Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,899,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
When will your property be going on the market?
still curious.. when will your property be going on the market? You're entering one of the less desirable times of the year to sell a house.. Price accordingly, take good photos and paint the best picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 AM

397 posts, read 365,039 times
Quote:
still curious.. when will your property be going on the market? You're entering one of the less desirable times of the year to sell a house.. Price accordingly, take good photos and paint the best picture.
If you tell me which realtor you work for, I'll tell you.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 AM

I work for an independent brokerage in Woodbridge, not Century 21, and choose to not advertise my name as this is not a viable means of marketing for me.

Just trying to help, feel free to not answer any of my questions.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I work for an independent brokerage in Woodbridge, not Century 21, and choose to not advertise my name as this is not a viable means of marketing for me.

Just trying to help, feel free to not answer any of my questions.
I decline, for obvious reasons.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 AM

I can respect that, although I didn't ask (nor care) for any property information. Moreso was trying to zero in on the statement you made that your agent is getting thousands of dollars for a few hours work.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:22 AM

857 posts, read 847,636 times
Don't have any vested interest in this subject (i.e., not a realtor, etc.). Just had to comment after having read through the thread. To me, it sounds like the OP did not do proper research on the methods available for selling a property, as well as research on the specific realtor, things that are involved in the sale of a property, etc. and has come here to complain.

I see the 5% vs 6% fee not being a huge deal, given you have already chosen to go with a full-service realtor vs. say selling the property yourself. Given a say $400k property (and same sale price), we are talking about a $4k difference - 5% vs. 6%. Now, $4k is still $4k, however if one made the determination to pay a realtor to sell their property, in the above scenario, he/she would still pay $20k (5% of $400k), hence retroactively arguing about $4k in that particular case does not make a lot of sense.

The whole key thing sounds ridiculous. There is clearly much more on the line here so to speak, so continuously complaining about having to drive 50 miles to drop the key off, is a bit silly. You should have done something about that at that point in time, as opposed to making the drive and then coming here to complain. Just my 2 cents. Hope your property does sell though. I have had mine on the market (for sale) for a few months, but ended up renting it since the market was just not right at that point in time. Maybe an option you want to consider. In my case, I had the real estate company screen the applicants, do all the paperwork, etc. but I chose to manage the property directly in order to avoid having to pay 8% or so in property management costs.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 AM

274 posts, read 710,329 times
Got it, my bad! It did get pretty convoluted.

Quote:
ding ding ding

The thread starter moving was not brought up until one of the last posts. Before that, it was just "they want me to come to them, they won't come to me" etc (I paraphrased that I'm sure, but you get the gist)

Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 AM

274 posts, read 710,329 times
You are quite right, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Really? You are telling me I need to pay attention? Please show me where the OP mentioned he now lives 50 miles from the house he is selling BEFORE I posted my question.

Pretty sure I have been paying attention to this thread.....

Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Don't have any vested interest in this subject (i.e., not a realtor, etc.). Just had to comment after having read through the thread. To me, it sounds like the OP did not do proper research on the methods available for selling a property, as well as research on the specific realtor, things that are involved in the sale of a property, etc. and has come here to complain.

I see the 5% vs 6% fee not being a huge deal, given you have already chosen to go with a full-service realtor vs. say selling the property yourself. Given a say $400k property (and same sale price), we are talking about a $4k difference - 5% vs. 6%. Now, $4k is still $4k, however if one made the determination to pay a realtor to sell their property, in the above scenario, he/she would still pay $20k (5% of $400k), hence retroactively arguing about $4k in that particular case does not make a lot of sense.

The whole key thing sounds ridiculous. There is clearly much more on the line here so to speak, so continuously complaining about having to drive 50 miles to drop the key off, is a bit silly. You should have done something about that at that point in time, as opposed to making the drive and then coming here to complain. Just my 2 cents. Hope your property does sell though. I have had mine on the market (for sale) for a few months, but ended up renting it since the market was just not right at that point in time. Maybe an option you want to consider. In my case, I had the real estate company screen the applicants, do all the paperwork, etc. but I chose to manage the property directly in order to avoid having to pay 8% or so in property management costs.
People will have different views on the key issue.

If I understand this correctly, all transaction-related fees associated fee for property sale is somewhat regulated but the agent fee is the only area that is not. The whole model appears to be commission paid to commercial salespeople. I don't think we should consider realtors pure commercial since a lot of it is required (more or less) for compliance purposes. It's not like buying enterprise IT for your business.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:02 AM

232 posts, read 362,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
FWIW, the agents won't get the full percentage. The commission is paid to the brokerage, the brokerage takes their cut (depending on the fee structure), and then the listing & buyer's agent get their commission.
I understand that - but from a seller perspective "where" the money gets divided is not anything that is ever broken down. My point was to share that if an agent agrees to a lower price it is important to clarify that the reduced rate is on the sell side versus compensation on the buyer side. There are some agents that will not show homes with low compensation rates which would result in a seller's property sitting on the market for longer and perhaps them not understanding the "why".

I don't disagree the importance of reading the contract in advance; also don't disagree with the previous comments about interviewing agents in advance of signing.

I will share that I have sold two different personal homes and during that time I never was requested to bring a key. My agent's office was over 45 min away (traffic not miles) and if he was not able to come personally he sent someone. Also in WA state where I lived previously, at closing keys are not handed to you. Keys are given only after confirmation that everything has funded. My agent delivered the keys at that time either personally or via courier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia