Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,461,717 times

Advertisements

1 of those 40,000 is my wife, who joined me here when we got married (I work in Herndon, she works downtown only 1 day a week). Another 2 are her parents, who moved over here to be closer to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,499,259 times
If anywhere at all, this thread belongs in P&OC. It's premise is pure political hucksterism.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,000,510 times
I will be one of those in the near future. I have lived in MD for most of my life and to be honest the taxes is just part of the reason why I want to move. I also can't stand the quality of life. I have children, and I don't feel that I should have to pay high prices for mediocre schools and services. One thing I've enjoyed about NoVA is it appears to be much more family friendly in certain parts as opposed to most suburbs in MD. I also don't like the political makeup of MD, which is MORE corrupt than surrounding areas (well maybe not DC). Finally given that I am in the IT field, I find myself with the ability to find more jobs in my field in NoVA as opposed to MD.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,576 times
You will pay more to live in MD than in Virginia. When you factor in crime, and schools, its a no brainer to go to NOVA. Why would I pay more money for additional crime, and poorer schools?

Maryland will never see the growth that VA is seeing and there are many reasons for that. The only reason to even consider Maryland is for real estate, but then when you factor in taxes, and other costs VA comes in cheaper. It makes no sense to run a business in MD over VA (taxes).

To me it makes no sense to live in MD, especially PG county. You might have to take the article with a grain of salt, but to anyone that actually cares about retirement, pay attention to interest rates and credit, and cares about schools, MD has a skull and crossbones on the map.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,908,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Is this a good thing? Marylanders move in droves to Virginia - Washington Times

I understand wanting to escape Maryland with their high taxes, public schools going down hill, and more services to attract more illegals, but is this a good thing for Virginia?
No. We don't need any more transplants.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM

163 posts, read 315,033 times
It's true that the tax burden in VA is much lower which would account for some migration but there is a lot of migration between VA/DC/MD for work and social reasons too.

We moved because of taxes but it's not fair to say that everyone does it for the same reason.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,734,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
You will pay more to live in MD than in Virginia. When you factor in crime, and schools, its a no brainer to go to NOVA. Why would I pay more money for additional crime, and poorer schools?
Eh, not quite a no-brainer. Taxes and crime are generally higher in MD, and schools are generally not as good (though they vary a lot, as they do in VA)--but housing prices are much lower in most of MD than for comparable neighborhoods in VA. And not just in PG.

If you work in the Bethesda-Germtown bio-corridor, MD probably makes more sense commute-wise (provided you work north of where you live).

So if you get a good enough deal on your home, have a decent commute, get into a good school district (or have no kids, or be planning on private schools) and manage to not be near most of the crime, MD could make more sense for you.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Eh, not quite a no-brainer. Taxes and crime are generally higher in MD, and schools are generally not as good (though they vary a lot, as they do in VA)--but housing prices are much lower in most of MD than for comparable neighborhoods in VA. And not just in PG.

If you work in the Bethesda-Germtown bio-corridor, MD probably makes more sense commute-wise (provided you work north of where you live).

So if you get a good enough deal on your home, have a decent commute, get into a good school district (or have no kids, or be planning on private schools) and manage to not be near most of the crime, MD could make more sense for you.
I think it's difficult to really put a label on either one being cheaper because it really does depend on each individual's situation. As far as what you stated, I would be curious what the difference in property taxes between the two areas that you are comparing. MD seems to have some higher property taxes if you compare similar areas.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,734,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I think it's difficult to really put a label on either one being cheaper because it really does depend on each individual's situation. As far as what you stated, I would be curious what the difference in property taxes between the two areas that you are comparing. MD seems to have some higher property taxes if you compare similar areas.
That's pretty much what I said, so I don't really disagree. Property tax rates are higher in most (possibly all) MD jurisdictions than for NoVa counties. Plus the state income tax is higher. But prices for houses are mostly lower in MD for comparable properties (e.g., a 3BR Colonial in Bethesda vs. the same style/era/SF house in N. Arlington).

Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
That's pretty much what I said, so I don't really disagree. Property tax rates are higher in most (possibly all) MD jurisdictions than for NoVa counties. Plus the state income tax is higher. But prices for houses are mostly lower in MD for comparable properties (e.g., a 3BR Colonial in Bethesda vs. the same style/era/SF house in N. Arlington).
Yeah but depending on the difference, the higher taxes offsets the cheaper price. That's why I don't think the prices really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia