Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:57 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I haven't read ahead so sorry if I bring up something someone else has.

Why does this concern anyone? This is a legal and licensed business. These guns can't just automatically jump up and run into the hands of the school kids. This is no different than the local 7-11 or stop and rob selling smokes, vaping material or chew. Is anyone protesting them?
Just briefly browsed through the thread, but figured I would add my 2 cents. Opposition as in this case, IMO, stems from lack of education on the subject. As others had already stated, why does the community oppose this legitimate business continuing to operate from its current location? Whether a gun store is located next to a school, church, daycare, etc. should not make a difference.

I believe some folks' general apprehension of firearms, due to the lack of experience/education on the subject, strongly influences them and drives them to oppose these legitimate businesses operating close to their homes, schools their children attend, etc.

I would tend to argue, based on personal observations, rather than any 'official' reports I have seen that places like liquor stores, check cashing places, bars, etc. may pose more of a 'menace' to areas kids frequent.

As Bigfoot pointed out in the post above, guns do not just jump into kids' and criminals' hands from legitimate businesses. While there may be some gaps in the current background screening system, these are not related to the gun stores' locations. If someone is determined to acquire a firearm, through whatever means, in order to do harm, he or she is going to accomplish their mission no matter the location of the gun source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
This is yet another corollary of an issue that has divided our society for some time now. Its pretty clear that neither side is going to be convinced by the other, at least not on this Forum. That is one reason why we rely on the law, to solve intractable problems.

If I were the owner of this store, I would insist on my right to operate a lawful business anywhere I choose, and I would let the protesters wear out their shoe leather before I capitulated. If some neighborhood residents have a problem with the local zoning law, they should petition their state representatives to change it.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
("a report released Monday by Connecticut’s Attorney for the District of Danbury says all the guns and ammunition involved in the heinous crime at Sandy Hook Elementary were legally purchased by Nancy Lanza and then stolen by her son, Adam").
yes, the weapons were bought legally. But the children were not shot at or near the store where the weapons were bought.

The specific issue HERE is the proximity of the gun store to a school. The issue is not gun legality or the 2nd amendment.

I have yet to see a logical argument of those opposed to the proximity of the store.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
yes, the weapons were bought legally. But the children were not shot at or near the store where the weapons were bought.

The specific issue HERE is the proximity of the gun store to a school. The issue is not gun legality or the 2nd amendment.

I have yet to see a logical argument of those opposed to the proximity of the store.
Indeed--none of those opposed to this have stated what exactly they are afraid could happen. Obviously there is no outdoor target range. Children are not allowed inside without their parents, and besides, the guns and ammo are all behind the counter anyway. Kids are not going to be able to obtain guns from the store, end of story. Criminals will not be able to buy guns there or at any gun store.

As the law currently stands, a person with untreated schizophrenia who has never committed a crime or been committed to a mental-health facility has almost no impediments to getting a gun legally from anywhere--gun store, sporting-goods store, gun show (whether at a booth from a local FFL store or from a private seller), or online. THAT is where the focus needs to be--a more thorough, reliable, and consistent system for preventing people with certain severe diagnoses from acquiring firearms.

Fearing a gun store is like fearing a pharmacy. After all, lots of people kill themselves with prescription drugs--both intentionally and by accident.

I agree with whoever said the opponents just have such a baseless fear of guns that they just don't want their kids to even be aware that they exist.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Indeed--none of those opposed to this have stated what exactly they are afraid could happen. Obviously there is no outdoor target range. Children are not allowed inside without their parents, and besides, the guns and ammo are all behind the counter anyway. Kids are not going to be able to obtain guns from the store, end of story. Criminals will not be able to buy guns there or at any gun store.

As the law currently stands, a person with untreated schizophrenia who has never committed a crime or been committed to a mental-health facility has almost no impediments to getting a gun legally from anywhere--gun store, sporting-goods store, gun show (whether at a booth from a local FFL store or from a private seller), or online. THAT is where the focus needs to be--a more thorough, reliable, and consistent system for preventing people with certain severe diagnoses from acquiring firearms.

Fearing a gun store is like fearing a pharmacy. After all, lots of people kill themselves with prescription drugs--both intentionally and by accident.

I agree with whoever said the opponents just have such a baseless fear of guns that they just don't want their kids to even be aware that they exist.

I'm trying to figure this "on-line" gun buying out as an owner of multiple firearms.

If you are in, say Montana, and have a shotgun for sale on Gunbroker.com, then my purchase of it has to go through a FFL holder at both ends.

Neither FedEx or UPS will ship it without that FFL certification.

You are correct that there are holes in the NICS process as it relates to mental illness. What is a reasonable fix?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What is a reasonable fix?
Let this be a topic for a different sub-forum, and avoid derailing this thread.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
I view the legal rights of putting a gun store next to a school along the same legal rights as putting a Westboro Baptist church facility at the entrance to Arlington Cemetary.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:34 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I view the legal rights of putting a gun store next to a school along the same legal rights as putting a Westboro Baptist church facility at the entrance to Arlington Cemetary.
If the entrance to Arlington is zoned for religious facilities (which it isn't), then, yes, both are completely legal.

But it terms of morality or "offensiveness", the Westboro Church location is much more offensive because the location (and their purpose) is intended to offend. Their goal is to anger and upset people by protesting soldiers.

Are you saying the intent and goal of a gun shop is to anger and upset parents and children? Hardly. It's to sell their merchandise.

Last edited by spencgr; 09-30-2015 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 05:55 AM

97 posts, read 263,819 times
Quote:
No. Belts and ropes have other, more socially beneficial uses than handguns, semi-automatics, and assault rifles.
Quote:
I would bet many of those claiming it's of no concern to them would have a fit if it were their own kids going to school 100 feet from a store selling pistols and semi-automatics.
Maybe a compromise would be for the store to sell only handguns and pistols, and not semi-automatics? I don't know much about guns.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandBack-DoorsClosing View Post
Maybe a compromise would be for the store to sell only handguns and pistols, and not semi-automatics? I don't know much about guns.

Eh, seeing how you stated you did not know much about guns... An overwhelming majority of handguns (also known as pistols) that are sold/exist are semi-automatic, meaning the firearm uses the energy from the first chambered & fired round to chamber another one; obviously they only also fire one round per trigger pull (as opposed to an automatic weapon that will expend all of its ammunition as long as the trigger is depressed). Same goes for semi-automatic rifles. Revolvers (just about all of them) are not considered semi-automatic handguns since some additional manual operation is required. Hence, and I mean this in an educational way, your suggestion above would not work. Also, a gun is a gun IMO. One kills just like the other. Sure, the automatics have a higher rate of fire, but you have to do a 'bit more' paperwork, as well as pay more, to get your hands on one of those. Also, if you walk into any gun store, I pretty much guarantee one will find very few automatic weapons available, as compared to their semi selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia