Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:26 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I believe TE's point is that eminent domain isn't used by private developers to ascertain land; which was the allegation in an earlier post.
Ahhhh, got it. That is generally my belief as well though I know withing recent years there was a questionable use on the national news. Not in NOVA though.

I generally do not believe these evil gubement conspiracy theories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:27 PM

136 posts, read 223,059 times
Unless something changed, the state CAN use eminent domain to take private property for the purpose of selling it to a private developer under SCOTUS's Kelo decision. But that doesn't mean that the state will do this. Such takings are generally very unpopular.

As others noted, it's unlikely to happen in Tysons. As the area develops, it won't make financial sense to use the land for businesses with lower revenue.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 PM

550 posts, read 366,552 times
Other finer details why Silver Line Ridership is suffering:
* Dulles Toll Road by car or express bus from Route 7 to 123 where the line enter and exits the Tysons area 2.5 minutes at highway speed. Silver Line with four stops through Tysons 8 minutes, assuming Metrorail is not having hiccups.
* No matter who your cell phone carrier is, dead zone in part of the tunnel between Greenboro and Tysons Corner Center; otherwise could have a 25 minute uninterrupted call between Wiehle almost to Ballston. You would think as the new line was built, someone would have had the foresight to put cellular antennas in it.
* Wire mesh instead of glass on the sides of the overhead walkways entering the stations. The supposed reason was to increase air flow, but truly to cut construction costs, at the expense of customer comfort and safety. In the winter, liquid frozen precipitation blows into the walkways. The situation is particularly bad on cold windy days at Wiehle with traffic whizzing by at 55+ mph below on the Dulles Toll Road.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
[FONT="Arial Black"]IMO [/FONT]believe that many of the large stripmall/autosales lots along the Silver will soon been taken via
Eminent Domain so skyscrapers will be built along the line with short skywalkways to each buildings High Density - Short Metro Walks - No Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You failed to address my questions. You make accusations and fail to address the questions.

Geez og

Do you not understand what IMO means? You did not read what I said. Plus do you not understand what porc is? Not on your game, geez...

In any case I still stand by IMO that I could see one arm of local Gov't or another trying to take over the space wasting properties and trying to up the density and metro access.

I'm from SoCal. I am acclimated to overreaching gov't

Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

In Tysons, Koons,cherner,etc (in the case of TJMaxx and DSW those are own by Fed Realty if I remember) so again those land owners would of their own volition choose to demolish their properties and build something different. If anything, the county sets up minimum requirements (more affordable housing, parks, school contributions) for them to be allowed to do that, not the other way around. The tenants of those properties, especially DSW and those at the Leesburg 7 Plaza, have leases for X number of years as tenants (just like renting an apartment). In the case of the ones you mentioned, the property owner specifically is not rezoning because they have on-going leases through 2020 (iirc). What typically will happen is the owner will allow the tenants to complete their leases, and when that occurs they will submit for rezoning (sometimes they submit for the rezoning earlier as this is a 2 to 5 year process).

Two to five years later, after the rezoning is review, then the land owner can then submit actual construction drawings, which take another year to approve. Then after all that time, they could begin redevelopment with actual machinery.

Do you think these stripmalls will wait to see how the busy Dulles SL extension business does in/about 2020 then decide keep as is, change/sell the properties in Tysons?

Old 08-25-2017, 04:52 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Other finer details why Silver Line Ridership is suffering:
* Wire mesh instead of glass on the sides of the overhead walkways entering the stations. The supposed reason was to increase air flow, but truly to cut construction costs, at the expense of customer comfort and safety. In the winter, liquid frozen precipitation blows into the walkways. The situation is particularly bad on cold windy days at Wiehle with traffic whizzing by at 55+ mph below on the Dulles Toll Road.
That was a big negative to me too. I hope they will put glass or something on the new stations going up, but I'm sure they don't plan to do that. That is an example of stupid design.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Do you think these stripmalls will wait to see how the busy Dulles SL extension business does in/about 2020 then decide keep as is, change/sell the properties in Tysons?
No, many have already begun their rezoning process, and others are in early stages in their preparation. The silver line is the catalyst, but Tysons was going to leave its suburban office park past behind regardless. If anything the past two years has seen a faster growth in the redevelopment process with new folks coming in with much more ambitious plans (see the Clemente proposal)

Land development just takes a really long time, I think most layman don't realize because they see the final portions (the actual construction). But rezoning + construction plans + putting down initial infrastructure can be anything from 5 years to 10 years of process that to the casual observer would appear to be leaving a property fallow.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:49 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Unless something changed, the state CAN use eminent domain to take private property for the purpose of selling it to a private developer under SCOTUS's Kelo decision. But that doesn't mean that the state will do this. Such takings are generally very unpopular.

As others noted, it's unlikely to happen in Tysons. As the area develops, it won't make financial sense to use the land for businesses with lower revenue.
Something has changed. It was voted on in 2012 and an amendment was added to the Va constitution prohibiting eminent domain for private property development with the exception of blighted and abandoned properties.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ection1-219.1/

Old 08-28-2017, 02:06 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
The amendment was a song-and-dance PR reaction to the perception of Kelo as some radical diversion from settled law. Anyone reading it will be most impressed with the massive carved out exceptions that cover virtually all condemnations actually contemplated in the state.
c

Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM

49 posts, read 99,525 times
They should spend more time improving the infrastructure inner city of DC!!!!! Tysons metro is pretttty boring...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia