Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 01:52 PM

857 posts, read 844,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Or, perhaps, the proliferation of and easy access to guns will just lead to more shootings at schools.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/02...y-college.html

When the latest tragedy is investigated, do you not think there will be more focus on the assailant than on whether the seller was a "nice guy"?

As it has already been stated before, guns themselves do not jump up and kill people; people with ill intentions do. Are there gaps in the current background screening system that allow those with issues get hands on guns? Sure. But the sellers do not make up rules, they simply follow them. Also, if one has no prior arrests or say mental health issues on record, how can we know in advance that person will do something bad when he/she gets their hands on a firearm? Ban all firearms sales? Double edged sword there. We can argue back and forth on this. It all boils down to risk mitigation as opposed to risk elimination, with the latter usually unachievable in a lot of areas like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 02:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Oregon shooting: Reports of 10 dead at Umpqua Community College - CNN.com

10 people killed. 20 injured.

It is just too easy.
Just too easy for what? This conversation? I don't think so. It would if it was a shooting of elementary school children right outside a gun shop. It certainly does not appear to be.

You are against guns. I get it; and it's fine. But you need to take the strict "anti-gun" opinions to the Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events sub-forums. This thread isn't about the merits of pro-gun versus anti-gun. This thread is about the specific situation where a gun shop moved next to a school in McLean.

Fact: Gun Shop located 3 blocks from said school.
Fact: No one protested the location of said shop; or the business at all.
Fact: Gun shop moves next door to school
Fact: Members of community get upset and protest and sign petitions.

Facts still Missing: Why the gun shop is more dangerous in this location than three blocks away? It's a simple question, and when I ask for the answer, all I get is people talking about how all guns are bad. That doesn't answer the question. The question is about proximity to the school.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:

Because some people don't want firearms in their home. Period. There is no other reason needed. I've got 30+ years of life under my belt, and have never felt the need to own a firearm.
No one, as far as I know, has ever or will ever force you or anyone else to buy a firearm or any other product for that matter.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:40 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,559,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just too easy for what? This conversation? I don't think so. It would if it was a shooting of elementary school children right outside a gun shop. It certainly does not appear to be.

You are against guns. I get it; and it's fine. But you need to take the strict "anti-gun" opinions to the Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events sub-forums. This thread isn't about the merits of pro-gun versus anti-gun. This thread is about the specific situation where a gun shop moved next to a school in McLean.

Fact: Gun Shop located 3 blocks from said school.
Fact: No one protested the location of said shop; or the business at all.
Fact: Gun shop moves next door to school
Fact: Members of community get upset and protest and sign petitions.

Facts still Missing: Why the gun shop is more dangerous in this location than three blocks away? It's a simple question, and when I ask for the answer, all I get is people talking about how all guns are bad. That doesn't answer the question. The question is about proximity to the school.

True statements, spencgr, sorry amigo!

I personally feel that guns are an adult topic of conversation. For a gun shop to be within constant viewing of elementary-aged children is inappropriate and makes parents uncomfortable with the optics of such an adult situation being visible in a setting that should be about Mickey & Minnie Mouse, ninja turtles, Sophia the first, play time on the playground, and chocolate milk.

It would be like putting a strip club there, or anything along those adult lines of conversation. Kids are very perceptive. They are aware of their surroundings, curious, and engaging. Having Jr. ask "daddy, what's a gun?" is a heartbreaking question to have to answer. My son is 7 years old. He has been exposed to the gun culture through cartoons (amazing to me) and we have talked about guns multiple times. He will tell you exactly what I will tell you - guns are bad.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:46 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Some perspective:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...919_story.html

Old 10-01-2015, 03:10 PM

601 posts, read 593,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No one, as far as I know, has ever or will ever force you or anyone else to buy a firearm or any other product for that matter.
Fine. I still maintain that it is inappropriate to open a gun store directly adjacent to that McLean elementary school.

Last edited by TheWatchmen; 10-01-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 03:55 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
If pro-gun folks cannot comprehend the reasons why some people do not want a gun store directly adjacent to their neighborhood elementary school, I'd say they are being willfully ignorant, but that would be far too kind.

The thinly veiled snide conjectures about how people just need to be "educated" about THE DANGER OF firearms are tiring.

Guns kill people. Instantly. Violently. Victims of gun violence often die by no choice of their own. This is what many people see in guns. Fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals are not used in that same manner.

I'm happy to report that I know many people in Northern Virginia who do not own guns, do not normalize the practice of gun ownership, and who would be appalled at a gun or any other sort of weapon store opening up adjacent to their neighborhood elementary school. This board is not an entirely accurate cross section of Northern Virginia, probably because there are so many people piping in from the far outer corners of the region.
Fixed for you. See how that works.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Because some people don't want firearms in their home. Period. There is no other reason needed. I've got 30+ years of life under my belt, and have never felt the need to own a firearm.
And I have 30 + years under my belt as a police officer. I could post all kinds of stories regarding homeowners or shop owners who saved their life or that of a loved one thanks to a gun. Yes, this tit for tat can go both ways but I'm just addressing your comment above. As I stated before. The market should decide whether this store survives or not. Not a small number of gun haters.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Oregon shooting: Reports of 10 dead at Umpqua Community College - CNN.com

10 people killed. 20 injured.

It is just too easy.
And had some of these in the area been allowed to carry conceal some of these may be alive.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:07 PM

601 posts, read 593,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
And had some of these in the area been allowed to carry conceal some of these may be alive.
That's always the solution, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia