Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
I used the HOV express today around 3:00 pm going south. I got out at the 619 exit and the HOV lane was
backed up all the way from the Stafford merge all the way back to the Quantico exit a good 5 miles.
What a nightmare! Like I said in an earlier post, all they did was move the bottle neck to Stafford.
The main difference between the old and new bottle neck is that in 2015, some of the folks will be paying customers upwards of $25 to have the privilege of sitting in the HOT lanes bottle neck vs the free I95 bottleneck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 11:13 AM

349 posts, read 1,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The main difference between the old and new bottle neck is that in 2015, some of the folks will be paying customers upwards of $25 to have the privilege of sitting in the HOT lanes bottle neck vs the free I95 bottleneck.
Once the tolls start, there shouldn't be backups on the toll lanes (regular lanes are a different story) at the final merge point since the tolls increase until traffic lets off regardless of price. The operator will simply jack up the price for that final segment to encourage enough users to get off the tolls lanes at the prior exits.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:25 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Once the tolls start, there shouldn't be backups on the toll lanes (regular lanes are a different story) at the final merge point since the tolls increase until traffic lets off regardless of price. The operator will simply jack up the price for that final segment to encourage enough users to get off the tolls lanes at the prior exits.
Except that remember, these toll roads are HOV and I95 has historically had very high HOV use. So, even before the "tolls", we had backups from the HOV where it ends to merge into regular traffic. Those carpoolers are NOT going away on Dec 29. So besides the regular, usual carpoolers (which will only increase not decrease with HOT) we will now have the toll-paying single riders. The backup will be there as usual.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I see your point but even if true, paying customers are not going to exit if they see the regular lanes at a standstill. They are going to continue their HOT lane route knowing they still are paying more to continue on the road with moving traffic. I predict that drivers will not remain silent when or if toll prices reach $25 each way. Something has to give and politicians will not sit idly by if the tolls become outrageous in an attempt to reduce ridership. If the toll company gets too greedy, something regulatory will be changed.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:57 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
I was surprised when I realized that the people getting off at Garrisonville have to get off the Express Lanes and merge back on to 95 to take the exit... so essentially they've just moved the bottleneck from Dumfries to Quantico/Stafford.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,087 times
Quote:
I see your point but even if true, paying customers are not going to exit if they see the regular lanes at a standstill. They are going to continue their HOT lane route knowing they still are paying more to continue on the road with moving traffic. I predict that drivers will not remain silent when or if toll prices reach $25 each way. Something has to give and politicians will not sit idly by if the tolls become outrageous in an attempt to reduce ridership. If the toll company gets too greedy, something regulatory will be changed.
The price for the 495 HOT lanes reach $10-12 during rush hour for the full length and the 95 lanes are twice as long so $25 wouldn't be too outrageous to go from Stafford to Springfield.

What will likely happen is those later segments around 234 and 610 will get really expensive to drive whereas the earlier segments around Springfield and Lorton may not be so much on a per mile basis. 495 is like that where the busiest segments are more expensive than others.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:12 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,998 times
Quote:
The toll rates are supposed to be set when you first enter the lanes. Once you've decided to use the toll lanes there's no reason except maybe for an accident blocking the lanes to exit before your intended destination.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
The toll rates are supposed to be set when you first enter the lanes. Once you've decided to use the toll lanes there's no reason except maybe for an accident blocking the lanes to exit before your intended destination.
I could be mistaken but I believe that is only partially correct. My understanding is that the Fairfax County Parkway will serve as a dividing line and that the toll displayed when you enter the express lanes will only be good until the Fairfax County Parkway, after which time a new toll for the remaining length will be displayed and you will have to decide whether you want to continue in the lanes with that toll. This is different from the 495 express lanes where your toll will be locked in place once you enter the lanes for the entirety of the express lanes if you so choose to continue for the entire length.

Edit: I just looked at the FAQs on the 95 Express Lanes website. It says that whenever you see a toll sign, you will merely be locking in the toll displayed until the last exit displayed on that toll sign. With digital signs, this can easily change. I'm not sure where I got the FFX County Pkwy dividing line idea from - maybe that will be where the toll for the last stretch going northbound will generally be displayed. Regardless, it sounds like the toll rate for the entirety of the 95 Express Lanes will be in no way guaranteed when you enter the lanes and they will easily be able to increase the tolls if there starts to be a backup.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:43 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,998 times
I'm used to using the 495 express lanes. I didn't realize the 95 express lanes might have different rules.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I could be mistaken but I believe that is only partially correct. My understanding is that the Fairfax County Parkway will serve as a dividing line and that the toll displayed when you enter the express lanes will only be good until the Fairfax County Parkway, after which time a new toll for the remaining length will be displayed and you will have to decide whether you want to continue in the lanes with that toll. This is different from the 495 express lanes where your toll will be locked in place once you enter the lanes for the entirety of the express lanes if you so choose to continue for the entire length.

Edit: I just looked at the FAQs on the 95 Express Lanes website. It says that whenever you see a toll sign, you will merely be locking in the toll displayed until the last exit displayed on that toll sign. With digital signs, this can easily change. I'm not sure where I got the FFX County Pkwy dividing line idea from - maybe that will be where the toll for the last stretch going northbound will generally be displayed. Regardless, it sounds like the toll rate for the entirety of the 95 Express Lanes will be in no way guaranteed when you enter the lanes and they will easily be able to increase the tolls if there starts to be a backup.
Can anyone imagine what other commerce changes after you buy. If airline tickets cost more after you bought because seats are getting short, that would be ridiculous. I can't imagine that the fidelity of I95 will require real time price updates. I thought I knew the FAQ but obviously not. There are over 80 FAQ posted on the Hot lane website. January will be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia