Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times

Advertisements

Bob was too busy pumping billions into boondoggles like Coal Fields Expressway and 460 to connect bum**** with bum****. Fortunately we now have an administration that actually cares about Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Bob was too busy pumping billions into boondoggles like Coal Fields Expressway and 460 to connect bum**** with bum****. Fortunately we now have an administration that actually cares about Northern Virginia.
He and his cronies cared about the Bi-County Parkway.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:11 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post

I could not have said it better myself. That absolutely is what SHOULD HAVE but WAS NOT done.
VA and McBob did a real half assed job.

First, I 95 sucks to exit 126 for the same reason the Jersey a Turnpike in Central Jersey sucks. I call it Central Jersey Turnpike Theory. I 95 gets as if not more congested the further south towards Fredericksburg, which is an inverse of what one would expect. Normally as you move away from the urban core, congestion eases. However, in Central Jersey, I 295 ends and so long distance and local traffic are squeezed onto the same road. There's less development but only one through route.

Stafford to exit 126 has the same issue, compounded because there has been a ton of growth. Thus local traffic has increased, but there is only one through route.

The best solution would have been to expand I 95 to a 4-2-2-4 setup like the beltway to Massapanox with 2 HOT lanes in each direction.

Instead we just stretched the central lanes about 12 miles, then stripped them of HOV 2 and general use for tolls.
HOT lanes are a good practical solution for NEW lanes and roads. THEY are absurd when not adding capacity and using previously free lanes.

This project won't help and may make things worse.
I agree with this, I-95 should have been widen with a 4-2-2-4 setup or at least a 4-2-4 setup from the beltway to Stafford. Like others have mentioned they will be essentially "removing" lanes replacing them with tolls, forcing drivers on the existing 3 lanes unless they pay an expensive toll.

Not to mention the confusion that will happen north of Edsall Road, where the lanes become regular HOV.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:01 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
I know, this whole thing is going to be interesting to watch, and live through. I travel the regular lanes very early. Traffic is so good, I don't even get in HOV because they are often worse outside of restricted hours. There are a TON of single drivers in the HOV lanes before 6AM. Theoretically, all of these drivers will now be only using 3/4 lanes of traffic in the morning. The powers that be have essentially taken a way usable traffic lanes (unless of course you have money to just throw away everyday). I just can't wait to see how it impacts traffic flow. I've got my FlexPass at the ready in case I need to go back to slugging.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:06 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I agree with this, I-95 should have been widen with a 4-2-2-4 setup or at least a 4-2-4 setup from the beltway to Stafford. Like others have mentioned they will be essentially "removing" lanes replacing them with tolls, forcing drivers on the existing 3 lanes unless they pay an expensive toll.

Not to mention the confusion that will happen north of Edsall Road, where the lanes become regular HOV.
That's where i predict the bottleneck to jam traffic. The return lane at Edsall is a single lane with a short ramp. When 395 N is stopped, it won't take too many cars to begin stopping the off ramp thus slowing or stopping the rest of 395. The toll purchasers will still see this as a good deal while HOV vehicles will ones cursing.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:28 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
When do they plan on switching them over? December?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:37 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
That's where i predict the bottleneck to jam traffic. The return lane at Edsall is a single lane with a short ramp. When 395 N is stopped, it won't take too many cars to begin stopping the off ramp thus slowing or stopping the rest of 395. The toll purchasers will still see this as a good deal while HOV vehicles will ones cursing.
Since the contractor is obligated to keep the lanes running, what you'll likely see is the 495 to Edsall Rd portion be really expensive relative to the rest of the express lanes. Toll payers will probably have the choice between getting off prior to the Springfield interchange or paying a hefty toll.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:14 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
When do they plan on switching them over? December?
The hot lane website doesn't give a start date. Their latest press release on November 19th simply says the public isn't aware of how the new hot lanes will operate. Okay....

Checked the FAQ page and its unclear exactly where the division will occur between those in a HOV vehicle and those paying the toll. I believe the hybrid plated vehicles cab jump on AFTER Edsall since it becomes HOV only. Will state troopers then be able to write tickets for violators but only north of Edsall? Its amazing that the future rules of these hot lanes are confusing to even those of us who drive these lanes everyday. The hot lanes website is not very helpful.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:18 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,679 times
There are a few signs on i-95 saying the switchover happens in December.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
According to a Washington Post reporter I follow on Twitter (Lori Aratani), the target date was 12/10 I believe (remember it being a Wednesday b/c that's weird). Color me thrilled to pay $25 to drive to Stafford.

And I can't wait to see the mass confusion at Edsall Road. According to a recent WTOP poll, only 32% of 95 carpoolers have gotten an Ezpass Flex. If people who use it everyday don't know what's changing, how will the average Joe know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia