Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,860,772 times

Advertisements

I was working the local election yesterday and it was veeeeeery slooooooooow. I was on the phone outside with my husband when it happened. At first, I didn't think anything of it (thought it was a large truck going by) and then the ground really started moving....and I said to my husband on the phone - I think we're having an earthquake....and then 3 seconds or so later he said that their building was shaking. It was a very cool experience for such a slow day. At first it felt like I was in a parking garage with the rumbling but when it kept going and got stronger - like riding a small wave beneath me that was just really neat. I was at Yorkshire Elementary when it happened. Whatever type of 'caulking' they use between the sidewalk stones there were completely cracked. They weren't cracked before because we had been standing around them all day (like I said - it was slow). At least the earthquake livened up the afternoon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 06:08 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,469,554 times
In case anyone is counting, yesterday's quake now makes it 6 earthquakes in Virginia in the last 8 years!

Source: Virginia Seismic Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,810,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I was working the local election yesterday and it was veeeeeery slooooooooow. I was on the phone outside with my husband when it happened. At first, I didn't think anything of it (thought it was a large truck going by) and then the ground really started moving....and I said to my husband on the phone - I think we're having an earthquake....and then 3 seconds or so later he said that their building was shaking. It was a very cool experience for such a slow day. At first it felt like I was in a parking garage with the rumbling but when it kept going and got stronger - like riding a small wave beneath me that was just really neat. I was at Yorkshire Elementary when it happened. Whatever type of 'caulking' they use between the sidewalk stones there were completely cracked. They weren't cracked before because we had been standing around them all day (like I said - it was slow). At least the earthquake livened up the afternoon!
It was very slow at my local polling spot too (I wasn't sure if they would be closed or not). I wonder how many people forgot to vote yesterday with all the excitement.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 AM

Well, we didn't expect a big turnout anyways....we had 1% of the voters turn out...very sad. But - many precincts had to go outside and had people voting on the sidewalks or parking lots. It wasn't a big deal though since most didn't vote. But - out of almost 4,000 voters....87 came to vote at my location. It was a lot of work for nobody to really care.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Here's a cool link:

Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days

Magnitude 5.8 - VIRGINIA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/se082311a.php - broken link)

Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
I can't understand why I didn't feel a thing in Gaithersburg. My kids felt it, people on this forum, or in the news, heck, even a few states away felt it, but, me, I didn't feel a thing. Why???

Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I can't understand why I didn't feel a thing in Gaithersburg. My kids felt it, people on this forum, or in the news, heck, even a few states away felt it, but, me, I didn't feel a thing. Why???
Normally this is the type of thing I miss....maybe we traded places for the day. Actually - I think it really depended on where you were....were you inside or out? Were you driving?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 AM

947 posts, read 1,403,755 times
Here's the latest sardonic photo commentary (found in a Christian Science Monitor article) about the Great Virginia Quake:

Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,495,230 times
Not to mention all the "I survived the DC earthquake of 2011" t-shirts! Might have to see if they sell those at the street corners, might have to go get one

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,018,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Not to mention all the "I survived the DC earthquake of 2011" t-shirts! Might have to see if they sell those at the street corners, might have to go get one
I'm sure someone will do it. Probably here in Va. also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia