Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:19 PM

142 posts, read 273,016 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to figure out how you've been driving around for a year and THEN you fail two driving tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:35 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why not go to a driving school? They will help you get it right. They cost a little bit, but are worth it.
Agreed 100%. The things that you described sounds like someone that learned how to drive on their own with very little attention to detail. When you take those driving tests, you have to make sure that you properly uses signals and use mirrors. Those things are the difference between passing and failing. Driving schools spend a lot of time on these things. I was fortunate because my father taught me and he was a driving instructor at one point, in addition to going to driving school. Not only do you need to understand the basics, but you need to learn the road rules too and driving school will get you there. Their goal is to get you to pass the test so I believe it would be money well spent.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Honestly, we need more of the road testers like the OP had. I'm not sure how a lot of people around here got their licenses in the first place.
They passed in other states which may be scary lax.

The individual driving school is great idea

WTH is she doing "Driving for a year" without a license?!!!

Your disabled fiance is available for Metro Access, at a huge discount/free, and is probably a safer passenger in the van than with the you. He can make appointments for service

[URL="https://www.wmata.com/accessibility/metroaccess_eligibility.cfm"]https://www.wmata.com/accessibility/metroaccess_eligibility.cfm[/URL]

I'm reading the OP and her attitude, wishing there was an emoticon showing my heading spinning and puking. Jeez!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 PM

211 posts, read 409,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben 'n Jen View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you've been driving around for a year and THEN you fail two driving tests.
I would hope she has a learners permit, that will allow her to drive as long as she has a licensed driver with her, unless things have changed since i got my license back in the day.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,218 times
Most younger people who are learning to drive go to driving school before even taking the driving test the first time. I would take a course designed for the beginning driver at a driving school versus just learning from those around you. If I had learned from my parents or friends I probably would have failed too. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM

57 posts, read 53,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpie2013 View Post
@boxus: That's not very helpful. I've never drive recklessly or been pulled over. I am not a bad driver. My fiancé has MS and it's very important for me to be able to drive on my own in case he cannot walk well at some point.
Pumpkin...hon...you are not a good enough driver to be driving AT ALL right now. The discussion is not about whether or not you are a good person nor whether or not you're trying hard to become a better driver. You just need to go to driving school to become more skilled in EVERY area of driving. There are some great driving schools around here, and when you graduate you will KNOW how to drive.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
They passed in other states which may be scary lax.
Don't kid yourself. Virginia doesn't do anything special that other states don't.

Quote:
The individual driving school is great idea

Quote:
WTH is she doing "Driving for a year" without a license?!!!

Your disabled fiance is available for Metro Access, at a huge discount/free, and is probably a safer passenger in the van than with the you. He can make appointments for service

https://www.wmata.com/accessibility/...ligibility.cfm

I'm reading the OP and her attitude, wishing there was an emoticon showing my heading spinning and puking. Jeez!
The attittude may have sucked, but it's understandable why they would not want to use Metro Access. I quit using them after being stranded numerous times.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
I think studies have been done and if you ask a person if s/he is a very good driver, about 85% say yes, but as anyone who drives around the DC metro area regularly knows, the true number of very good drivers around these parts is, at best, about 20%. So, most people simply do not have an accurate idea of their own skill. Just because a person hasn't been in a serious accident doesn't mean his or her driving skills are good.

So, yes, please get professional driver training. Those testers at the DMV are trying to keep us all safe on the road, and they see every kind of driver imaginable day in, day out. Since you failed twice, you just aren't ready yet to be unsupervised behind the wheel.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
Everybody who has been driving for a while has habits that may work for them based on their driving experiences, but don't necessarily transfer well to a novice driver that they are teaching. So a driving school in addition to learning from your fiance would be very helpful both for passing the test and for your safety.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,357 times
I'll give you a tip; TAKE THE BUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: