Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,775,547 times

Advertisements

Any OPM insiders? I could really use a full day off tomorrow, or at least an early release!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:06 PM

857 posts, read 850,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I thought the fed already announced they were closing at 12 tomorrow? That's what people have been telling me at least. Maybe they just want us to close early tomorrow...
Could be... Just looking at it from the DoD perspective.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM

526 posts, read 904,466 times
I don't think the 96 or 2010 storms were technically blizzards because the wind wasn't strong enough. This one is really going to stand out because of the heavy snow AND the strong winds.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
I don't think the 96 or 2010 storms were technically blizzards because the wind wasn't strong enough. This one is really going to stand out because of the heavy snow AND the strong winds.

Tracking. Just looked it up (and I know it's Wiki, but...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard#United_States

Don't remember the lack or presence of 35mph + sustained winds during any of the past snowstorms we have had in this area.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
I haven't heard an announcement from OPM yet. My money is on a closure tomorrow. The alternative is an early dismissal and I don't think they're going to risk that for fear that the dismissal time doesn't end up being early enough. One can imagine the disaster that would result if all of the Feds get dismissed just a little too late and get stuck on the way home. If the forecast is correct, people stuck in their car Friday night may be stuck there until Sunday morning. I doubt OPM wants that on their hands, especially after the mini-commutageddon last night.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:19 PM

529 posts, read 753,723 times
As of now, OPM hasn't announced about tomorrow yet.

They will most likely do it later in the evening.

If you have not already signed up, you can setup OPM alert to receive status update on your mobile, to your email etc.

There is even an iphone App from OPM that prompts a notification the moment OPM announce their decision on status (just in case if you need to be up to date).

Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I haven't heard an announcement from OPM yet. My money is on a closure tomorrow. The alternative is an early dismissal and I don't think they're going to risk that for fear that the dismissal time doesn't end up being early enough. One can imagine the disaster that would result if all of the Feds get dismissed just a little too late and get stuck on the way home. If the forecast is correct, people stuck in their car Friday night may be stuck there until Sunday morning. I doubt OPM wants that on their hands, especially after the mini-commutageddon last night.

Didn't we have the same exact situation a few years back?

Old 01-21-2016, 01:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Could be... Just looking at it from the DoD perspective.
I think people in my office confused the DC govt w the federal govt. Upon doing some research I don't see anything from OPM but I do see DC govt closing at noon tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM

529 posts, read 753,723 times
Just got an email from Verizon FIOS/

STARZ and ENCORE Free Preview 1/21–1/25

Enjoy all that STARZ® and ENCORE® have to offer! See the season premiere of Black Sails, plus have access to the newest and hottest movies. Check out the STARZ and ENCORE Free Preview weekend on channels 340 SD / 840 HD or enjoy FiOS On Demand.

In case if you have FIOS, you could watch these channels for free from 01/21 till 01/25. They offer this free preview once every few months..

Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM

Sharks! No FIOS in Alexandria. It was nice when Hulu had the Showtime free weekend last weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia