Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,463,011 times

Advertisements

The Greenway is not congestion pricing, at least not in the sense the HOT Lanes are (with a feedback mechanism). There are, however, two different rates depending on whether it's rush hour or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,973,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
That is exactly right! I'm not violating any written law, I'm choosing the alternative to the issue, the path of least resistance. I'm also making the educated decision that if I'm going to pay $2 for something, I'd rather it be as enjoyable as possible, like say a breakfast snack and a Coke, instead of a traffic jam. Sitting their weeks ago, stuck in traffic because of construction on the DTR, asking myself the question of why am I paying to sit here, as I'm watching car after car after car, just cruise on by me on the airport road. If you're going to charge people for something, it should be a better alternative than what they can get for the same amount of money elsewhere.

And call it what you want, but paying $5 for the greenway is plenty. It's not my fault if the VDOT folks or airport folks get screwed by it. Their in the road business, they made the business decision to forego the greenway. You can't fix stupid, but you can use it to your own advantage.
Actually the idea of a private toll road isn't that bad by itself. I do wish the ICC had been built by a private company....that would have prevented the statewide toll hikes on ALL of Maryland's toll facilities. I never use the ICC and don't even live near it but have to pay for its construction.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 AM

513 posts, read 963,227 times
How cheap and pathetic can you get. Are 4.00 tolls roundtrip going to be too much for you to spend a few times.

Liberals are embarrassing.

I weekly paid the baltimore tolls to go to my yacht out on middle river for several years.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
How cheap and pathetic can you get. Are 4.00 tolls roundtrip going to be too much for you to spend a few times.

I weekly paid the baltimore tolls to go to my yacht out on middle river for several years.
Not a Lib here but your last line got me. Yacht? I guess you could easily afford the tolls anywhere. Must be part of the %1.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,818,645 times
Quote:

I think Tom Lennox is anything but a liberal.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,463,011 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not a Lib here but your last line got me. Yacht? I guess you could easily afford the tolls anywhere. Must be part of the %1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think Tom Lennox is anything but a liberal.
Yeah, Tom's posts have not been of the typical liberal variety - in fact a lot of the opposite.

However, that won't stop mcleanexec from using any excuse and pretext to take random potshots and brag about his alleged wealth. It's a very odd practice, actually.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Yes, Mr McLean Exec I am quite the conservative Republican. In fact having been throughout Virginia, the area I fit in best is Lynchburg. Tolls are actually a very liberal and Democrat thing to me. IN Baltimore and Maryland its the Democrats who are raising the tolls. If you look at the states with the most ridiculouss tolls like Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts they are all Democrat states. and all states that refuse to give more tax money toward highways and love focusing on mass transit. I am also very much opposed to big government and over-taxation. I see tolls as a form of tax to be honest. In most conservative states, like my native Louisiana, tolls are very cheap. So $4 on the Greenway????? Its $8 round trip across Baltimore harbor one a short pathetic tunnel or the short Key Bridge. In New Orleans, the 24 miles Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, built to withstand hurricanes, is $3 round trip. The tolls in more conservative southern Virginia, like Richmond and Hampton Roads, are far cheaper than NOVA's.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 PM

Oh yes and can anyone actually still comment on the amount of traffic heading westbound from the DUlles area into Leesburg on the Greenway or Route 7 on weekday mornings???? I have to be in court in Leesburg on a Friday morning at 8:30 (want to arrive by 8:10 or so) and am choosing between a hotel in Leesburg vs a cheaper and nicer one around Dulles Airport (the Comfort Suites in Leesburg vs. the Aloft Dulles North hotel in Sterling/Dulles). The Dulles hotel looks nicer and cheaper by over $20 while the Leesburg hotel according to Google maps is 4 minutes drive. I also wonder about how bad traffic is within the city of Leesburg on a weekday morning. I know many people live there and commute to Dulles, Tysons Corner or Washington DC but do a lot of people also work in and commute to Leesburg?

I typically drive in Northern Virginia (have relatives in Vienna, go to concerts at Jiffy Lube sometimes and pass through often on my way to Lynchburg, Richmond, or points South) a few times a year and it is quite nightmarish whether its 66, 495, or 95. The Springfield interchange matches anything I seen in Los Angeles or Dallas. Montgomery County's traffic is also quite bad not just on the freeways (which there isn't enough of) but on local roads as well and nobody uses the ICC really.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
You will have zero problems heading to Leesburg in the morning from Dulles.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,394,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its $8 round trip across Baltimore harbor one a short pathetic tunnel or the short Key Bridge.
It's $6, or $5.40 with MD EZ Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia