Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Weird, it started here about 20-30 mins. ago.
It started about 10 minutes after I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This is a massive storm and this time they're not lying. We get deceived a lot up here by the tv guys telling us to watch out and then nothing happens. This time it's TRUE though.

If you want to see unbiased weather reporting, there's a weather freak (I mean that in a nice way) on the Connecticut forum who is usually much more accurate than the weather guys on tv. People from other states listen to HIM.

Apparently in northern VA you'll get at least two feet and it will be that wet, heavy snow. Not the light powdery stuff that you can shovel. The heavy stuff that takes down tree limbs and power lines.

They're right to close everything down. No one should be on the road. It's impossible to drive in this stuff and anyway the roads need to be clear so they can be salted and plowed.

Last year we up here were buried in that heavy snow--worst winter in recorded history. Roofs caved in, avalanches of snow came crashing down off roofs, killing people, people tried to rake the snow off their roofs, people were killed by snow plows because there were mountains of snow so deep that the plow drivers couldn't see them, cars that were left on the street were crushed by the snow plows. Boston's entire public transport system came to a screeching halt--people were stranded (but it exposed long standing corruption and that's still being investigated.)

You're lucky if the power stays on. My email friends in VA tell me it has started. So if it's anything like the guy on the Connecticut forum is saying and anything at all like what WE got last winter, good luck. Sincerely, I do wish you the best of luck in staying safe in this potential disaster.
I saw the High Res NAM model posted on that thread. I hope it's estimating high.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:43 PM

294 posts, read 372,746 times
I am curious how many metro riders there are after, say, 6 PM today. I can't imagine many people are out and about.

Are there any sites we can look at to see if road conditions are deteriorating?

And how about maps of which roads are priority for during storms?

Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,619 times
http://app.ddot.dc.gov/

Traffic Archives - WTOP

Old 01-22-2016, 02:26 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,291,876 times
We've already got 3 inches sticking in Oakton.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM

810 posts, read 1,026,324 times
thankfully the snow is dry, easy to shovel right now. many more shoveling trips to come!

Old 01-22-2016, 03:09 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
in_newengland,

Who is this Connecticut weather guy? Can you tell us his username so we can see his weather posting?
or if you have the link handy, please provide it.

BTW, thanks for your message and tips.
I think this is the one: January 22-23, 2016 Major Snowstorm

Old 01-22-2016, 04:03 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
in_newengland,

Who is this Connecticut weather guy? Can you tell us his username so we can see his weather posting?
or if you have the link handy, please provide it.

BTW, thanks for your message and tips.
His id is Cambium and someone already linked to the current weather thread that he has going on (while I was offline.) He welcomes queries from people in other states. I don't even live in CT but when I want to know my weather, I ask on one of his threads. Just go to the CT forum and you'll see his thread or January 22-23, 2016 Major Snowstorm

Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:10 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,348,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
I think there's a lot of overhyping this storm. I remember a couple of years ago we were supposed to get a double digit storm coming in from the south. It got as far as Fredericksburg and fizzled out here. All we got was sleety rain and winds. Not even 1". I remember the local stataion had to go down there ASAP to "prove" that their predictions were correct.

And, there's like an echo chamber. Everyone is agreeing with each other. One guy says 18", another says 20", Now were up to 2 feet!

Back to the Fredricksburg storm. The morning when it hit, the snow total predictions kept going up as the snow was barely falling.

Just to be contrarian I'm gonna go with 2-3 inches with a lot of rain.
Betting you feel foolish now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia