, even if they can see pedestrians crossing the street, they still love honking that thing

Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
lot of people round here LOVE leaning on that horn, even if they can see pedestrians crossing the street, they still love honking that thing
"He who hesitates gets honked at."

Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
He who smelt it, dealt it

Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 PM

219 posts, read 472,407 times
Quote:
3. In the Washington Metro, a train going towards DC was just coming to a stop and it usually stops several feet in front of the Metro stairwell. Yet all 12 people who were behind ran for it anyway full speed and all of them tried to fight through the doors as they closed (even with running it closed just as the first guy reached it). They don't even realize that it is rush hour hence the next train is only 2 mins away. HAHAHA 2 mins out of your day and they were all up in arms.
Sounds like Rosslyn. One time our train stopped at Rosslyn, and this guy in the middle of the car jumped up and stampeded out, bowling people out of the way, practically before the door opened. It was like pro football in there, all of a sudden.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:04 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Much of this hurriedness is the result of our grossly inadequate transportation infrastructure. I'm assuming the dude in the suit was running for a bus?
This is not fair at all. We ain't Europe, but the DC area surely ranks among the best US cities for public trans... and I think are roads and highways aren't bad either, were just highly populated due to our relative success.

THe dude in the suit was probably late for an interview or meeting... and maybe he was just in shape.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
THe dude in the suit was probably late for an interview or meeting... and maybe he was just in shape.
Or the bathroom...

I don't think NOVA is as fast paced as say NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia