Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,498,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yup, you are right, I am the only person who thinks it unwise to let a lender define your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
I'm with you on this one, spencgr.
I see no problem with asking others for information. Knowledge is power. It was still up to me to make the decisions, I just did so from a more educated view.

I am not sure how both of you intrinsically know everything but good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I see no problem with asking others for information. Knowledge is power. It was still up to me to make the decisions, I just did so from a more educated view.

I am not sure how both of you intrinsically know everything but good for you.
I ask others for information all of the time and was fully informed when I bought my house.

A lender can tell me how much I qualify for and what rate I qualify for.

A lender cannot tell me my budget.

Only I can determine my budget.

No where in any of my posts have I ever indicated that I do not become educated before making major decisions or "intrinsically know everything".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
First get a real estate agent and see what your real budget is.
And to your original post, an agent can't tell you either.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I ask others for information all of the time and was fully informed when I bought my house.
So did asking people questions obligate you in any way?
Quote:
Yes they can, they can also give you your approximate monthly payments including taxes and insurance, which I found useful.
Quote:
They can tell you what you qualify for with them, which will give you the top of your price range and you can use that information to make your budget.
Quote:
Exactly, which is why I am so puzzled this is even an issue. Did you just figure this out?
Quote:
No where in any of my posts have I ever indicated that I do not become educated before making major decisions or "intrinsically know everything".
Nowhere in my post did I say you had to take what everyone tells you as gospel and obey. You seem to be trying to make an issue out of nothing. I think this should tell me something about you but I really do not care enough to think about you.
Quote:
Yes, I made a mistake. My lender representative worked for the real estate agency. So it was really easy for me.

He has since moved to another agency but would be my first call if I was ever to look again.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:07 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
The "I would never move to Woodbridge" conversation is always intriguing because there is, at least what feels to me, a undercurrent of bigotry there.

Having said that, Woodbridge is like anywhere else. There are lower income parts but there are also upscale, affluent parts. People don't typically pay $500K-$900K to live somewhere that is flooded with "thugs".
The only bigotry, here, is the soft bigotry of low expectations based on a persons race, and not holding them to the same standards accepted by the societies, which they live in, but apparently aren't a part of. Plenty have paid "500K-900K" to live on Capitol Hill, and might even be scared to walk the streets in broad daylight, especially after a police shooting or a Trump Rally.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The only bigotry, here, is the soft bigotry of low expectations based on a persons race, and not holding them to the same standards accepted by the societies, which they live in, but apparently aren't a part of. Plenty have paid "500K-900K" to live on Capitol Hill, and might even be scared to walk the streets in broad daylight, especially after a police shooting or a Trump Rally.
I do not agree with the above post.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
The "I would never move to Woodbridge" conversation is always intriguing because there is, at least what feels to me, a undercurrent of bigotry there.

Having said that, Woodbridge is like anywhere else. There are lower income parts but there are also upscale, affluent parts. People don't typically pay $500K-$900K to live somewhere that is flooded with "thugs".
Agreed. No one is ever going to confuse Woodbridge with Great Falls but it is a very solid town to live. And I'd live there in a hot second over returning back to Hampton Roads. In fact the only reason I won't consider living there now is the commute to Fairfax would be hell.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
This ain't the place for discussion, but as a Black male who lives in Northern VA, I'd argue that I'm held to HIGHER standards than other people here.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,990,640 times
Quote:

I agree with much of what you've said. HOWEVER...

I also agree with Old Guard on getting as much information, e.g., financing options, as I can. I and my wife will be the FINAL decision maker on this.

On my last purchase, being a geek, I coded in the mortgage formula into an excel spreadsheet including all expenses such as property tax, HOA fees, etc, and look at various financing options. Because this decision involves more that "how much I can afford per month" for me, it was also a "what can we live without in order to afford the house we want" decision. It is a highly personal decision and I agree do not let someone else talk you into something you don't want. There are different financing options, % rate with points/ without points, fixed vs variables & in-between, etc.

Much to my surprise & unexpected outcome, at the end, we decided to opt for a 15 year mortgage instead of 30 because 1). We were fortunate to be able to afford the payments with some sacrifices in other area, we don't buy new cars or go on exotic vacations, for example , 2) there was a strong desire in us to have the house paid for by the time I retired, 3) we were fortunate to live in a lower cost area.

But working with a mortgage company prior to making an offer is a good idea. You can submit a letter showing you're "pre-qualified" along with your offer which makes your offer in a stronger position.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:07 PM

I could not do a 15 year mortgage but it is a great vehicle. I hope to refinance into a 15 at some point.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:24 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
What does that even mean???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia