Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:19 AM

394 posts, read 434,809 times

Advertisements

what's up guys!

Sorry, not trying to sound pretentious or cocky, i was merely trying to be BLUNT, HONEST, and SUCCINCT

i didn't feel like writing a longer post to explain it

My main points are that I'm aware that the world is a big place and that VA is a great area,close to other areas as well (NYC, PA, the NE area, NC, MD, etc) and not to mention the salary isn't "bad"

To answer your question, the M is paid off, so no debts!

The other things is... I'm aware that SMU isn't as good as TJ, Georgetown, UVA(I actually applied here when I was in college and didn't get it LMAO, so i'm aware), William &Mary, Elon(more in NC, but about the same), Duke, etc.
But i'm being honest and i'm actually doing "decently" well I would surmise.

Furthermore, I've lived in Uptown Dallas so I know the TRUE meaning of pretentious Dallas. There is nothing more annoying than seeing some jacka** stroll around in a full piece CK suit(only costs like $500) and then drive around in a Toyota Camry/Carolla(or something along that price range) <-- i've seen it PLENTY, PLENTY of times to **** me off! Or here some idiot talk about how much he's making to see he can't even afford a $10 drink(not that expensive i've been to Congress Austin, midtown Houston) even though he's making "$150,000". It's annoying.

Yes, I drive an M series, but that's b/c i could afford it and it's paid off lol. If you do the math, with good credit, the payment(I own) for the M was only about 1/6 my salary or less. I don't actually dress "pretentious" or "clickish", but i will admit that I have to wear atleast an Oxford and tie to work(probably gave away my work environment) because well... I HAVE to lol. Otherwise i'm not some idiot who's "pretending" to be something he's not. So again, I apologize if it came off as "pretentious" where i'm literally just being honest and straightforward.

Dallas is nice and i guess you could say i'm in the top 10% or so here income wise... but it is VERY VERY much the city of "pretenders" and trust me... I know. I dislike that environment. I would much rather be around others who are just as educated, similar income, etc than a bunch of idiots who are so blatantly fake. And that's why I am highly considering VA,also the short(er) commute to other states(as mentioned before) is a big plus for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
WaPo indicates you can live "comfortably" for $108k (although no real definition of what that means).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...c-report-says/

My point was that he is obviously living well above "comfortable" in Dallas; so it would be a move to a less expensive lifestyle in DC/ NoVA.
yes Dallas I have found to be very affordable for me.... But the fakeness and pretentiusness of people who aren't really doing well turns me off big time.

It's annoying.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You're better off in Texas. If you're making 95 k and are single in dallas, you are doing great. And your attitude emanates pure Dallas. Nobody cares about your "top tier private university" here. I would say dime a dozen, but there are many Ivy league grads here. Along with UVA, UNC, Michigan, etc. SMU isn't going to raise any eyebrows here unless it's in the "where is that?"
many of my coworkers here went to UVA, Georgetown, a SUNY school...

I only mentioned my school b/c i'm not coming from some ***** school

Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
what's up guys!

Sorry, not trying to sound pretentious or cocky, i was merely trying to be BLUNT, HONEST, and SUCCINCT

i didn't feel like writing a longer post to explain it

My main points are that I'm aware that the world is a big place and that VA is a great area,close to other areas as well (NYC, PA, the NE area, NC, MD, etc) and not to mention the salary isn't "bad"

To answer your question, the M is paid off, so no debts!

The other things is... I'm aware that SMU isn't as good as TJ, Georgetown, UVA(I actually applied here when I was in college and didn't get it LMAO, so i'm aware), William &Mary, Elon(more in NC, but about the same), Duke, etc.
But i'm being honest and i'm actually doing "decently" well I would surmise.

Furthermore, I've lived in Uptown Dallas so I know the TRUE meaning of pretentious Dallas. There is nothing more annoying than seeing some jacka** stroll around in a full piece CK suit(only costs like $500) and then drive around in a Toyota Camry/Carolla(or something along that price range) <-- i've seen it PLENTY, PLENTY of times to **** me off! Or here some idiot talk about how much he's making to see he can't even afford a $10 drink(not that expensive i've been to Congress Austin, midtown Houston) even though he's making "$150,000". It's annoying.

Yes, I drive an M series, but that's b/c i could afford it and it's paid off lol. If you do the math, with good credit, the payment(I own) for the M was only about 1/6 my salary or less. I don't actually dress "pretentious" or "clickish", but i will admit that I have to wear atleast an Oxford and tie to work(probably gave away my work environment) because well... I HAVE to lol. Otherwise i'm not some idiot who's "pretending" to be something he's not. So again, I apologize if it came off as "pretentious" where i'm literally just being honest and straightforward.

Dallas is nice and i guess you could say i'm in the top 10% or so here income wise... but it is VERY VERY much the city of "pretenders" and trust me... I know. I dislike that environment. I would much rather be around others who are just as educated, similar income, etc than a bunch of idiots who are so blatantly fake. And that's why I am highly considering VA,also the short(er) commute to other states(as mentioned before) is a big plus for me
Good rebuttal. Good luck. I made the move from Texas to DC. No regrets at all.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
A few things.

This is generally not a place where young people go to settle down. Often, people will come to this area to get experience and move back to their hometown or state to settle down as costs are so high to live.
There is some car culture here, however roads, congestion at all hours, and high penalties for speeding leave a lot of lead-footed gear-heads frustrated.
Dallas (and Houston) drivers are some of the worst, scariest and most aggressive I've ever experienced so yes, drivers are better here. You will stick out like a bad apple if you drive like a typical Dallas driver.
Many young people reverse commute from Arlington so that they are closer to the action on nights and weekends. Some people split the difference and live in Merrifield. Most people don't commute from DC proper out.

You won't be making enough for a single family detached home. If you are looking for a change and don't care about a pay cut then go for it. Expect a different culture here. I was at a party the other day and was introduced to another Texas expat and knew he was from Dallas before he even opened his mouth. Point being- you will probably stick out.

There are exceptions to every generalization. I'm an exception to many things said above, but this is what I see in Fairfax area and larger metro region.
I work with a lot of guys from E. Coast area, DC(the tristate), VA, and the Northeastern part of the U.S.

As far as settling down, i'm just open to it. I would just have to assume that 105k is AT LEAST "respectable" in the area. I never made a guess that it was in the upper 10%(like it is in Dallas lol)

I'm actually a very good driver, i HATE Texas drivers and don't trust them

For a home i would look maybe not in the Tristate area but northeastern U.S.

For "culture"... no i'm aware, there's a lot of pretenders in Dallas which gets annoying and so that's actually why i'm looking for hte move.

I'm aware that educational, professional, and income wise I would probably be amongst peers in VA... which i prefer because i guess it's one of those "birds of a feather" type things

Old 09-02-2016, 10:35 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:

Why would it matter what school you went to? It's completely irrelevant for this thread.

Honestly, the more you post, the more arrogant you sound.

So, what I read from the last few posts is that people in Dallas pretend to be rich, when they are actually not. And, it is annoying to you, because you are actually rich, so you don't have to pretend to be anything. So, you'd like to move to an area where there are other rich people like you; all enjoying a great lifestyle; unbothered by those poor pretenders. Did I summarize it accurately?

You'll be in for a huge shock here.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Why would it matter what school you went to? It's completely irrelevant for this thread.

So, what I read from the last few posts is that people in Dallas pretend to be rich, when they are actually not. And, it is annoying to you, because you are actually rich, so you don't have to pretend to be anything. So, you'd like to move to an area where there are other rich people like you; all enjoying a great lifestyle; unbothered by those poor pretenders. Did I summarize it accurately?

You'll be in for a huge shock here.
not really "enjoying a great lifestyle" .... just NOT being fake or pretending to be something they're not

Have you ever been to Uptown Dallas? Do you know how ridiculous it is to see some idiot stroll up to a bar in a full piece suit to try to order a $12 martini and then leave in a POS Toyota and to act/flaunt/talk about how much he makes (basically make an a** of himself) and leave? It's annoying

Again, I wouldn't say "great lifestyle" I would just say "real" or "practical"... I'm aware that income wise I would be about median in the Tristate area. I am aware that VA can be snobby, but i would much rather have someone be "snobby" and BACK IT UP then someone lie.

Have you ever looked at an apartment and had your realtor tell you they drive an M6? and ... yet.. when you look in the parking lot all you see are beat up old Mazdas? In Dallas it happens ROFLMAO. I wasn't even aware someone in the real estate/apartment renting business could afford a $120,000 car... but if you know of someone like that, please let me know LOL I don't like that, be real... be HONEST

*for school, did you not read my other post? I merely said i wanted to give an honest, blunt, succint/short and to the point background of where i'm coming from... I didn't know what else to post lol. Just drop it.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:49 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Truth.
Oh, the irony of pretentiously complaining about pretentious people.

(And it's "cliquish", not "clickish")

Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Truth.
Oh, the irony of pretentiously complaining about pretentious people.

(And it's "cliquish", not "clickish")
um... would much rather just be honest about my situation than lie/pretend about something

so maybe you misinterpreted it

Old 09-02-2016, 11:06 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:

#61 in national rankings according to one report. Not saying that's bad, but not sure I would say prestigious either. But irrelevant in DC.

Dallas really is home to what's called the 30k millionaire. Lives at home so that they can "afford" to pay for the leased BMW. Ironic you mentioned that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia