Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much it, above. I don't agree with it at all, but can't think of any real legal objection to it. And I would probably be much more concerned if my kids did go to Sherman, but they go to a different elementary school in the immediate area.

I'll be interested in how this plays out. Arlington managed to make them leave, wonder if McLean will be able to do the same.
It's always comes down to money, doesn't it? The Arlington location was in a strip mall with other retail businesses. When the landlord realized that all his other tenants were going to lose many of their customers, he broke the lease.

It's a bit dicier in McLean, because the landlord apparently only owns two adjacent properties, the gun store and a car service center (they both back up to the school). Many people have already said they will boycott the car service center until the gun store relocates, but the cost-benefit analysis for the landlord may not be quite as obvious. But today's letter from John Foust is a pretty good sign that local leaders will lean on the business to relocate.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Unless I am mistaken the reason this forum is here is to get people's opinions. I posted mine; and it is no less valid than yours on this forum.
You are right, we all have a right to express an opinion here.

I do expect that, in the coming days and weeks, those who actually live in the area will likely pay more attention to, and have more influence on, the store location's future than those who have opinions on the subject, but live 40 (or 450) miles away.

Hugs.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You are right, we all have a right to express an opinion here.

I do expect that, in the coming days and weeks, those who actually live in the area will likely have more influence on the store location's future than those who merely lob in comments from 40 (or 450) miles away.

Hugs.
As my comment reflected that I think the whole thing should be a non-issue; I seriously doubt you'll see me on the streets of McLean holding a sign supporting one side or the other.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:34 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The store is currently in a fairly prominent location in downtown McLean.

People don't like the fact that the store is physically is so close to an elementary school. It is literally adjacent to school property.

People don't like the fact that the owner tries to make weapons seem like fun. He apparently posted a picture on social media of a sniper in a field with the caption "long-range shooting is like golf * * * but for men." That is particularly distressing since the adjacent school also has fields.

People who want to raise their children to avoid guns don't like their kids getting the impression that buying and selling firearms is routine because they walk or drive by a firearms store every day.

People know that there were two youths in the community who committed suicide using guns within the past two years, and don't want to make it any easier for impulsive young adults to gain access to firearms.

People think a firearms store will attract other businesses to the downtown area they consider undesirable, like the pawn shop in Lyon Village in Arlington, etc.

I've read enough on the topic to know the gun advocates will try and dismiss every one of these arguments, but that's how people feel, and it's our community. The store owner may have a legal right to occupy the space, but that doesn't mean people who don't want a firearms store in their community have to throw him a welcome party.
I pretty much disagree with those arguments but I won't counter argue because I know it's pointless. We could go back and forth all day, but I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

I do take offense at the sign, I know women who shoot competitively and frequently, place first. It's not "just for men".

Is there a petition supporting the shop owner? I'd sign that one.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I pretty much disagree with those arguments but I won't counter argue because I know it's pointless. We could go back and forth all day, but I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

I do take offense at the sign, I know women who shoot competitively and frequently, place first. It's not "just for men".

Is there a petition supporting the shop owner? I'd sign that one.
Yes, there's a petition supporting the shop owner. It apparently was started by an employee at the gun store. I'm sure you can find it online if you look, and you'll find that most people stating their reasons for signing it live outside McLean. The petition opposing the store's new location has 3-4 times as many signatures, with most of those stating their reasons for signing it living in McLean, Falls Church or Arlington.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
As my comment reflected that I think the whole thing should be a non-issue; I seriously doubt you'll see me on the streets of McLean holding a sign supporting one side or the other.
Last weekend the only people holding signs were those opposing the store's new location. There were some people who visited the store, but no one showed up with signs to defend locating it next to a school.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I'm probably not the most informed, I've just seen threads in other places and a few articles. I can't imagine it would, it looks like an old house on Chain Bridge that has been converted into a store, surrounded by a parking lot, strip malls, and the school. I don't see where a range would go.
What about an ABC store? What about a 7-11 with multiple outside benches for workers to wait for work?

There are many "drug free zone" signs on the school property which is good because that's the best way to ensure the children won't have access to drugs.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
What about an ABC store? What about a 7-11 with multiple outside benches for workers to wait for work? .
You can file those in the Undesirable column, underneath gun shops and pawn shops.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
Some of you have never been to a gun store. They are always clean, discreet, and filled with very polite, law-abiding people, many of whom have military or LE backgrounds. I am not a Second Amendment activist; in fact, I don't even own a gun. I'm super-liberal on probably most issues. But some people let their emotions dictate their opinions, never letting facts get in the way.

As others have said, there is no way this could possibly cause any kind of problem for a nearby school; after all, the shop has ALREADY been near that school for a long time. What if a police station were nearby? Those are full of people carrying guns! Hey, doesn't Safeway carry beer and wine? Well, we can't allow Safeways near the schools, can we? Some kid could, uh, see someone carrying a grocery bag with alcohol in it to their car!

What happened with the proposed gun store in Arlington was a shame--a loud bunch of people who are not open to hearing facts. They are the Donald Trumps of the left. These same people are OK with Arlington being full of predatory check-cashing places. Meanwhile, nearby Falls Church has a very discreet, veteran-owned gun store--all in close proximity to very upscale shopping and residential areas. There's probably a school somewhere nearby too. Unlike pawn shops, 7-11s, and check-cashing joints, gun shops do not attract people with addictions or criminal backgrounds.

Don't believe me? Go visit one yourself. Why not? Unless you're afraid you will change your mind.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 PM

I've noticed that no one has posted the names of the schools nearest their homes. When you've done so, I'll be happy to forward them to the appropriate folks and let them know that you would welcome NOVA Firearms adjacent to those schools. I know that our local county supervisor, school board member, state Senator, and House of Delegates member - all apparently "Donald Trumps of the left" - are working to help find them a new home, and they might appreciate some alternatives and the chance to get away from the NIMBYs.

Thanks!

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia