Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,237,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchernyak View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you all for your responses. I am looking for a more urban feel. we arefrom NYC but have lived in GA for the past 3 years, so we missed metropolitanarea. I would not consider myself outdoorsy person, but I would love to be nearcoffee shops and restaurants. I understand that might not be an option, so saferesidential neighborhood will work. Whatabout the area North of 395, closer to Crystal City or Landmark? Thank you for the suggestion fordaycare. Do they provide good amount ofeducational activities at Frog Pond?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
The areas suggested thus far are rather high density, even the suburban neighborhoods. Walkability - or lack thereof - may be an issue, but all of the usual midscale conveniences will be available to you in ten minutes or less.

There aren't really any house rentals along Route 1/Richmond Highway. However, as suggested earlier, looking at homes south of Old Town and east of Route 1 could be an option. You'd be looking at some of the more upscale neighborhoods in Southeast Fairfax County. Depending on where you choose to live, you wouldn't be far from the Belle View or Hollin Hall Shopping Centers. More of the usual retail and restaurant suspects can be found over Route 1. Although you don't consider yourself to be into the outdoors, you may find it enjoyable to walk/jog/bike along the Mount Vernon Trail adjacent to the riverfront. Heck, even just driving down George Washington Parkway (south of Old Town, anyway) can be relaxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,514,640 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you all for your responses. I am looking for a more urban feel. we arefrom NYC but have lived in GA for the past 3 years, so we missed metropolitanarea. I would not consider myself outdoorsy person, but I would love to be nearcoffee shops and restaurants. I understand that might not be an option, so saferesidential neighborhood will work. Whatabout the area North of 395, closer to Crystal City or Landmark? Thank you for the suggestion fordaycare. Do they provide good amount ofeducational activities at Frog Pond?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I was thinking Landmark because there are a few Town House communities in there that have rather large Town houses which you may be able to rent. I do not think it really a walkable area though. I would love to recommend Crystal City or Shirlington but I think they are out of your budget. I think most of the areas with walkable coffee shops and restaurants will be higher rent. There may be some town houses off Little River Turn Pike near Pine Crest golf course that may have rentals that would be closer than most to what you are looking for.

Closer to Crystal City is the Mt. Vernon area that has some little hip neighborhoods with coffee shops and restaurants but probably still out of your budget but I am not positive. I personally like the Crystal City, Shirlington, Mt. Vernon and Columbia Pike areas a lot.

Another option would be one ofthe TH communities around Eisenhower and Van Dorn in Alexandria City.

I would avoid all high rises like the plague.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 8,384 times
Thank you.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I was thinking Landmark because there are a few Town House communities in there that have rather large Town houses which you may be able to rent. I do not think it really a walkable area though. I would love to recommend Crystal City or Shirlington but I think they are out of your budget. I think most of the areas with walkable coffee shops and restaurants will be higher rent. There may be some town houses off Little River Turn Pike near Pine Crest golf course that may have rentals that would be closer than most to what you are looking for.
Just noting for the OP that Route 236 is a major thoroughfare known as (going eastward) Main Street in Fairfax City, Little River Turnpike in Fairfax County and Duke Street in Alexandria City.

Quote:
Closer to Crystal City is the Mt. Vernon area that has some little hip neighborhoods with coffee shops and restaurants but probably still out of your budget but I am not positive. I personally like the Crystal City, Shirlington, Mt. Vernon and Columbia Pike areas a lot.
Mount Vernon might be considered the catch-all name for the upscale communities east of Route 1 that I noted in my post. I'm not sure if, say, Belle View would be considered hip but it's convenient.

Quote:
Another option would be one of the TH communities around Eisenhower and Van Dorn in Alexandria City.

I would avoid all high rises like the plague.
Great suggestion for the OP to consider townhouse communities. That would definitely open up some options.

Not sure what the aversion is to high-rises. There are some good-to-great ones that would definitely come in below the OP's budget. Especially with a 1 1/2 year old, the OP won't be needing that outdoor space for another few years.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 PM

Thank you for your post. the daycare looks very interesting,we will visit it. I am looking for the area next to the coffe shops and restaurants. something trendy.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 PM

I will look into all the areas mentioned. I am tempted to be close to work to save on the commute but the northern parts of the town seem slightly more attractive.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
I will look into all the areas mentioned. I am tempted to be close to work to save on the commute but the northern parts of the town seem slightly more attractive.
Oddly, though traffic is bad, I prefer rush hour traffic to weekend traffic. During rush hour people are backed up but at least most know where they are going. On weekends you will get some git in the left lane driving 15 MPH under the speed limit, come to a complete stop and cut across 3 lanes of traffic to make a right turn. I find that annoying.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Just noting for the OP that Route 236 is a major thoroughfare known as (going eastward) Main Street in Fairfax City, Little River Turnpike in Fairfax County and Duke Street in Alexandria City.

Mount Vernon might be considered the catch-all name for the upscale communities east of Route 1 that I noted in my post. I'm not sure if, say, Belle View would be considered hip but it's convenient.

Great suggestion for the OP to consider townhouse communities. That would definitely open up some options.

Not sure what the aversion is to high-rises. There are some good-to-great ones that would definitely come in below the OP's budget. Especially with a 1 1/2 year old, the OP won't be needing that outdoor space for another few years.
I agree there are some nice high rises, but I have to aversions:

1. (And this is the most important one for me) Parking. There seem to be a lot that have very competitive parking situations and if I were to rent in one I would have to stop by late in the evening and early in the morning to see what I would have to deal with. This would compound with children.

2. IIRC in the last year there has been one or two shootings that I can think of and one stand off/fire situation in Tyson's. I know it is an over reaction but I do have my prejudices.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your post. the daycare looks very interesting,we will visit it. I am looking for the area next to the coffe shops and restaurants. something trendy.

If you want something close to trendy, you will have to be flexible towards condo or higher-end apartment rentals at your preferred price point. Old Town and Del Ray, as you acknowleged in your first post, will have what you are looking for in vibe but not with space. Crystal City (Arlington) will be even more expensive. It all comes down to what's most important to you. Most everyone that has moved to Northern Virginia in recent years has had to priortize between commute time, housing/neighborhood preferences and budget.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I agree there are some nice high rises, but I have to aversions:

1. (And this is the most important one for me) Parking. There seem to be a lot that have very competitive parking situations and if I were to rent in one I would have to stop by late in the evening and early in the morning to see what I would have to deal with. This would compound with children.

2. IIRC in the last year there has been one or two shootings that I can think of and one stand off/fire situation in Tyson's. I know it is an over reaction but I do have my prejudices.
Fair enough on 1). Regarding 2) I wouldn't want the OP to think there is a rash of crime going on in high-rises as I don't believe there is. Nonetheless, I certainly respect your personal preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia