Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM

394 posts, read 435,113 times

Advertisements

I don't think you guys understand what sarcasm is but that's cool

I'll make sure to have my sarcasm reminder signature on next time I make a post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
OP, I think you deserve some credit for wanting to go to a place with a very different culture and for being open to learning there. My advice would be to watch out for what I call Pond Enlargement Syndrome.
what can I say? I love a challenge and learning new things... life isn't fun without it

Plus the money about lines up so it's even either way

Old 09-06-2016, 07:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
It's been an entertaining thread. I think some people are being too hard on the OP. He comes across as arrogant and douchey but maybe he is kidding around, who knows, tone doesn't exactly come across in msg board posts. If you're sick of Dallas and want to move to the east coast do it. You'll be fine on a salary of 105k. Certainly won't be able to afford the same luxuries with the much higher COL but you can easily survive here. You're still young, if you don't like it just move back.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It's been an entertaining thread. I think some people are being too hard on the OP. He comes across as arrogant and douchey but maybe he is kidding around, who knows, tone doesn't exactly come across in msg board posts. If you're sick of Dallas and want to move to the east coast do it. You'll be fine on a salary of 105k. Certainly won't be able to afford the same luxuries with the much higher COL but you can easily survive here. You're still young, if you don't like it just move back.
Agreed. This is the time of your life to take chances and try/see new areas.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 48,183 times
My wife and I moved from Dallas/Ft. Worth 7 years ago. I grew up in DFW and did not want to leave. We love it up here and plan to retire in the area. We rented in Alexandria for 5 years and bought a place in Annandale in 2014 that had everything we wanted. 1/2 Acre Large Auto Shop and a decent sized expandable house. There is so much to do in this area and very easy to travel to the big east coast cities. I felt land locked in DFW. I only go back to visit family and do not miss living there.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coair73x View Post
I felt land locked in DFW. I only go back to visit family and do not miss living there.
Hey thanks for the update man!

Yea I feel this way too and also the encompassing "boring" life that lays ahead for me... Stay here with a ~100k salary get married and have kids by the time i'm 30-35... The MRS lifestyle is beckoning and a long boring life of only living in Texas and getting old and fat doesn't appeal to me honestly lol I believe there is more to life than that.. also, within my field, I heard that the East Coast and NE (along with NoCal and WA) I heard are the hottest spots for me in the country

I'm only 28.

I absolutely look forward to seeing what the East Coast has to offer and actually just spoke with my potential manager in Virginia.

Since money won't honestly be a problem, besides getting out of my lease in Uptown, I think it would be a good idea for me...

I would say i'm probably 51% leaning toward the VA but i do not look forward to the car tax

Old 09-06-2016, 02:50 PM

To one of the posters, one of my co worker friends who flies down from DC monthly to Dallas went to UVA

I only have the view point from online sites/reading and my coworkers honestly

Old 09-06-2016, 02:57 PM

28 posts, read 48,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
Hey thanks for the update man!

Yea I feel this way too and also the encompassing "boring" life that lays ahead for me... Stay here with a ~100k salary get married and have kids by the time i'm 30-35... The MRS lifestyle is beckoning and a long boring life of only living in Texas and getting old and fat doesn't appeal to me honestly lol I believe there is more to life than that.. also, within my field, I heard that the East Coast and NE (along with NoCal and WA) I heard are the hottest spots for me in the country

I'm only 28.

I absolutely look forward to seeing what the East Coast has to offer and actually just spoke with my potential manager in Virginia.

Since money won't honestly be a problem, besides getting out of my lease in Uptown, I think it would be a good idea for me...

I would say i'm probably 51% leaning toward the VA but i do not look forward to the car tax

oh yes the car tax.. what year is that M? that will hurt. I have 3 registered vehicles and car tax was almost $1500 this year. I have a 17 Camaro SS purchased planned soon and tax on it will be close to $2000

Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM

already did the math... probably looking at 2k

Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I'm guessing that driving around in my M in my pink Lacoste polo while blaring "New Level" by Future windows down(obviously), shouting obscenities(especially where there's a sign that says I can't) and telling everyone how important my father is... isn't a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia