Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,369,931 times

Advertisements

Funny how a Whole Foods thread turned its focus onto Wegmans

Which I agree with too somewhat, Wegmans is awesome. Best, best subs ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:27 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,035,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoff View Post
There are already two Whole Foods near Tysons- one on 123 in Vienna, one on 7 between Tysons and Falls Church. Both are small. I wonder if this is intended to replace both of those stores.

On the topic of local grocery stores, there's a huge Whole Foods in Fair Lakes. It has several good restaurant kiosks inside (seafood, BBQ, sushi, sandwiches, pizza), as well as a fun sports bar. It's by far my favorite grocery store.

I have a poor impression of Wegmans. There's a Wegmans off of 29 west of Fairfax. It's one of the least pleasant places in Northern Virginia. It's a crowded store full of sullen workers and rude, pushy, unfriendly customers, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. One of my favorite memories of that Wegmans is from last year- a middle-aged woman with a full cart spotted me and my family (two young children, and about 15 items) walking to a checkout and literally sprinted to cut in front of us. Just another day in friendly Fairfax County.
What does that have to do with the store itself?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While Tysons may not have an apostrophe, "it's" certainly does when referring to "it is".

Seriously, I would have tagged you as better than to deflect with a grammar complaint.
Me too.

Seriously, if a person cannot take criticism of an area maybe they should not drop into threads and make random, unrelated, statements on it.

Bringing up the fact that I do not even know how to spell it correctly is a double edged sword as it could be used to point out my ignorance or it could be used to point out how little people think of the area. Attacking people for spelling incorrectly is not going to make it more popular. Perhaps gently engaging and correcting them would be more productive?

So tysonsengineer when you tell your friends, or perhaps just the people you hang around to correct, that you are going to downtown Tysons where do you mean?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 AM

318 posts, read 369,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Son of a!!
They are still looking Wegmans Looking for Tysons Location: Report | Mclean, VA Patch

Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 AM

37 posts, read 33,907 times
We used Blue Apron for awhile but ultimately quite the service because of the large amount of waste that the deliveries entail. Lot's of plastic, cardboard and ice packs that are thrown away.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:16 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,233,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDaz View Post
We used Blue Apron for awhile but ultimately quite the service because of the large amount of waste that the deliveries entail. Lot's of plastic, cardboard and ice packs that are thrown away.
Yeah, I'm zero concerned about the environment and waste.

But, if you are someone who is, all of those items are 100% reusable. My packing box is "stolen" from my trash every week and my freezer is loaded with the ice packs. And I know those various size plastic bags have a use somewhere. Why not recycle if that is what you care about?

Old 05-08-2015, 12:17 PM

66 posts, read 126,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
What does that have to do with the store itself?
For whatever reason, the Wegmans on 29 west of Fairfax city distills the essence of the general pushiness and unfriendliness of Fairfax County. It's not a pleasant place to shop. I don't find Wegmans' merchandise to be worth putting up with the atmosphere. For whatever reason, the Fair Lakes Whole Foods crowd isn't quite as miserable. Just a regional observation for a regional board.

IMO, it is a close call between a neutral Wegmans and a neutral Whole Foods as to which is better. Wegmans has more variety and is a superior one-stop shop (it's like a Whole Foods mixed with a Safeway), but I find that Whole Foods has better items (and often better prices) for the food and beverages on which they directly complete. Plus, I like the 365 Brand merchandise.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:23 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,035,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoff View Post
For whatever reason, the Wegmans on 29 west of Fairfax city distills the essence of the general pushiness and unfriendliness of Fairfax County. It's not a pleasant place to shop. I don't find Wegmans' merchandise to be worth putting up with the atmosphere. For whatever reason, the Fair Lakes Whole Foods crowd isn't quite as miserable. Just a regional observation for a regional board.

IMO, it is a close call between a neutral Wegmans and a neutral Whole Foods as to which is better. Wegmans has more variety and is a superior one-stop shop (it's like a Whole Foods mixed with a Safeway), but I find that Whole Foods has better items (and often better prices) for the food and beverages on which they directly complete. Plus, I like the 365 Brand merchandise.
I think that is the busiest Wegmans in the region. They are about to build one in Chantilly, may that one will have a better environment. I went into that Fairfax one once and it just feels a bit cramped. I prefer the one in Woodbridge which is closer to me.

I think you are probably right about your assessment of both stores.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,254 times
I think Wegmans has much better selection and prices than Wholefoods. The main draw of WF is all the organic stuff if you're into that.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,021,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Check out the food inspection reports for Whole Foods in Vienna and Rt 7. Disgusting!
Food Establishment Inspection Reports*- Fairfax County, Virginia
I saw a small rat running on the ground in the Arlington Whole Foods about 2 weeks ago, at about 2 in the afternoon on a weekday. It was in the cheese/wine/chocolate section (cheese, lol). Was definitely a rat because I saw the look of it's tail, plus it was too big to be a mouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia