Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 PM

40 posts, read 43,390 times

Advertisements

This is just an extension of what was happening in Arlington over the summer months:

https://www.arlnow.com/2015/07/20/br...or-cherrydale/

The same owner was going to open another store in Cherrydale (and before that I believe Shirlington but the landlord would not allow it due to protests), even had the lease signed, but because of people arguing about its proximity to schools, and would scare people away from the other businesses in the same shopping plaza, the landlord broke the lease agreement.

Much ado about nothing is exactly what it is. Was just a store front, not an indoor range, but apparently thats enough for some to cry foul. VA is a gun loving state, like or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,121 times
Like I said in the first post, I can't really express any real reason why I don't like it, other than I don't like it being close to the school. I had no problem with their original location three blocks further away, but apparently they outgrew the place.

Oh, and for those wondering, my use of "degenerate gun buyers" in the first post was paraphrasing some comments I've seen elsewhere, not my personal opinion of gun owners.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
I would bet many of those claiming it's of no concern to them would have a fit if it were their own kids going to school 100 feet from a store selling pistols and semi-automatics.

Most people in the community do not want this store in this location, plain and simple. People in Arlington didn't want it when it tried to relocate there, and it wasn't going to move so close to a school building in Arlington. From what I've read, its prior location in McLean was not near a school or in the heart of the downtown area, and they did not openly display nearly as many firearms.

People in Virginia who act like this is a good thing will just help cement NoVa's current downward trajectory relative to DC and Maryland, which several regional economists have suggested will be rather apparent by 2017.

And, Forehead, the comments I've seen about "degenerate gun buyers" on other forums were directed at those who have insulted the anti-store residents, in some cases using extremely foul language that would get a poster tossed off City Data in a heartbeat.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
People in Virginia who act like this is a good thing will just help cement NoVa's current downward trajectory relative to DC and Maryland.
It's not a good thing; it's not a bad thing. This is really a non-thing. Legal business opening shop in location zoned for such business. People should worry about things that really matter.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It's not a good thing; it's not a bad thing. This is really a non-thing. Legal business opening shop in location zoned for such business. People should worry about things that really matter.
You can worry about Middleburg, and I'll worry about what shops set up business within walking distance of my house. I may have a bit more skin in this game than some people in western Loudoun.

Last I checked, the petition against this store's location had over 1200 signatures, the majority from people who actually live in McLean and aren't just looking for an opportunity to take expansive positions on the Second Amendment. The framers, as enlightened as they may have been, probably did not have NOVA Firearms' current product line in mind.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
I would bet many of those claiming it's of no concern to them would have a fit if it were their own kids going to school 100 feet from a store selling pistols and semi-automatics.
Honestly, I wouldn't care one bit. I'm curious as to what exactly is the concern.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:55 PM

This is the text of a statement released today by the Board of Supervisors representative for the Fairfax County district in question. My personal view is that the landlord and gun owner likely knew that this location for a firearms store would be viewed as intolerable, and they picked the site so they could make a quick profit when they get bought out.

Sep 28, 2015 — Statement of Supervisor John W. Foust
September 28, 2015

Gun Shop Location Adjacent to McLean Elementary School
Puts Children at Risk

The decision by the owners of the NOVA Gun Shop to locate their new retail store adjacent to Franklin Sherman Elementary School in McLean is unwise and inappropriate, and potentially puts the health and safety of schoolchildren and faculty at unnecessary risk.

As I noted at the citizen rally on Saturday morning at the gun shop, the owners of NOVA Gun Shop should have chosen to locate their store in a more appropriate location out of common decency and respect for our community.

Their decision represents a shocking lack of judgment by the storeowner and the landlord who entered into a lease for this facility. Whatever one's personal position on gun ownership, it is simply antagonistic to our community and frightening to concerned parents to locate a store selling firearms and live ammunition literally within 60 seconds walking distance to a school entrance.

This is an issue of judgment, not legality. Under the Virginia State Code, Fairfax County does not have the authority to deny the gun shop a use permit to operate in the facility nor to require the gun shop owner to vacate the premises and terminate its lease. Under the federal law that is intended to create a gun free zone within a 1,000 feet around public, parochial and private schools, there is a huge exception that allows a federally-licensed firearm dealer to operate a commercial storefront within that zone.

Nevertheless, while the Nova Gun Shop and the landlord may have a legal right to operate this facility in this location, it is apparent that good judgment and a reasonable concern for children's safety were absent in this situation.

The McLean community is understandably outraged by the decision to locate the gun shop next to an elementary school. I congratulate the many concerned residents who are actively protesting this bad decision. In the coming days, I will continue to explore whether there are any options we can pursue under federal, state or county law that could remove the gun shop from this location. I will also offer to work with the landlord and gun shop owner to explore constructive solutions to terminate the lease and to relocate the gun shop to a more appropriate location. In the interim, I will stand alongside concerned parents, our state legislators, school officials and community leaders to continue to express loudly and clearly that this is a situation that cannot be tolerated.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:03 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,121 times
Yeah, that's pretty much it, above. I don't agree with it at all, but can't think of any real legal objection to it. And I would probably be much more concerned if my kids did go to Sherman, but they go to a different elementary school in the immediate area.

I'll be interested in how this plays out. Arlington managed to make them leave, wonder if McLean will be able to do the same.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
You can worry about Middleburg, and I'll worry about what shops set up business within walking distance of my house. I may have a bit more skin in this game than some people in western Loudoun.
Unless I am mistaken the reason this forum is here is to get people's opinions. I posted mine; and it is no less valid than yours on this forum.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't care one bit. I'm curious as to what exactly is the concern.
The store is now in a fairly prominent location in downtown McLean.

People don't like the fact that the store is physically is so close to an elementary school. It is literally adjacent to school property.

People don't like the fact that the owner tries to make weapons seem like fun. He apparently posted a picture on social media of a sniper in a field with the caption "long-range shooting is like golf * * * but for men." That is particularly distressing since the adjacent school also has fields.

People who want to raise their children to avoid guns don't like their kids getting the impression that buying and selling firearms is routine because they walk or drive by a firearms store every day.

People know that there were two youths in the community who committed suicide using guns within the past two years, and don't want to make it any easier for impulsive young adults to gain access to firearms.

People think a firearms store will attract other businesses to the downtown area they consider undesirable, like the pawn shop in Lyon Village in Arlington, etc.

I've read enough on the topic to know the gun advocates will try and dismiss every one of these arguments, but that's how many local people feel, and it's our community. The store owner may have a legal right to occupy the space, but that doesn't mean people who don't want a firearms store so close to an elementary school have to throw him a welcome party.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia