Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 07:06 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The point is, there are alternatives to resorting to violence.
So...how long should they wait for someone to comply? Should they spend their entire shift waiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 04:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Quote:
I know that the Alexandria police didn't respond in the way the state trooper did in the case of a driver who didn't comply right away with getting out of his car.

Wasn't that obvious?

You really gave nothing to go on so I have no idea what really happened.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Contrast this incident with what I observed outside my own house one day: I heard a siren, looked out my window, and saw a car get pulled over by Alexandria City Police.

The police officer went to the driver's side. Soon, more police cars arrived. Eventually, there were 5 police cars. The driver wasn't getting out of the car. I don't know why. I didn't hear any shouting, no demands by police that the driver comply with orders "or else". Just a situation of a driver pulled over for something that must have been for more than getting a traffic ticket, because police didn't just give him one and go on their way. They obviously wanted him out of the car. So they waited. One police woman took the lead in standing by the driver's window, talking with him. Over 45 minutes passed. Eventually, he voluntarily got out the car, was handcuffed, put into a police car, and taken away.

No screaming. No "respect my authority!" ego trip. No throwing people around. No kneeling on the neck.

Again. Not much info here. But had they decided to extricate him from the car they could have done this in a professional manner and not show a "respect my authority" ego trip as you say. But anytime someone is extricated from something like a car it will look violent when that all depends on the person who is resisting. And yes, the guy sitting in his car refusing to exit was resisting.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
The driver refused lawful orders. He was taken into custody. What's the issue?

Also, since the officers name isn't mentioned in the article, I've reported your post to admins. The officer could face harassment with the release of this info. Doxxing in any form is poor netiquette and goes against the TOS.
It was not lawful. To search someone's vehicle or arrest them in Virginia you need probable cause, which requires proof. There was no cannabis in the car, so there obviously was no proof.

I hope the officer faces harassment every day of his life. He's a monster and doesn't deserve a moment of peace. He brutalized that man for the fun of it.

The officers committed an illegal search, illegal detention, and assault. And you say "what's the issue?"

People like you never actually care about the law. You care about seeing certain people win and lose.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemalas View Post
It was not lawful. To search someone's vehicle or arrest them in Virginia you need probable cause, which requires proof. There was no cannabis in the car, so there obviously was no proof.

I hope the officer faces harassment every day of his life. He's a monster and doesn't deserve a moment of peace. He brutalized that man for the fun of it.

The officers committed an illegal search, illegal detention, and assault. And you say "what's the issue?"

People like you never actually care about the law. You care about seeing certain people win and lose.

You clearly have no understanding of the law based on this post.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:05 AM

235 posts, read 115,164 times
Well it doesn’t really matter if they’re was cannabis in the car if they smelt it that would have been probable cause. But I actually don’t know if they smelt it or the officer just wanted to boost his ego, assault and brutalize the man which he did. But there is a big issue with what the officer did I think he should be fired. But I don’t think one incident like this should result in him being involved in constant legal battles and going to jail cause now the driver is fine or should be. I understand for example Derek Chauvin going to jail but I think with this officer if he does get charged it’ll just be the Commonwealth Attorney of Fairfax trying to make an example of him which I guess he can do but don’t send him to jail for that.

Maybe a fine, apology, and ordered mental health classes, psychologist, and not another job where he can do security/law enforcement. That seems pretty fair to me but the driver will capitalize on this probably get a payout from both the Fairfax County government and civil case against the officers involved.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:02 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
But I actually don’t know if they smelt it or the officer just wanted to boost his ego, assault and brutalize the man which he did. But there is a big issue with what the officer did I think he should be fired.
Actually the man and or his lawyer handed us all we need here. He did not obey a lawful order to leave the car. He stated he was scared but he did not look scared. He just did not comply. The police are not a toy, the police are not baby sitters. If a white person did this the ending could certainly be the same.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:26 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,308 times
Yes. Let’s call in 10 police officers and a social worker to sit around for hours babysitting every entitled brat who refuses a basic police instruction to get out of the vehicle when pulled over. Let’s spend a million dollars of taxpayer money every time some fool driving without a license wants to put on a show for his internet friends ...

Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
I am not sure why the OP refers to Faifax County when it is VSP.

And while I do not support the officer's words and actions, this incident certainly does feel staged, ruining the genuine feel of authenticity.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I am not sure why the OP refers to Faifax County when it is VSP.

And while I do not support the officer's words and actions, this incident certainly does feel staged, ruining the genuine feel of authenticity.
My bottom line on this, the arrestee laid the bait, the officer took the bait and showed a lack of impulse control which is why him not being a cop anymore is for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia