Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
This is just an average quake folks. This size and much larger happen a few times per year in California and western states. While large earthquakes are uncommon and rare on the East Coast, it is still wise to be somewhat prepared. Maybe not to the extent as Californians and folks out West, but an emergency kit, water, dry food, flashlights, etc... are basic things that can save a life. Out west we know in a total disaster like an earthquake the government, police, and firefighters will be overwhelmed so you gotta be ready to take care of yourself. Especially on the East Coast where the police and firefighters will likely be just as shocked as you are that a 7.0+ earthquake happened. With many of the old homes in Virginia not being built for earthquakes (brick is like the WORST material for earthquakes) you don't want to be caught sorry if the very unlikely, but as we saw today, big earthquake happens. The attitude towards earthquakes should always be "when" not "if." You can google emergency packs online and they will have kits. They would be useful in other emergencies as well.
We were just saying the same at work. If the quake had been here no one would have mentioned it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilliam View Post
Now it's easy to see how unnecessary panic occurs in crowds. This was an earthquake of the type that is routine out west, and certainly no one runs for the hills or leaves work early for something like this. Calm done, folks. Things are OK.

You are correct that people panic. One thing you have to remember, here: Probably not too many of our buildings are built to "earthquake code". So while the magnitude was moderate, our buildings are just not built for them.

Fortunately nothing major happened but we did have some spires fall from the top of the National Cathedral, ceiling tiles have fallen in the airport and union station.

While it's not a big deal, we aren't, architecturally, sturdy enough to handle what California or Japan can handle.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The "panic" is evident on the roads. Every major artery conjested beyond belief. Once again, everyone leaves at the same time, and causes a total traffic nightmare.

Personally, I don't think this area can handle anything - hurricane, earthquake, snowstorm, thunderstorm.......all of it makes the masses head for the roads.......

What I am wondering is, why when something like this happens (and 9/11 was the first I witnessed it) does everyone RACE to their car and hit the roads. I just don't get it. Why would you panic and run in your car to get home? Or get anywhere.

My poor friend is sitting at work on a bench because a thousand people at our office decided to "run home" and they clogged up the garage so bad that no one could move.

On 9/11 I was almost run down by people running out of the building, down to the garage, only to sit on 395 for HOURS.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,133,354 times
okay does anyone know if roanoke is okay ? I cant reach my cousin who lives there and Im worried . Thanks to anyone who can give info .

Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM

855 posts, read 626,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
one of many devastating photo's of the carnage thus far....run for your life
LOL!!

It was amazing. First it sounded like large rodents were duking it out in my chimney, but then I realized what was happening when the house started doing that shimmy-shifty-twisty thing that they do in a quake. Haven't felt that since we lived overseas!

I have lived in Virginia all my life and never felt anything like that here. Wow!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

191 posts, read 357,943 times
I think it’s because people like to make sure their loved ones are okay, and these events ALWAYS makes us remember what’s most important. I was in class at a college campus. The room started shaking and my professor was shocked as the room started to sway I got up and booked towards the door the building looked like it was going to collapse in on us! This was a 3 story building and as many have said we just aren’t built our building to handle that magnitude of an earth quake. The professor put her hand out and told me the safest place was in that room?? Then it was over, now after that we all evacuated the building and the whole campus was in shock our phones weren’t working and we all were so scared! I booked it to my car and drove SLOWLY home, who knew if there was a aftershock I was going to be the first one on the shoulder of the road, got home checked on my dog and sister, so in events like these we all panic or most of us do, and then usually check on loved ones I think it’s just human nature?? I don’t appreciate the idiots who were driving on 495 south and 95 south swerving in and out of lanes on their phones almost killing me to get to their destination though i was scared also but is it worth it?!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM

191 posts, read 357,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay does anyone know if roanoke is okay ? I cant reach my cousin who lives there and Im worried . Thanks to anyone who can give info .

Txt is the best way to reach someone at this moment, hope all is well

Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM

855 posts, read 626,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
From what I gather from this local report (here), nothing major has happened there; they felt the tremors like other areas did.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,955,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What I am wondering is, why when something like this happens (and 9/11 was the first I witnessed it) does everyone RACE to their car and hit the roads. I just don't get it. Why would you panic and run in your car to get home? Or get anywhere.

My poor friend is sitting at work on a bench because a thousand people at our office decided to "run home" and they clogged up the garage so bad that no one could move.

On 9/11 I was almost run down by people running out of the building, down to the garage, only to sit on 395 for HOURS.
I agree. The safest thing is to stay put, yet most feel that home will be better. Must be a comfort thing. I guess I can empathize with parents who want to get home to their kids, but it seems like we should all have contingency plans in place for our families should anything like this happen again. It is definitely something to talk over with my neighbors, so that if they get stuck, I can help look after any animals and help their kids when I work from home and vice versa. I was able to receive phone calls for the first hour but haven't been able to since. I had to e-mail my family.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I agree. The safest thing is to stay put, yet most feel that home will be better. Must be a comfort thing. I guess I can empathize with parents who want to get home to their kids, but it seems like we should all have contingency plans in place for our families should anything like this happen again. It is definitely something to talk over with my neighbors, so that if they get stuck, I can help look after any animals and help their kids when I work from home and vice versa.
Yep, these incidents are good reminders to get plans in place.

When 9/11 happened, my kids were in elementary school in Woodbridge and I was stuck in DC. Of course, internally, I really *wanted* to be home; however, I knew that running down the halls in a panic (as many of my coworkers were doing) and screeching through garage onto DC streets wasn't really going to help me or anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia