Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,326,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
OK that definitely makes sense - and since Tysons Corner station is where the mall is, it makes sense that it would be doing relatively well too. I've never used that specific stop so I have no idea. I have used Spring Hill twice and there were no more than maybe 5 people on the platform either time.

I'm also surprised the Silver Line actually lost riders on any level between 2014 and 2017, especially considering how much more development there is around the station now than there was then. But I guess when you're simultaneously cutting hours and frequency during this growth, that's possible. I think long term, the line will be fine though.
It will be fine. Tysons is adding something around 2000 residents a year, mostly people specifically buying for access to metro. If they brought back normal headways on the weekends, the entirety of the losses would be returned. The vast majority of losses have been on Saturday/Sunday ridership, and the majority of those because of the loss of late night hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 03:49 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I did not say I agree with it.

I can certainly see FC trying it.

It is foolish to believe that government will not try anything to get what it wants.

Porc

In any case, the SL will languish if the stops are far from development that has lots of parking.
You failed to address my questions. You make accusations and fail to address the questions. I see nothing stating that they will use Eminent Domain to get this land. Do you have any information on this? I know a few dealerships that have cashed out and moved to new locations with seemingly little impact so I am not sure why Koon's would not sell if the offer were lucrative enough. Also I am pretty Sure TJ Maxx and DSW lease. The landlords may wish to develop the land themselves when those leases are up. This just seems like an out of the blue "evil gubment" post with no basis.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:16 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You failed to address my questions. You make accusations and fail to address the questions. I see nothing stating that they will use Eminent Domain to get this land. Do you have any information on this? I know a few dealerships that have cashed out and moved to new locations with seemingly little impact so I am not sure why Koon's would not sell if the offer were lucrative enough. Also I am pretty Sure TJ Maxx and DSW lease. The landlords may wish to develop the land themselves when those leases are up. This just seems like an out of the blue "evil gubment" post with no basis.
That's how I see it going down. All those strip centers and dealerships will be gone in 5 years.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 PM

57 posts, read 90,616 times
The counties can encourage development by raising the property assessments. If there's a used car dealer or Self Storage facility located next door to a Metrorail station, the County can raise their property value until it becomes unsustainable for that land use to remain there.

Imminent Domain no longer exists in VA. None of the northern VA counties would ever condemn a property.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
The counties can encourage development by raising the property assessments. If there's a used car dealer or Self Storage facility located next door to a Metrorail station, the County can raise their property value until it becomes unsustainable for that land use to remain there.

Imminent Domain no longer exists in VA. None of the northern VA counties would ever condemn a property.
In Tysons, that's not the dynamic. The land has become so valuable, that if you are holding onto a property like that, that can be upzoned for high rises, as the land owner you are going to be offered somewhere between 3 to 15 million dollars per acre depending on it's actual location. These property owners are also actively part of rezonings, because if they can get the rezoning passed with allowance for a 30-40 story building, now that property is worth even more, upwards of 20 million per acre I believe is the current high point for barren land thus far.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,077,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
Imminent Domain no longer exists in VA.
It's Eminent Domain, and it exists everywhere. Typical modern uses involve road-building projects and expansions in public utility networks.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
It's Eminent Domain, and it exists everywhere. Typical modern uses involve road-building projects and expansions in public utility networks.
No one is debating the presence of eminent domain, atleast I'm not (they used it for the Fairfax County Parkway connection if I recall correctly). I'm pointing out that the use of it by private developers has been done less than a handful of times in the entirety of the countries modern history, and never in Fairfax or Virginia to my knowledge.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
No one is debating the presence of eminent domain, atleast I'm not (they used it for the Fairfax County Parkway connection if I recall correctly). I'm pointing out that the use of it by private developers has been done less than a handful of times in the entirety of the countries modern history, and never in Fairfax or Virginia to my knowledge.
I believe they used it for the Sprigfield interchange but those were major transportation projects. I do not know of any use in the Tysons area.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM

322 posts, read 276,951 times
I was in my 20s when they first started talking about a metro to Dulles. I'm 50 now

Old 08-25-2017, 12:21 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,188,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I believe they used it for the Sprigfield interchange but those were major transportation projects. I do not know of any use in the Tysons area.

I believe TE's point is that eminent domain isn't used by private developers to ascertain land; which was the allegation in an earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia