Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
Most are silver maples and the trees are weak. Not all trees are good quality

https://www.houselogic.com/photos/ya...r-saccharinum/
Where did you get the information on the number of silver maples? I have a black walnut, which I am not fond of, and two beautiful sycamores that are each around 80' tall. Love those sycamores.

I am considering planting a white oak in the back corner of the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Most are silver maples and the trees are weak. Not all trees are good quality

https://www.houselogic.com/photos/ya...r-saccharinum/
I agree that silver maples are not the best choice but a young strong tree doesn't need to be taken down on the chance that problems will arise in 30 years. I have swamp maples and although we have lost some due to weather others are doing fine.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
I personally wouldn't put a huge house on my lot at the expense of the backyard, but I like a big backyard. Some people don't care. There will still be plenty of trees in Vienna in 20 years though. Just find the house that's perfect for you and be happy there, whether it's Vienna or somewhere else. If you get a house with a big enough yard you can have as many trees as you want and you won't even be able to notice whether your neighbor has 3 or 10.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:27 AM

318 posts, read 367,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I personally wouldn't put a huge house on my lot at the expense of the backyard, but I like a big backyard. Some people don't care. There will still be plenty of trees in Vienna in 20 years though. Just find the house that's perfect for you and be happy there, whether it's Vienna or somewhere else. If you get a house with a big enough yard you can have as many trees as you want and you won't even be able to notice whether your neighbor has 3 or 10.
It is not an efficient design of a neighborhood to build houses on large lots. The bank also appraises larger homes so overall it is better to build a larger home on a smaller lot .

Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
It is not an efficient design of a neighborhood to build houses on large lots.

What do you describe as neighborhood efficiency? I've never cared about "efficiency" when looking at neighborhoods.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:47 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
Quote:
Most trees in the areas are bad and shouldn't be near homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Why?

Personally, I love trees - from the small showy varieties like Japanese Maples, to the spectacular like Weeping Cherries and then the Grande Dames like the Pin Oaks and the American Chestnuts I've been fortunate enough to see ( https://www.acf.org/va/about/our-newsletter-the-bur/) When I purchased my previous houses, I bought with mature trees on site. That was a plus in my book, but as the homeowner responsible for them, I am very conscious that I will incur costs for them in care, maintenance, cleanup, and most particularly when things go wrong.

Simplest approach is to buy a lot with no trees on it. But, if you love trees, there are some basic inspection points you can do as a potential buyer, and as a home owner.

1. Does the tree have noticeable dead spots?
2. Is it being strangled by ivy?
3. Is it hanging on facing death from known tree killers in the area like pests or diseases?
4. Is something horrible happening to the roots or crown like sidewalks, driveways, utility crews armed with cherry pickers and chainsaws, etc.?

Scientific American has a useful article on some other ways to assess tree vulnerability
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...le-in-a-storm/

Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Our little HOA is getting ready to spend 35K for 30 year old tree removal. All of their roots have disrupted sidewalks and cement stairases. I am sure when those trees were planted, no one imagined they would be the monters they became.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:46 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What do you describe as neighborhood efficiency? I've never cared about "efficiency" when looking at neighborhoods.
It appears the city of Houston cared too much about efficiency.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It appears the city of Houston cared too much about efficiency.
As a former resident of Houston, Houston is perhaps the least efficient city as far as zoning and planning goes. All ad hoc. Not thinking of the future at any point. Very reactionary.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:07 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
As a former resident of Houston, Houston is perhaps the least efficient city as far as zoning and planning goes. All ad hoc. Not thinking of the future at any point. Very reactionary.
My context was efficient in building subdivision after subdivision (sprawl) with no regard for proper city and environmental planning. Real Estate profits over safety and sustainability. Part of why the flooding was so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia