Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,533,199 times

Advertisements

Three years after opening, the Silver Line struggles to attract riders - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,075,425 times
You mean, 2004 projections prove to have been off the mark. Shocking.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,348,918 times
Well, it's expensive, inefficient, sometimes dangerous and run by a bunch of entitled idiots. What did they expect?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:45 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
You mean, 2004 projections prove to have been off the mark. Shocking.
I agree- A lot has changed since 2004, especially when it comes to Metro. They've cut back hours, closed entire lines for weeks at a time and and in general become a fairly unreliable mode of transportation- especially outside of working hours. No wonder the numbers are off! Add in they decided to put little to no parking at places like the McLean station which could aid in bringing in additional riders. Maybe I am off but it seemed like they designed most of the stations to reflect the 'urban' Tysons area projected 20 years for now versus current state- Probably would've helped to incorporate a bit of the present area dynamics along with the future.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:14 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I agree- A lot has changed since 2004, especially when it comes to Metro. They've cut back hours, closed entire lines for weeks at a time and and in general become a fairly unreliable mode of transportation- especially outside of working hours. No wonder the numbers are off! Add in they decided to put little to no parking at places like the McLean station which could aid in bringing in additional riders. Maybe I am off but it seemed like they designed most of the stations to reflect the 'urban' Tysons area projected 20 years for now versus current state- Probably would've helped to incorporate a bit of the present area dynamics along with the future.
Metro put no parking in at the McLean, Tysons Corner, Greensboro or Spring Hill stations for the reasons you mentioned. It was all designed to discourage driving into Tysons and in anticipation of car-less commuters going to and from Tysons.

Fortunately, there is a private surface lot adjacent to the McLean station which is very convenient for some folks. It will disappear when that parcel (Scotts Run Station North) gets developed, but it's the edge of Tysons, so private landowners will likely continue to offer parking nearby. People who live near, but not within walking distance of, Greensboro and Spring Hill won't be so lucky.

There's also quite a distance between Spring Hill and Wiehle. Had they added a station with parking near Wolf Trap in between the two stations, they would have gotten more riders from Great Falls, north Vienna and western McLean.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:13 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,408,474 times
For a long time I feel like people have overstated metro's importance to the area. I stopped using metro years ago when I lived in Arlington and it was easier to drive than to deal with the daily endless issues of metro. I know a lot of people who do the same.

Even with the declicing ridership numbers, they're still building new stations although I predict Ashburn may do a bit better since it's much further out.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 PM

91 posts, read 111,668 times
That stop on 7 as we are heading east through Tysons with absolutely no parking- why, just why did they decide to do that? Tysons is not even pedestrian friendly. No wonder they're having a tough time getting riders.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,902,463 times
IMO believe that many of the large stripmall/autosales lots along the Silver will soon been taken via
Eminent Domain so skyscrapers will be built along the line with short skywalkways to each buildings High Density - Short Metro Walks - No Garages

Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,498,980 times
People wanted underground stations through Tysons and they built raised tracks in the middle of a very busy 6ish lane road. There is nothing that says I do not wish to do business with you like a 6 lane moat patrolled by 2 ton objects going 45MPH.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 AM

810 posts, read 1,026,513 times
I don't see myself taking it until it reaches Dulles airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia