Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,795,298 times

Advertisements

I wonder if any companies will purchase passes for their employees? If they charge around $15 each way that will be $600 per month

Last edited by afdinatl; 12-29-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 AM

97 posts, read 264,114 times
It may be too early to confirm this, but yesterday afternoon seemed like a bad omen: regular lanes of 95S below the beltway were backing up in the 2 o'clock hour instead of the 3 o'clock hour. It could have just been holiday travelers.

People who live far out have always had one card they could play to make traffic more bearable if they were willing: get up really early. I think now that card may have been taken away (or at least changed to be "really, really early").

Old 12-30-2014, 06:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,504,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I can't imagine that anyone, realistically, could afford daily use. It was never proposed as a "value" either. The cost per mile will be at least what it is on 495 and it's not cheap. Only for people with money to throw away.
There are a lot of people in this area with other people's money to throw away. I am sure there will be a large number passing this cost on in expenses and billable hours.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,539,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Haha. Right! We've been here 22 years and had never heard of "Turkeycock" before.

(Teehee. He said "Turkeycock". )
I really don't know what genius at Transurban thought it was a good idea to call it "Turkeycock." Couldn't make it anymore obvious they're from Australia, because no DC native would ever call it that when clearly you could call it a much simpler "Edsall Road."

This definitely isn't for daily use by the average commuter but it can be a huge boon for carpoolers and bus users in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area that can benefit from the 9 mile extension. I'm really dissappointed that Stafford isn't trying to take advantage of the new lanes and set up a commuter bus system like every other county in NOVA already has.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 AM

2,268 posts, read 3,730,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandBack-DoorsClosing View Post
It may be too early to confirm this, but yesterday afternoon seemed like a bad omen: regular lanes of 95S below the beltway were backing up in the 2 o'clock hour instead of the 3 o'clock hour. It could have just been holiday travelers.

People who live far out have always had one card they could play to make traffic more bearable if they were willing: get up really early. I think now that card may have been taken away (or at least changed to be "really, really early").
It was like this last year too between Christmas and New Years - no traffic in the morning, but traffic in the afternoon was a nightmare from 2-3pm right through the normal rush hour.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,411,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I'm really dissappointed that Stafford isn't trying to take advantage of the new lanes and set up a commuter bus system like every other county in NOVA already has.
I used to live in Stafford and this is something I never understood as well. There are so many things the county has refused to take part in or ignored over the years that could definitely help commuters like how Prince William, Fairfax and Loudoun have.

It's odd, most counties would take advantage of opportunities like that as it helps with growth but they don't really seem interested.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM

359 posts, read 477,818 times
took the lanes heading north today (with 2 slugs) all the way from end to end. left stafford at 7am, lanes were vacant until about exit 160, but still very empty. toll was set at ~$6 from Stafford to Springfield and then ~$2.50 from springfield to edsall rd.

will be interesting to see how the trip south is today leaving DC at 3:30... it was a nightmare last week without the toll.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 25,886,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I used to live in Stafford and this is something I never understood as well. There are so many things the county has refused to take part in or ignored over the years that could definitely help commuters like how Prince William, Fairfax and Loudoun have.

It's odd, most counties would take advantage of opportunities like that as it helps with growth but they don't really seem interested.
Don't they have VRE rail there?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,795,298 times
Check out the traffic map right now

Old 12-30-2014, 01:42 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,695,557 times
Just got home at 3:20. Left DC at 2:30. It would have cost me $3.50 from Newington to Dale City (cheaper than yesterday). I stayed in the regular lanes and it was slow.

Traffic is just weird this week. I don't think we will see normal traffic patterns until next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia