Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times

Advertisements

Sports are what taught me patience and perseverance. I had zero trouble with academics--straight A's in all AP classes with my eyes closed senior year. Graduated high school with 45 community college credits from dual enrollment throughout high school. Perfect scores on my SATs. School was easy.

Soccer, on the other hand...that taught my brain to think in new ways. I had to balance physical challenges with mental ones, learn to think on the fly, and interact with people I never would have crossed paths with in my "I'm going to Harvard" class schedule. Sports made me a better person. There were lessons learned from piano, band, theater, and scouting too. I'm glad I had those opportunities, regardless of whether they helped me get into college.

Don't get me wrong--if my parents ever thought that sports were hindering our ability to be successful in school, we knew we had to drop the extra curriculars immediately. But as long as academics were in good standing, we could add on as many things as we wanted (we never had any expensive hobbies, thankfully...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM

505 posts, read 764,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"While high school extracurriculars may count for something in college admissions, whether an elementary schooler is in two or six activities is unlikely to matter very much."

Absolutely. But the nature of many activities requires early exposure to identify and develop interests. You can't be in the jazz band in high school if you didn't start playing the trumpet in elementary school. And although you might have grown up in a community/era in which kids could pick up a new sport as teenagers, unfortunately it no longer works that way. With some notable exceptions such as cross country and crew, most high school sports teams are filled with kids who have been playing for years.

It's certainly a mistake for parents to spend all of their family time hustling kids from one expensive activity to the next in the desperate hope of getting into the right college, but it is equally a mistake for parents to overreact to this busy-ness by deciding that what worked for their own college admission process will be good enough for their kids.
I agree with you, but at the same time given the competitiveness of many high school activities around here, very few of the elementary schoolers involved in an activity will ever make it to the high school team or organization.

If the younger kids are in an activity because they enjoy it that's great, but if they are in it because their parents think it will help them get in to college 10 years down the road it's a mistake. It's these cases of parents pushing their kids to do everything because they think it will give them some advantage that cause people to say kids are overscheduled.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:11 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
I agree with you, but at the same time given the competitiveness of many high school activities around here, very few of the elementary schoolers involved in an activity will ever make it to the high school team or organization.
No question. But, to turn it around, virtually none of the elementary school kids who were NOT involved in that activity then will be in a position to participate in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia