Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,588,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I guess my point is that one should be less concerned about graduate school, which is a luxury, if they cannot afford to house their own children.
That doesn't make sense. Clearly the idea is that the additional schooling will allow the participant to get a better job and get off public assistance. Sounds like he/she also works full time. Would you prefer to support someone for the rest of their lives because they have no way to increase their income? Given the choice, I'd much rather help someone who is actively trying to improve their situation instead of someone who is just coasting along trying to survive without making any improvements.

As for the original question, try the route 1 corridor in Alexandria - an easier commute to DC and although there are a few schools I'd avoid, there are many that, while not as desirable as some others, are really not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 43,339 times
Thanks Marie!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Marie, I responded to you just because I'm very touched that you would speak out in support of those who don't abuse the program, but I have honestly given up on this thread as well as the DC one. To an extent I understand their frustration, but I will not be bullied by any of them, not a one. I'm expected to apologize for a program that admittedly has flaws? Entitlement? The danger of painting with a wide brush and making unasserted assumptions is that you let your bias shine through....

Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
Some of the responses in this thread are just plain ignorant and come from people who do not understand how these programs work. The purpose is not to enable people but to help those who are in a difficult situation to better themselves. It just so happens that there are many people who do game the system, but that doesn't mean everyone who is in these programs do. Given what the OP has stated about herself to be true, it appears that she is making a concerted effort to better herself and to be able to better provide for herself and her family. Isn't that the point? What do you suggest, to keep the poor, poor? As a father of two girls myself, I applaud anyone who is able to juggle the demands of working, going to school and being a parent. I'm thankful that my wife is there with me to raise our children, so I can only imagine what it is like to do all of those things at the same time, especially if the OP is by herself in doing so. Bottom line, government programs are created for situations like this. If we aren't helping people who are trying to better themselves, then what is truly the point of these programs?

To the OP, if you are still looking, I would suggest contacting some local government offices to see if they have a listing of housing available for Section 8. What you may often find is owners who register with the government, will be advertised by that local agency. Also, as far as transportation, do you receive transportation subsidies from your job? There may be some public transportation options that make it easier for you to commute, but still allow you to go to work and school.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for being the ones to help bring some truthful information into the discussion. I sort of struggle between being hopelessly frustrated at the people who comment away without knowing exactly what it is they're talking about, and understanding why they're frustrated. I can't be responsible for everyone who games the system, nor will I be. I suppose in a year or two it won't matter because I won't be eligible for the program anymore, but I'm okay with that . That was its purpose; to help me get to a point where I'm no longer in need of it. I'm glad to let someone else have the same chance I did and take my voucher...I do indeed have a subsidy for transportation. The issue comes from the days I'm at school (about 3X/week). I don't leave campus until about quarter to ten, and there are no buses heading to my area from DC that late. Days I don't have school it's swell. If it is possible (I will look into your suggestion about checking with the local government offices) something somewhat close to a metro (ANY metro I'm not picky) would help dodge this problem. But I know how expensive those places can be by virtue of their location alone, so we shall see.....

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
If we aren't helping people who are trying to better themselves, then what is truly the point of these programs?
I'd like to better myself by going to Law School, but cannot afford the tuition. Should the government pay me to be able to do it? I don't think so. The OP already has her undergrad degree, which puts her on par with most of the working professionals (with children) in this area who do NOT accept government subsidies for housing. I applaud people who are trying to better themselves. Honestly, it should be what each and every individual does every day of their life. It should be the standard, not the abnormal. It should be expected, not necessarily rewarded.

But, to have a government which funds programs to give money to people for luxuries (and, yes, a GRADUATE degree is most definately a luxury) is one of the reasons we are in this budget/ sequestration problem today.

(I can't believe this thread resurfaced.)

Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'd like to better myself by going to Law School, but cannot afford the tuition. Should the government pay me to be able to do it? I don't think so. The OP already has her undergrad degree, which puts her on par with most of the working professionals (with children) in this area who do NOT accept government subsidies for housing. I applaud people who are trying to better themselves. Honestly, it should be what each and every individual does every day of their life. It should be the standard, not the abnormal. It should be expected, not necessarily rewarded.

But, to have a government which funds programs to give money to people for luxuries (and, yes, a GRADUATE degree is most definately a luxury) is one of the reasons we are in this budget/ sequestration problem today.

(I can't believe this thread resurfaced.)
Well, it depends on her circumstances. Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean they make a lot of money. Another factor that weighs in, is if the person has kids, which she does. When you divide a low salary with a larger family that means a person has less money to pay their bills. That is the reason why most of the people that qualify for these programs are single parents with kids who live with them.

As far as your point of law school, what you are describing is a desire. Having a place to live is a necessity for survival. She isn't receiving money to go to school or to take care of her kids, she's receiving money to pay for her housing, so how are the two the same? Clearly she is working to pay for the rest and I'm assuming that she is receiving some type of financial aid to go to school, so what exactly is the issue?

I agree that the government abuses money, but a lot of this also comes from people who find ways to game the system. If the government did a better job of tracking the usage of funds, then we wouldn't have so much wasteful spending. I just don't understand what you expect for someone to do. Are you saying that you wouldn't aid someone TEMPORARILY who is unable to afford a place for her and her children to live in?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean they make a lot of money.
Well, of course it doesn't. But the goverment shouldn't funnel money to everyone who "doesn't make a lot of money".

Quote:
As far as your point of law school, what you are describing is a desire. Having a place to live is a necessity for survival. She isn't receiving money to go to school or to take care of her kids, she's receiving money to pay for her housing, so how are the two the same? Clearly she is working to pay for the rest and I'm assuming that she is receiving some type of financial aid to go to school, so what exactly is the issue?
Having a place to live is necessary for survival. But, if someone wasn't spending their time or money to attend graduate school (which is a desire, as you pointed out), then they could a) afford the housing, or b) pick up a second job to afford the housing. The government (i.e. me, as one of the 48% of people who pay Federal income taxes) is assisting with the housing because her other money is being spent on a luxury. I, too, could afford law school, if I received a subsidy for housing. So, the issue is that I should not be paying to assist her in her graduate studies when I cannot afford to do so myself.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Well, of course it doesn't. But the goverment shouldn't funnel money to everyone who "doesn't make a lot of money".
So who, in your opinion, should they 'funnel' money to?

Quote:
Having a place to live is necessary for survival. But, if someone wasn't spending their time or money to attend graduate school (which is a desire, as you pointed out), then they could a) afford the housing, or b) pick up a second job to afford the housing. The government (i.e. me, as one of the 48% of people who pay Federal income taxes) is assisting with the housing because her other money is being spent on a luxury. I, too, could afford law school, if I received a subsidy for housing. So, the issue is that I should not be paying to assist her in her graduate studies when I cannot afford to do so myself.
Do you not understand what financial aid involves? I went to college and my parents barely provided any money for me to go to school. So how was it possible for this to happen? I took out student loans, loans which I am still paying for even today. Going to school, does not mean you have the money right then and there to go to school. People take out loans all the time and have to pay for them later. Clearly you don't have one of those infamous Sallie Mae experiences. If she has taken out a loan she is going to have to pay it back. It's no different than getting a mortgage or a car note.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
So who, in your opinion, should they 'funnel' money to?

Do you not understand what financial aid involves? I went to college and my parents barely provided any money for me to go to school. So how was it possible for this to happen? I took out student loans, loans which I am still paying for even today. Going to school, does not mean you have the money right then and there to go to school. People take out loans all the time and have to pay for them later. Clearly you don't have one of those infamous Sallie Mae experiences. If she has taken out a loan she is going to have to pay it back. It's no different than getting a mortgage or a car note.
I had so much undergrad debt (which included tuition AND housing), it took me 15 years to pay off. So, yes, I understand loans and understand that she will pay them back. But I also understand that I am now paying to assist in her housing. (and this is not housing for an undergrad degree, because she has that. It's housing for a graduate degree, something many people cannot afford to pursue.) While she will have to pay the tuition loans back, this housing assistance is free to her, but out of my pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia