Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 AM

16 posts, read 59,116 times

Advertisements

Hi PAFAMILY,

Before you commit to a realtor .... take a look at longandfoster.com - they have all the open houses listed and just picking a few of those to visit will give you a good idea of the market. That's what we've been doing - I just felt that by commiting to a realtor, you'll be rushed into making real estate decisions sooner than you'll like.

We've been renting in Bethesda, MD since June to get an idea of the market - I'm glad we did this though the only downside is that my 8 yr old son has already made some wonderful friends in his new school and is not looking forward to moving across the river and starting off in another new school ..... I don't blame him!!

Oh two other great websites are : VirginiaMLS.com and Redfin.com .... I don't know much about Redfin but its definately an interesting money saving idea. I will look into it more as we get closer to real estate crunch time. Redfin also tells you how many days the house has been on the market and if there have been changes on the listing price.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM

96 posts, read 436,065 times
Thanks Tenzi for the info! I will check it out.. My main concerns are what you are going thru with your son...I would rather pick an area that WE THINK we will stay in

Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM

one more thing, if you don't mind me asking, why are you moving out of MD to VA? Did you look in other counties like Howard county? I am just curious because I can't decide what to do

Old 01-16-2008, 02:29 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Although you are looking to rent, you may want to know this in the long run: in my observation, to buy an "average" home in NOVA will be $300K for a 1B condo, $500K for a townhome or rambler, and $700K for a single family home. For anything cheaper, you will have to commute more than 30 miles/60 minutes from DC, face a lot of home improvements or live in an unpopular area. Areas that you may find most attractive - e.g. Reston, Vienna, Falls Church, McLean, anywhere within a mile of Metrorail - are likely to cost much more.

In short, all the above has conspired to make Northern Virginia more expensive than the MD suburbs. That's not to say that Montgomery and Howard counties are bargains. You would probably benefit from chatting with people on the Maryland forum about specifics there.
I have to disagree on your pricing of northern Virginia homes. Granted housing in the towns you mentioned are still quite high; however, they are still dropping. My wife and I are looking to buy after moving here last September. A good three bedroom townhome can be had in the 320-400 thou range in Reston. Could pay more, or less depeding on the condition. SFH is still high; little under 500 thou. A member of our church had a home for sale in Reston, had it on the market for over 10 months. He started out at 800 and wound up selling it for 640. The place (accroding to him anyway) was very nice, four bedrooms, two car garage, needed no major work, just updating, good section of town, etc. He had to pay all closing costs too.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 AM

16 posts, read 59,116 times
Hi PAFAMILY,

We're moving to Northern Virginia primarily for two reasons - first: we have a number of family friends who all live in fairfax county & moving closer to them will give us a chance for more playdates & sleepovers(which would be great) ..... and second: fairfax county is definately more affordable than montgomery county ...(I would say at least a difference of about 100K - bethesda is lovely but we're finding it out of our range ... you'll have to look at shelling about 800K for a decent single family home!!!).

Old 01-17-2008, 07:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
I have to disagree on your pricing of northern Virginia homes. Granted housing in the towns you mentioned are still quite high; however, they are still dropping. My wife and I are looking to buy after moving here last September. A good three bedroom townhome can be had in the 320-400 thou range in Reston. Could pay more, or less depeding on the condition. SFH is still high; little under 500 thou. A member of our church had a home for sale in Reston, had it on the market for over 10 months. He started out at 800 and wound up selling it for 640. The place (accroding to him anyway) was very nice, four bedrooms, two car garage, needed no major work, just updating, good section of town, etc. He had to pay all closing costs too.
Thank you for that update. More proof that I need to update my information. I did want to prepare the OP for a bit of sticker shock coming from somewhat less expensive Philly.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Tenzi, Had you looked into Howard County, right outside of Montgomery. I understand housing is cheaper there than in Fairfax.

Also, I just learned that MD increased their sales take to 6% HOWEVER, THEY DON'T ADD THE ADDITIONAL 4% ON like VA does.

I have not look at Montgomery County, MD and I am afraid to because I know how crazy expensive it is...I figure why look and like it if my pocketbook can't afford it.

So far, I think I am leaning toward MD but at this rate it is for affordable housing and lower tax..Someone just told me that her car insurance was only 145/month and that was for 2008 CRV and 2003 (luxury car) I thought that was pretty good. I wonder what car insurance would in Fairfax County.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I hope you know that Howard County is closer to Baltimore than DC.

About car insurance, I have 3 cars and it's $900sumpin a year in Fairfax Co.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM

Car54,
You have 3 cars and it is 900 a YR?? What cars and where do you live? I know HC is close to Baltimore too..I thought that would be good for me when I search for a job too...since I have to give up my job here in Philly. From what others were saying, it would take my husband 45-60 to get to work from HC but it is more affordable. We thought that if we can get more for our buck, the commute would be the price we pay..Your thought? We are initially working with 125,000 as income and schools are extremely importamt to us as we have a 6 yr old...I am open to all feedback as my head is spinning

Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM

47 posts, read 310,659 times
You keep mentioning the income but do not fail to mention the monies required for a down payment. More than likely you will be able to negotiate the seller pays closing, in the current market anyways. But with the Sub Prime debacle, there are no more 100% financing deals out there, so if you are looking at a $500k house you are going to need 10 - 20% down (50 -100K on 500k). Many sellers in today's markets are shying away from contegency contracts where you require the sale of your existing house prior to the purchase of your new one.

Not trying to be a downer, but the alternative financing that got so many of these folks into the McMansions and drove up housings costs are just not available. What you wont hear in the news are the stories of people who benefited from the sub prime lenders... and there are A LOT of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia