Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
The regular EZ Pass or "upgrade fee" seems to me like nothing but a way to extract more money from EZ Pass users. They probably want users such as myself who will rarely use the HOV mode, but want the ability to use it just in case, to go with a regular EZ Pass and have to always pay the tolls. If I want the privilege of having the EZ Pass Flex, then I have to pay the $10 upgrade fee. I suppose they may argue that the EZ Pass Flex costs more money to manufacture than a regular EZ Pass, which I might be willing to buy, but it does seem suspect to me. Glad I got my two EZ Pass Flexes before October 1st.

Me too, I've had mine for awhile. I think there was probably a "rush" on the Flex transponders that they did not predict and, yeah, I'm sure they are more expensive to manufacture. Just make sure, if you have a newer one, to pick up a slug every once in awhile. Or take your family on a ride once every 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
The regular EZ Pass or "upgrade fee" seems to me like nothing but a way to extract more money from EZ Pass users. They probably want users such as myself who will rarely use the HOV mode, but want the ability to use it just in case, to go with a regular EZ Pass and have to always pay the tolls. If I want the privilege of having the EZ Pass Flex, then I have to pay the $10 upgrade fee. I suppose they may argue that the EZ Pass Flex costs more money to manufacture than a regular EZ Pass, which I might be willing to buy, but it does seem suspect to me. Glad I got my two EZ Pass Flexes before October 1st.
I didn't know that about the EZ Pass Flex... I was actually going to get one for when I had family visit to take advantage of the HOV. It seems like the state is more interested in the profit motive than encouraging people to carpool and use public transportation. What a joke...

Old 12-04-2014, 03:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
I would like to believe that politicians, Vdot, and the contractor would (after construction), have improved traffic flow while making a profit for both Vdot and contractor. However it's unlikely that everyone will be pleased in the end. I'm hoping that the current Hov traffic remains efficient knowing that everyone will have to pay a toll outside of the normal rush hours.

My guess is that there is enough pain on I95 that enough drivers will pay to ride the lightning. For example, truck drivers. Truck drivers lose money stopped in traffic. The current Hot lanes on the beltway are loaded with trucks that can pass along the costs and they are more efficient. Those rare moving trucks now during Hov hours are the bane of our commute. Between buses and semi trucks, they both don't help the flow of traffic but are a part of Hov. If we triple the number of trucks on Hov, the impact will be much greater.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:35 PM

97 posts, read 113,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Get-Flex.aspx

From the VDOT EZPass web page:

Please Note: Beginning July 1st 2015, users who have not used their Flex transponder for HOV transactions on Express Lanes for any prior six month period will be required to exchange their Flex transponder for a standard transponder (at no cost) or be subject to a one-time transponder functionality upgrade fee of $10. This only applies to transponders issued after October 1st 2014.
This is basically a brand new fee that started last month. We got ours in August before this new fee kicked in, and after the monthly fee was removed. At that time, we saw no reason not to get the flex, but the situation has changed.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:41 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I would like to believe that politicians, Vdot, and the contractor would (after construction), have improved traffic flow while making a profit for both Vdot and contractor. However it's unlikely that everyone will be pleased in the end. I'm hoping that the current Hov traffic remains efficient knowing that everyone will have to pay a toll outside of the normal rush hours.

My guess is that there is enough pain on I95 that enough drivers will pay to ride the lightning. For example, truck drivers. Truck drivers lose money stopped in traffic. The current Hot lanes on the beltway are loaded with trucks that can pass along the costs and they are more efficient. Those rare moving trucks now during Hov hours are the bane of our commute. Between buses and semi trucks, they both don't help the flow of traffic but are a part of Hov. If we triple the number of trucks on Hov, the impact will be much greater.
Depends on the new rules. The 495 HOT lanes ban tractor trailers - I see the occasional one that winds up on the lanes pulled over all the time. If the I95 lanes block them as well, they'll all wind up on 95. It's a pretty healthy fine too if you keep doing it.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Depends on the new rules. The 495 HOT lanes ban tractor trailers - I see the occasional one that winds up on the lanes pulled over all the time. If the I95 lanes block them as well, they'll all wind up on 95. It's a pretty healthy fine too if you keep doing it.
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know tractor trailers were not allowed; never saw any signs prohibiting tractor trailers from getting on Hot lanes. That explains why you saw them pulled over; thought it was for speeding. When the Hot lanes open, nobody used them so they raised the speed limit to 65. The 95 Hot lanes have speed limit signage in LEDs so everyone is getting the impression the speed limit will be lower than 65 due to heavy volume.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:41 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,305 times
Vehicles with more than two axles are not permitted to use the toll lanes. So a big truck can still use the lanes as long as they only have two axles.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 AM

359 posts, read 476,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I think the traffic on 95 will get worse..much worse...once this toll starts. The tolls are set so high that most people who use the express lanes non-rush hour will now be back on the regular lanes. The gridlock will get worse.

I work in DC but live in Stafford Co. My work hours are never the same from one week to the next so I am unable to carpool. That means that I will be forced to use the regular lanes all the time. I simply cannot afford the really high tolls being charged. Already my commute is about one and a half hours each way..at LEAST...and I anticipate it getting much longer. It has caused me to re-evaluate if I want to continue living here.

That said, I have started looking for a house in Richmond. I can commute by plane to work from there and avoid this odious traffic situation. I don't want to move...really, I love my house...but the commute has become just too much. I used to love NOVA ..I have lived here since 1980...but now I am starting to hate it, all because of traffic. So, good luck to all who have to commute. Carpoolers will love it, regular folks will hate it.
Why don't you just pick up some slugs? Thats what I do whenever I have to drive in.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:07 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know tractor trailers were not allowed; never saw any signs prohibiting tractor trailers from getting on Hot lanes. That explains why you saw them pulled over; thought it was for speeding. When the Hot lanes open, nobody used them so they raised the speed limit to 65. The 95 Hot lanes have speed limit signage in LEDs so everyone is getting the impression the speed limit will be lower than 65 due to heavy volume.
Technically I think trucks are not supposed to be in the HOV lanes either but it doesn't get enforced. I see signs all the time that say "cars and motorcycles only."

Old 12-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Technically I think trucks are not supposed to be in the HOV lanes either but it doesn't get enforced. I see signs all the time that say "cars and motorcycles only."
Today during HOV rush hours, there was a flatbed truck hauler that was traveling down the HOT/hov lanes solo driver. His flashy yellow lights asked to be pulled over but he wasn't. A few cars had solo drivers again today and the state police were pulling people over at least on the morning commute.

That third lane is soooo nice right now with so few people on the Hot lanes. Door to door from Crystal city to Woodbridge in less than 30 minutes. Very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia