Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:29 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita7210 View Post
And yeah I think fredericksburg is completely out of the question. I know my husband would be miserable with that commute.
You mentioned $350,000 was where you felt comfortable.. what is you comfort for the monthly payment? I only ask as a lot of online calculators are not necessarily accurate as they typically do not take into account taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 04:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yup, you are right, I am the only person who thinks it unwise to let a lender define your budget.
I am not sure of the merits of going into such a large purchase with as much information as you could possibly have. I try to do it with everything. Shaving soap? Research it. New motherboard? Research it. New car? Research it.

So when I went into my home buying experience I had a budget that I created using the tools available. I then spoke with a lender and they stated I could easily get house in that range. I would have loved to get the home that I got for that budget.

But looking at the homes in that range made me increase my budget. I spoke with the lender each time I wanted to change my budget. He even budgeted out two homes for me so I would know what the payments would be with all of the costs.

I think my initial budget was very conservative. I ended up getting a home $200,000 more than what I had thought. I have been here going on three years with no money problems and even had to lay down some expensive repairs, like new AC and some remodeling.

I think the OP's budget is probably low and they may be surprised at what they can get for a little more per month which I in turn think would make them happier long term.

BTW, looking at properties in the websites is horrible. Pictures do lie.

These are my experiences. I know they will not be what everyone would like but I cannot see how being more informed hurts in any way.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:54 PM

870 posts, read 2,110,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I stated that I would rather live in 3 of those 4 countries, than live in Woodbridge.
I was going to challenge this statement, and ask when the last time you were ever in the Woodbridge area (whichever zip code you wish to choose) and in the various countries you listed, but instead, I'll just reply in my best Georgia drawl:

Bless your heart.

Anita, I think you have been given a good amount to think about. Please look over your options, your budget, etc., and let us know if you have some other questions about traffic, schools, or particular neighborhoods. A family's budget is personal, and you know what you are comfortable paying.

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:50 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
I was going to challenge this statement, and ask when the last time you were ever in the Woodbridge area (whichever zip code you wish to choose) and in the various countries you listed, but instead, I'll just reply in my best Georgia drawl:

Bless your heart.

Anita, I think you have been given a good amount to think about. Please look over your options, your budget, etc., and let us know if you have some other questions about traffic, schools, or particular neighborhoods. A family's budget is personal, and you know what you are comfortable paying.

Good luck with your search.
I went to a football game at Woodbridge HS in 2008...out of the 200 pr so that I have been, too, just about the nastiest fans I've encountered. Always a big "criminal element." My Uncle resided there in the 60s, while at Quantico, and it kind of sucked then, too. I am a resident of Virginia, and I live 94 miles from Homein, Myanmar. I've met a number of people, who have taught school there, without putting up with any of the crap they would endure at WB. As far as Iran, I like the desert, pistachio nuts, and olives..most of them really do like Americans, and the ones I've met say they are trying to develop a large tourism infrastructure to welcome us back. Cuba? My mom is from Miami, so we obviously have had lots of exposure to the Cubans. I was assisting some refugees in 2010, and while one stated that "Castro is the biggest liar to ever walk the earth." He also stated that "Cox Cable is worse than Castro." He hadn't yet heard of HRC. I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever, that Cuba will become a major tropical paradise destination.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 08-21-2016 at 01:44 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 04:52 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Ah so one football game at a High School in 2008. I think it's easy to read what you meant by "criminal element" also.

Anita, take this with a grain of salt. It is an input after all.

The one thing about Woodbridge that you won't really see in some places that certain people love is "diversity." Both racial and economic. That is problematic for some people. And, to be honest, it is something to think about.

Along the socioeconomic lines, there is an "element" in Woodbridge that is there and can kind of "suck" as Hal Roach says. But I don't believe it is pervasive or ruins the whole town. A *lot* of people live here and a *lot* of people really enjoy it. It may not have been our first choice (we'd all like to live 10 minutes from our jobs) but many of us have chosen to stay and we enjoy it.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
was it too much "diversity" at WB for your daughter, or was it that she felt unsafe around gangs of thugs? Couldn't handle public schools, but I'll bet you've got an "inside track" on her DoD security clearance...

Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,695 times
The "I would never move to Woodbridge" conversation is always intriguing because there is, at least what feels to me, a undercurrent of bigotry there.

Having said that, Woodbridge is like anywhere else. There are lower income parts but there are also upscale, affluent parts. People don't typically pay $500K-$900K to live somewhere that is flooded with "thugs".

Old 08-21-2016, 07:01 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Here is another in that area. Don't be confused by the Manassas address.

5528 Hobsons Choice Loop, Manassas VA, 20112 for sale | Homes.com
Ha, with a street name like that, I'm surprised every house isn't required to be listed "as-is".
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yup, you are right, I am the only person who thinks it unwise to let a lender define your budget.
I'm with you on this one, spencgr.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
was it too much "diversity" at WB for your daughter, or was it that she felt unsafe around gangs of thugs? Couldn't handle public schools, but I'll bet you've got an "inside track" on her DoD security clearance...
What does that even mean regarding the DoD security clearance?

I will be honest here. Woodbridge HS was a little bit too "diverse" for her. But I don't mean that in a racial sense. More like an income sense in that many students there did not care about education. But they were not the majority. She came from a smaller, private school and was sort of shocked at the disrespect shown to the staff by some students. She was also a very average student so was not placed in the honors/gifted courses as a freshman. This, too, made a difference. She was fine there, though, made several friends, and was very involved in the theater group (she chose Woodbridge for their Fine Arts program), but in the end didn't care for it. On the other hand, two very good friends of mine had kids go through that school and had a great experience and go on to UVA and one of the military academies.

I have no problem being honest about the pitfalls of Woodbridge. What I don't care for is when people come on here who have extremely limited experience of the area tell people how horrible it is. If you had lived here, you'd have credibility, but you went to a football game and you "heard" things were not great from people. You sound like Donald Trump and for some reason you get very angry when anyone here says anything in contrast to your generalizations.

So, Anita, Woodbridge has it's warts and if you were able to afford a home that was $600,000 I would tell you to look closer to the city. But since your income levels and housing affordability match Woodbridge, you may very well fit right in with us thugs here.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
The "I would never move to Woodbridge" conversation is always intriguing because there is, at least what feels to me, a undercurrent of bigotry there.

Having said that, Woodbridge is like anywhere else. There are lower income parts but there are also upscale, affluent parts. People don't typically pay $500K-$900K to live somewhere that is flooded with "thugs".
Undercurrent? I think it's pretty "out there."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia