Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 05:52 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...aceful_driver/Disgusting and a shame. I mean there’s racism everywhere but now sadly it surfaces in Northern Virginia. This police officers actions I believe are to forceful and the other police officers are just watching. The main officer currently works for the Fairfax County PD his name is Charles Hewitt. I think it’s good that it surfaced so the public knows but it’s just sad we have this in our community. I believe the man should be fired and maybe charged with harassment and assault. Just a good thing for people to know what is happening in our community
How about getting your facts straight before posting. This was a VSP and not a Fairfax County officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:08 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
pretty simple, do what you're told or face the consequences. If necessary, you'll be beat down.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:50 AM

1,023 posts, read 913,935 times
So do you do what police are telling you to do even if they, themselves are breaking the law at that moment? Its also weird that no one mentions the part where he refers to himself as "a specimen" and shouts out "watch the show" before grabbing the driver? Was that apart of his training? A specimen lol. Where the benefit of doubt is placed is always interesting to watch. If I think I may agree with you then I need more information. If I disagree with you then I've seen enough and already know that you were wrong. Interesting stuff. Also, things don't have to be mutually exclusive. The driver could have been non compliant AND the police officer could have been on a power trip. I think his smile, specimen and watch the show comments are enough to make that assumption. When I talk about where the benefit of the doubt is placed I mean things like how some will assume that the driver may have done something to provoke the officer before the start of the video; it is just as reasonable to assume that the officer had done something to make the driver feel that his life is endangered, I mean "specimen" is n*zi and eugenics talk after all. Your personal bias leads you to decide where the benefit of doubt is placed.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:02 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Oh, he works for the state, that kind of makes sense... when the story first came out, people were hitting Fairfax County pretty hard on social media, but something seemed off to me. Maybe I'm being presumptuous but I'm pretty sure this type of behavior wouldn't be tolerated in Fairfax County or anywhere in NoVa.

Now the rest of the state is a different story which it sounds like the investigation they're doing is in Richmond and not FFX.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 07-16-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 08:28 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It appears (from the comments in the link) that he was pulled over for an expired inspection sticker. The original officer made a comment that she smelled marijuana and called for backup. Appears this guy was part of the back-up called.

So, let's assume that story is true, and let's assume this guy does not smoke marijuana and knows that his car does not smell like marijuana. My guess is that this man is now pretty pissed that back-up was called for reasons to him that can only be construed as racism (as there was no marijuana) and is now pretty sick of being asked to "exit the vehicle" for no valid reason; when he knows the majority of white people would not have that same scrutiny. So, in his mind, no, he shouldn't have to leave the vehicle, and he was going to document himself just asserting his rights.

So, yes, I put a lot of assumptions there, and I don't know if that is the true story or not. But to just jump to "but the guy could've avoided the whole thing if he had just done what the officer was asking him to do by getting out of the vehicle" is true......but maybe he is putting his foot down. As a white woman, I was taught to respect the police and I absolutely do. But my parents never had to have a specific conversation with me that I needed to absolutely obey every word a police officer said or it may result in my life ending. Essentially, WHATEVER THEY SAY, you do, no matter how wrong or unfair it is. How many minorities do you know who haven't had that specific conversation with their parents? Everyone I know says they have, and have had them with their own children. Maybe this guy is just sick that there appears to be two different standards. If the story is true, why should he have had to get out of the car?
I was driving down Glebe road years ago and some lady took a left turn in front of me and I T-Boned her. So the cop comes and gets the information and then the officer looks at me and says "I smell marijuana" I said I didn't. Then after the third or fourth time he said this I just looked at him and told him I would be more than happy to go back to his station and take a **** test. Four other officers showed up at some point though I do not know if they were called. I was not bothered at all, it just seems like what they are trained to do.

This person in the video chose to disobey a lawful order and not comply. The side of the road is not the place to fight this. It is a dangerous area. You comply and then fight in court if needed.

There are so many people that think they do not have to comply for various reasons and it is all nonsense. If you do not believe me look up Sovereign citizens on Youtube.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:37 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,711,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
The driver refused lawful orders. He was taken into custody. What's the issue?

Also, since the officers name isn't mentioned in the article, I've reported your post to admins. The officer could face harassment with the release of this info. Doxxing in any form is poor netiquette and goes against the TOS.
The driver claims he is not resisting while resisting during the entire encounter.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The driver claims he is not resisting while resisting during the entire encounter.
You do not have to comply as long as you are filming and tell them you will comply.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Neither seems in the right to me.

I would expect to be asked to step out of my car if stopped when driving with a suspended license. I would not have that expectation for simply having expired tags. Since the operator of the vehicle wasn't supposed to be driving, seems like arresting him and impounding the vehicle would have been appropriate. You can't do either if the driver won't leave the car.

On the other hand, the cop's behavior was unprofessional. He was profane and full of himself, and acted like he relished tearing the driver out of the vehicle.

So I would discipline the cop, fine the driver, and laugh at the driver if he tried to recover damages.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
On the other hand, the cop's behavior was unprofessional. He was profane and full of himself, and acted like he relished tearing the driver out of the vehicle.
The problem I have is that I think getting loud and being forceful is part of the training to avoid the need for actual physical confrontation and so that the person knows it is coming. If the cop was saying "Hey I understand but sir I would really appreciate it if you got out of the car" over and over again while the person was not complying and then just launched into dragging him out people would be complaining that the driver was given no real warning and was ambushed. Getting out of the car even if you do not think it is a valid request can be dealt with in court if you go there. It is certainly safer for the officers to move off the road but I do not think that this person cared about anyone other than themselves.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:15 AM

1,023 posts, read 913,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Oh, he works for the state, that kind of makes sense... when the story first came out, people were hitting Fairfax County pretty hard on social media, but something seemed off to me. Maybe I'm being presumptuous but I'm pretty sure this type of behavior wouldn't be tolerated in Fairfax County or anywhere in NoVa.

Now the rest of the state is a different story which it sounds like the investigation they're doing is in Richmond and not FFX.
Literally happened in Fairfax and you still rest of VA'd it lol. You don't miss a chance . Hewitt is also from South Carolina from what I can find. This stuff isn't regular in rova either, man. lol

https://www.chronicle-independent.co...-state-police/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia