Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 81,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
You should be able to find some places in Reston that meet your needs although it is a little tight there. If you want more space but still the family atmosphere Asburn is a good option where the commute shouldn't be that bad.

P.S. You will have sticker shock up here after living in SC. You will get used to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Housing there more expensive that's for sure . IN my area , you can buy a brand new home ( 2500 sq ft )
for $200,000 , 3/3 , full basement , living , kitchen ,dining room , quiet neighborhood .
Edwardsville ,IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpicky View Post
Money isn't the issue, just looking for the safest place to live . Are there Gated Communities ?

There are no gated communities in Reston. I consider most areas of Reston to be safe. I would avoid the area of Glade Drive between Reston Parkway and Fairfax County Parkway.

If money is not the issue I would check out these properties.
For purchase:
11576 LAKE NEWPORT RD, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
1445 WATERFRONT RD, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

For rental:
1561 REGATTA LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
10852 GROVEHAMPTON CT, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,311 times
2000 can get you an older townhome in Herndon which is next to Reston (3 bedrooms) and a 5-10 minute commute.

I would suggest Chantilly also which 2000 for a townhome goes a lot farther in what you can get.

For Single family house, you are gonna have to look at older stock or possibly accross the county border in Loudoun county (which wouldnt be an awful commute depending on which part of Loudoun, I would suggest Brambleton)

... I know I am as shocked as you guys that I am recommending Brambleton

Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restongirl View Post

I disagree on trying to do Ashburn to Reston during regular commuting hours - unless you find a back way that avoids Route 7, you'll be smelling tailpipes for a good 45 minutes and going nowhere fast. Route 7 commuting is truly awful.
not necessarily - there are backroads that avoid both of those. My husband used to use a couple. If you can get onto dranesville rd, there are some back ways through neighborhoods that cut you over to ashburn by going through sterling.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpicky View Post
I used to live in Reston 1977 , after reading this forum , everything changed . What area's considered the best in Reston .
Money isn't the issue , just looking for the safest place to live . Are there Gated Communities ? Your input is appreciated.
we don't really do gated communities in NoVA, although maybe there are some at the upper ends of the income ladder (a part of the ladder I have no contact with)? They aren't really necessary. In general NoVA is a low crime area. There are some less savory neighborhoods, but I doubt you would be looking in those areas anyway.

I would say North Reston is generally considered to be the nicer part of town. However, much of North Reston is newer, which I think is why. I never felt unsafe when I went to South Reston - Hunters Woods and the South Lakes shopping center areas are OK (South Lakes is nicer, but Hunters Woods has the Community Center).

Last edited by hilsmom; 07-25-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia