Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Don't kid yourself. Virginia doesn't do anything special that other states don't.

The attittude may have sucked, but it's understandable why they would not want to use Metro Access. I quit using them after being stranded numerous times.

I lived in many states. Driving tests reqs are most definitely different state to state.

Metro Access is no different than using Metro Bus as sole transportation. Not everyone has a choice between metro and a car so us former bus users certainly know what its like to 'depend' on the bus. Metro Access is the same as Metro bus in terms of general reliability. Get used to it. Its not supposed to be Uber/Limo quality.

As for her awful attitude, I seriously wonder if she would speak to her parents or her boss like she has here! Amazed anyone would hire her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 AM

529 posts, read 753,723 times
Looks like you definitely need more practice. May be it will be helpful if you follow old school way, don't use blind spot mirrors/cameras/sensors etc. It will be helpful for you, not just from driving test point of view.

What if you are travelling and need to rent a car? Not all rental cars have blind spot mirrors/sensors etc. It's always better if you learn and master the basic skills.

Also, when you make a right turn at an intersection, you are supposed to join the right-most lane, not the second/third right lanes. This shows you have better control.

Practice few more months and have a close friend with you to observe how you drive for a few days before you go for a third road test. If your friend finds fault, then obviously you need more practice.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,438,277 times
You need some more drivers ed time, meaning time with a REAL driving instructor. You say you've been driving regularly but somebody driving for a year couldn't fail a road test if they tried. Sorry but if you can't figure out how to turn on headlights EVEN in a car you've never driven, something is wrong. There is a BIG difference between getting a car from point A to point B vs. being a good driver. Sounds like you were taught to drive by a bad driver (no shortage of them on the road) or somebody that has failed to correct mistakes your making and now driving poorly is habit.

Also, on the turning/swerving thing. That's called "looking with the car" and it's VERY common for new drivers to do! People almost never realize there doing it. I've seen it a million times.

On the staying in your lane thing, cars are small, it shouldn't be hard to keep a car in a standard sized lane. Which means you were nervous, nervous equals accidents, hence more training is in order.

The highway on ramp is another, if YOU were in the lane already YOU have right of way, not the person who didn't pay attention which you should know. Allowing people like that to skip place is what causes pile ups!

You NEED NEED NEED to re-study the drivers manual, practice with a REAL instructor even if only a few times and do NOT take a car to the road test your not familiar and comfortable driving. Whatever training you've done up to this point (a years worth?) isn't working.

Good Luck

Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I lived in many states. Driving tests reqs are most definitely different state to state.
Yes, they are different. I did not say that they were not different. Virginia's pretty good, but there are states that are better, and states that are worse. So, saying that if a person is a bad driver that they must have came from another state is ridiculous. Virginia has its share of homegrown bad drivers.

Quote:
Metro Access is no different than using Metro Bus as sole transportation. Not everyone has a choice between metro and a car so us former bus users certainly know what its like to 'depend' on the bus. Metro Access is the same as Metro bus in terms of general reliability. Get used to it. Its not supposed to be Uber/Limo quality.
I'm not sure what your point is. I don't remember asking for limo quality. I do remember expecting them to pick me up within 3 hours of the scheduled time. Yes, I have had to sit out in the freezing cold for up to 3 hours waiting for them. This is me, personally, not some article you read somewhere. Metro Access reliability is NOT the same as Metrobus. I have used both extensively.

Quote:
As for her awful attitude, I seriously wonder if she would speak to her parents or her boss like she has here! Amazed anyone would hire her!
I guess. The OP seemed to have a bad attitude, but they came back later and it seemed okay to me. YMMV, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: