Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,792,089 times

Advertisements

I remember the Clinton years. I was young, but I was a rather activist, conservative Republican. I have long been a political junkie. I remember arguing at recess in elementary school in 1992 with a girl in an older grade why Bill Clinton would be an awful President. My mom used to take me to abortion clinics to stand outside with signs to try and discourage women from entering. I watched Rush Limbaugh's television program in the early 1990s after my paper route and routinely listened to his radio program after his TV show went off the air. At the time, I totally thought Clinton should have been impeached and removed from office. I voted for W. twice and also McCain and Romney. I never would have considered a vote for Obama, not even in hindsight - I always thought what he was running on was pie in the sky promises that would amount to nothing. And, but for Obamacare and the fact that he is our first African American President, I think his Presidency will be viewed by history as largely inconsequential.

All of that said, I voted for Hillary in the primary and, if the general were held today, that's who I would vote for among the candidates currently in the race.

As I've gotten older, I have become increasingly nonpartisan. I no longer consider myself a member of either political party. I'm tired of both sides refusing to work with the other, and I'm tired of Presidents like Obama and George W. who I don't think particularly enjoy the DC political game you have to play to get things done. Rather than brokering deals with the other side of the aisle, I think Obama would rather be hanging out with daughters in peace and quiet and W. would rather have been on his ranch - I can't say I blame them. To me, the Clinton's epitomize political animals - they will wake up every morning thinking about how they can either screw the other side or make a deal with them. They enjoy it. The lust for it. I think some of our better Presidents in history exhibited these same characteristics. After paying so much attention to politics for so many years, I think we need more of that on both sides. Not partisans who have no interest in anything but making an ideological point that no one really cares about except their hard core supporters in their gerrymandered districts that don't really represent the opinion of the general public.

That's my opinion in a nutshell FWIW - likely nothing to anyone who has a different opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 06:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You don't love someone because you don't know/ understand the other candidate. You love someone because they are promising you a lot of free sh*t.
This is literally the exact same thing I was going to post

Bernie reminds me of one of those kids running for class president that just throws around ridiculous promises to get elected

Old 03-05-2016, 06:47 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,722,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Yes, they all lie but she has made a career of it and the media supports her.

From all reports she intimidated those women. NOW backed them up. The media let it slide. If this had been a Republican, he would have been destroyed. I don't see a lot of difference between Bill Clinton and Bill Cosby. Cosby used drugs; Clintons used power, which is a drug.

Both men are despicable people and Hillary was an enabler just like Camille Cosby. They stuck around for the power and money.
Well, I do respectfully disagree with your perspective. There's no way I would lump Clinton and Cosby in the same boat.

Powerfully connected men have attracted young women for centuries. Hard as it is to believe, some young women look for men like Clinton and they have no issues with it. These women aren't forced. Yes, they are impressionable. Every woman who hooked up with Clinton knew what she was getting into and did so willingly. I don't think any woman with Cosby expected to be drugged. My disgust with Bill Clinton, is that he should have known better and kept it in his pants. All of his exploits happened at a time where media and personal attacking had started to become sport. How he thought it wouldn't come out is beyond me.

It's kind of funny because I don't feel like Hillary Clinton gets a pass in the media at all. If there's a juicy story, they won't care because all the media wants is the story. Period. Now the thoughts by the right that there is a media conspiracy for the left is just paranoia or really just the fact that they get mad that "mainstream" media won't push unsubstantiated claims. But, luckily, they have their Fox News to stoke them now.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:12 AM

4,906 posts, read 7,493,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I do respectfully disagree with your perspective. There's no way I would lump Clinton and Cosby in the same boat.

Powerfully connected men have attracted young women for centuries. Hard as it is to believe, some young women look for men like Clinton and they have no issues with it. These women aren't forced. Yes, they are impressionable. Every woman who hooked up with Clinton knew what she was getting into and did so willingly. I don't think any woman with Cosby expected to be drugged. My disgust with Bill Clinton, is that he should have known better and kept it in his pants. All of his exploits happened at a time where media and personal attacking had started to become sport. How he thought it wouldn't come out is beyond me.

It's kind of funny because I don't feel like Hillary Clinton gets a pass in the media at all. If there's a juicy story, they won't care because all the media wants is the story. Period. Now the thoughts by the right that there is a media conspiracy for the left is just paranoia or really just the fact that they get mad that "mainstream" media won't push unsubstantiated claims. But, luckily, they have their Fox News to stoke them now.

Of course some were willing. Monica certainly. But Clintons wouldn't have settled with Paula Jones if it had been willing. Juanita Broderick, Kathleen Willey and several others were not young and eager participants.
There's several others whose names I cannot recall and the media isn't interested in finding their stories.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 AM

529 posts, read 754,639 times
Is there any comparison chart between these contestants? Like what's their position on major issues that we face lately.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM

15,474 posts, read 25,944,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Is there any comparison chart between these contestants? Like what's their position on major issues that we face lately.
The vote already happened.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The vote already happened.
I know that the voting in VA already happened.

I was just asking to know more about these contestants and so I can be prepared for the General Election to caste my vote to the right candidate.

I am undecided but would like to learn how the Presidential nominees stand on key issues.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,497 times
Quote:
I know that the voting in VA already happened.

I was just asking to know more about these contestants and so I can be prepared for the General Election to caste my vote to the right candidate.

I am undecided but would like to learn how the Presidential nominees stand on key issues.
I think something like this would be useful. I don't know of a place to find it though. I usually just go to each candidates websites to see what their stance on certain issues is. These guys flip flop so much though it's hard to stay on top of it

Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I think something like this would be useful. I don't know of a place to find it though. I usually just go to each candidates websites to see what their stance on certain issues is. These guys flip flop so much though it's hard to stay on top of it
Exactly. If you follow debate, it's so confusing sometimes who said what and they keep flip-flop.

I will definitely go to their respective website to see more details.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
Quote:
Exactly. If you follow debate, it's so confusing sometimes who said what and they keep flip-flop.

I will definitely go to their respective website to see more details.

Thanks.

The League of Women's Voters usually has a side by side. It doesn't appear they've put it together, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia