Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update on the Springfield one NeganGrimes (although I've never been in there) - since the BK filing I have to wonder if there will be any left? Still curious what will go into the space (and it's large) in the Annandale location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 02:29 AM

290 posts, read 634,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Sears owns ~1/3 of the mall land including their stores and parking lots. The landmark mall area is being redeveloped into another urban village (like mosiac) and Sears is in talks to sell all its real estate there to the developer. It is still open because it is beneficial to the deal in some way...maybe they can get more for the land since there is a "profitable" store still on it.

The store will close when the deal is done.
There have been plans to redevelop that site for at least 10 years now. Initially it was stalled out by the recession but I think they've been waiting a bit longer for the site to catch on and for Annandale's commercial real estate market to take off. It's an inside the Beltway, relatively central location and it has some parallels to Mosiac. However, there's no metro station anywhere nearby and no larger Central Business District (like Tysons) within several miles. It's actually within a few miles of Mosiac up Annandale to Gallows Road as well as Bailey's Crossroads up Columbia Pike and Fairfax and Lincolnia and West End Alexandria along 236 but those other places aren't really Transit Oriented Development areas. Development in that area seems stuck at a smaller scale for the time being. It would be nice to see some imagination and boldness taken with the site though. It's really prime real estate there. I know several people who've moved into the area recently and are excited about the possibilities.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Anyone heard whats going in the old Kmart in Annandale?

Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
Anyone remember the gun range that used to be there? Old school gun range in the basement of a building, the targets were hand cranked, owned by a long time family who lived in the area - but I think they lost their lease and the family moved out of the area like 15 years ago. That was old Annandale. Remember there was a an old family owned military surplus store there too called Annandale surplus, just a little rag tag mom & pop store that sold military surplus and hunting gear. K Mart was the last bastion of a bygone era in this part of Northern Virginia, when people were kinder and nicer to each other.
Yes, I worked at the crown station in high school. Brooks Robinson signed my training certificate. Our saying was GO TO HESS! The best thing about that Kmart was the Tom Weston's next door...steak. steak fries, cold beer...that area beats the heck out of many of the more expensive, further out areas. That jack-in-the-box was one of the few late night options. even for Springfielders.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 PM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
Wow, stumbled on this post brought back some old memories. I worked the sporting goods store at this Kmart in high school back in '84 getting paid $3.75/hr. I'll have to drop by the area for a visit when I'm in town this summer if the nearby bowling lanes are still there.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
Wow, stumbled on this post brought back some old memories. I worked the sporting goods store at this Kmart in high school back in '84 getting paid $3.75/hr. I'll have to drop by the area for a visit when I'm in town this summer if the nearby bowling lanes are still there.
If you are talking about the bowling alley further West? As far as I know it's still there. (my first job in high school was at a KMart in Pa - I was 15 - I was cashier at the front and in the home improvement (they used to sell lumber, etc.), also did inventory back when they stocked fish tanks, etc. - try counting fish swimming around, LOL) - memories.

Back to topic - I would think that would be a good property for something good (I hope) - we'll see I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia