Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM

146 posts, read 375,084 times

Advertisements

I find it comical when people from NoVa try to bash those living in Maryland to make themselves feel better about where they live. You can argue all you want that the wealthy in maryland are fleeing the state, but numbers dont lie. The wealthiest communities in the dc metro are in suburban maryland despite its taxes. The state of Maryland also has grown the number of millionaires and infact it now has the highest proportion of millionaires in the country. That doesn't sound like wealthy are fleeing to me. Marylanders know that even though taxes r high atleast we dont live in characterless, vanillah suburb that has very little local culture because it's filled with mostly transplants. Maryland has the Chesapeake bay, boating, old bay, crabs and the eastern shore what local culture does Northern Virginia have?

MontCo has region's richest communities | WashingtonExaminer.com

Maryland tops the country in millionaires - Rosenwald, Md. - The Washington Post

Governor O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
...Maryland has the Chesapeake bay, boating, old bay, crabs and the eastern shore what local culture does Northern Virginia have?

Virginia has all that too, just not in the DC suburbs. Maryland doesn't either.

Don't get me wrong, I love Maryland's Eastern Shore....I'm typing this from my summer place in Dorchester County....but let's be fair about it. The wife and I have burned thousands of gallons of diesel fuel cruising VA's part of the Chesapeake and it's tributaries. It compares very well to MD's part of the Bay.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
Since you're such the know-it-all, lets see how far back it takes to find a county bond issue that was rejected by Fairfax taxpayers.
Before the Christian Era would be recently enough to invalidate your incorrect claim.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You just said that " Botetourt County has the same tax burden as Fairfax. " Now you're saying that they're different everywhere.
No, I said that to the same extent that PG County has the same tax liability as Montgomery, Botetourt County has the same tax burden as Fairfax. It was in plain black-and-white.

Last edited by saganista; 07-14-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
People's republic of Arlington is still cheaper :-).
Easy for you to say, which appears to be all you intend on doing, since you earlier said that "Arlington would == MoCo". And once again, "cheaper" has not been argued with respect to Fairfax.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:31 AM

231 posts, read 456,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Before the Christian Era would be recently enough to invalidate your incorrect claim.
So, provide an example.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM

163 posts, read 314,982 times
does everything have to be a political pissing contest? This was one of the few forums that didn't have every thread collapse into a name calling heap
Some people prefer MD and they don't mind paying the increasing taxes. Those that don't like paying the taxes, move to VA.. So what? Suburban MD is more established but the VA burbs are growing. So what?

I've lived in DC, MD and VA and each has it's good and bad but I prefer VA. I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with someone else that prefers MD or why anyone would hate on someone that likes lower taxes and less restrictive attitudes towards gun rights?

Jeeze people, this entire one-upmanship garbage is getting old. Grow-up.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So, provide an example.
Are you claiming to have actually researched the matter and found none? Ever?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,683,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
does everything have to be a political pissing contest? This was one of the few forums that didn't have every thread collapse into a name calling heap
Some people prefer MD and they don't mind paying the increasing taxes. Those that don't like paying the taxes, move to VA.. So what? Suburban MD is more established but the VA burbs are growing. So what?

I've lived in DC, MD and VA and each has it's good and bad but I prefer VA. I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with someone else that prefers MD or why anyone would hate on someone that likes lower taxes and less restrictive attitudes towards gun rights?

Excellent points!

This is why I think this Country is doomed....we can't civilly discuss ANYTHING anymore, not even the weather...

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
What's even older is shoot-from-the-hip bloviation and hyperbole by those who don't actually know the subject matter. The forum is supposed to provide information to actual and prospective newcomers as well as a place for honest discussion among those who are already here. Most of us have some established knowledge or expertise at something. It would be helpful if some didn't wander quite so far away from that base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia