Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What botehrs me about the I95 project is that they have effectively removed two lanes of usable road permanently to the general population. Sure, from 6-9AM and 3:30-whatever time in the evening, only a select group of the people can use those lanes; however, at all other times, two lanes of traffic are available for use in a given direction. Anyone can use them. And if you don't think that those two lanes make a big difference on weekends in the summer in the direction that those two lanes are flowing, all you have to do is look to the other side and see the difference.

That said, now anyone can ride those lanes during rush hour; provided you are flush enough with cash to do it. I saw someone on TV complaining about this that it's really something that favors people who making more money. The rest of the people get to sit in gridlock. I can tell you that I am at a point in my life that I will pay whatever to bypass the traffic but there was a time I could not have done that. I really don't like that aspect of the HOT lanes.

At least on 495, they got 2 extra lanes out of it and didn't impact their regular lanes. In that particular case, I see the reasoning for the HOT lanes. But on I95, they just "took" our lanes.
^ This here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
^ This here.
Was the Commonwealth compensated for the sell of the public lanes to a private entity?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,028,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
even if you only carpool, you are still paying $1/month for the EZ Pass
As far as I understand, the $1 is waived if you only carpool and never use the ez pass for anything else.

https://www.495expresslanes.com/faqs

Quote:
How much does E-ZPass cost?

In Virginia, the standard E-ZPass has a monthly fee of $0.50. New customers must pay $35 in pre-paid tolls when opening an E-ZPass account. If you got a standard E-ZPass before July 9, 2012, you will not pay a monthly fee until you replace your existing E-ZPass or add a new one to your account. The Virginia E-ZPass Flex has a monthly fee of $1. New customers must pay $35 in pre-paid tolls when opening an E-ZPass account. The monthly fee is waived during the months you use your Flex transponder exclusively for HOV-3 on the Express Lanes. You will be charged the fee during the months you use the Flex on another toll facility, in the non-HOV mode on the Express Lanes or if the transponder is unused. For more information and to sign up, please visit the Virginia E-ZPass website.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
As far as I understand, the $1 is waived if you only carpool and never use the ez pass for anything else.

I thought the ez pass transmitter still cost $5 / month, even if it was switched to HOV at all times.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post

Ok, but if you are only using it for HOV, the $35 you prepaid is being held by VDOT.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,438,086 times
As of now, from mid saturday through sunday, anyone traveling south on regular 495 (from Tyson's Corner) can take the left exit and use the 395 HOV lanes to head north into DC. These new 95 HOT lanes seem to start/end at Edsall Rd though.

I assume this exit will still be opening for people using the lanes during the week. Anyone know if there now be a toll for the ~2 mile of the 95 hot lanes you'd be traveling on? From reading the FAQ it appears as though there will not be, but it isn't 100% clear.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM

810 posts, read 1,028,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I thought the ez pass transmitter still cost $5 / month, even if it was switched to HOV at all times.
Not sure where the $5 / month came from but here's my account statement. You can see the times where I used the express lanes in HOV mode exclusively I was never charged a maintenance fee for the month.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,421,046 times
I'm probably being overly optimistic but I think it's going to work... or at least I'm hoping. Some days traffic is so bad I'll pay pretty much any amount just to get out of it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,792,089 times
I really wonder just how high the tolls will get. I won't be surprised in the least for them to be at $20 or $30 during peak times. Who knows? It might even go higher. Since I only really travel 95 for any significant length when going out of town, I would probably be willing to pay $20 or $30 for the few times a year I go if it meant avoiding an hour or more of gridlock. But, I definitely wouldn't pay that on a daily basis. If it went to $40 or $50, I'd probably say I'll put up with an extra hour of traffic.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,375,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I really wonder just how high the tolls will get. I won't be surprised in the least for them to be at $20 or $30 during peak times. Who knows? It might even go higher. Since I only really travel 95 for any significant length when going out of town, I would probably be willing to pay $20 or $30 for the few times a year I go if it meant avoiding an hour or more of gridlock. But, I definitely wouldn't pay that on a daily basis. If it went to $40 or $50, I'd probably say I'll put up with an extra hour of traffic.
Do you currently have an EZ Pass transmitter or would you get one? I haven't found the need to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia