Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Because people in Virginia feel NOVA is now Northern and no longer part of Virginia. The 'Real Virginia" I.E. Richmond, Farmville, Petersburg- doesnt want to associate with the pushyness of that area. All the natives have left.
Wash DC area native here (born/raised): when I left the DC area in 1978; the cultural demarcation line between NoVa and the rest of the state seemed to start just S of Springfield along 1-95 and US Rte 1.

Fredericksburg was a different world than DC---------much more laid back, almost like an Old School California vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM

395 posts, read 523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wash DC area native here (born/raised): when I left the DC area in 1978; the cultural demarcation line between NoVa and the rest of the state seemed to start just S of Springfield along 1-95 and US Rte 1.

Fredericksburg was a different world than DC---------much more laid back, almost like an Old School California vibe.
Fredericksburg is hardly anything like California, but I do agree thats where the line is drawn. I think someone said you cant find any city within a 40 mile radius of DC in Virginia that is remotely Southern. I find that parts of Loudoun and Fauquier county have images of Old South in them- the old plantations and horse country farms. I think that NOVA in general is a very culturally schizophrenic place. it cant decide if its North or South or what. I consider myself a Southron, and I grew up in Loudoun County. I dont care if Deep South folks consider me Yankee. My ancestors all fought for the Confederacy and I love sweet tea.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2NOVA View Post
I don't see why people hate the area so much, I love it and can't wait to leave Seattle. DC is so exciting and is close to other major cities (ie Phila, NYC) My main impressions are:

- People are generally friendly
- The countryside is gorgeous
- Washington has so much to explore compared to other US Cities
- METRO is a huge plus
- Much more diverse that the Pacific NW, lots of foreigners
- NoVA has much more character than most major US cities, especially the older neighborhoods.

Can someone enlighten me why its so bad?

You'll find traffic and jerks everywhere, if thats the only issues sign me up!

I think it has to do with the fact that so many people come here for a job, and are bitter about it.

They would much prefer to have stayed in their home States....but economic conditions back home made that impossible.

I often say that _I_ would NEVER move for a job....but I grew up here, so maybe I'm spoiled. There are lots of otherwise wonderful places that have no jobs, unless you want to say, "Would you like fries with that?" two or three hundred times a day.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
I think NOVA turns Southern around Fredericksburg - thats when I notice the niceness, Southern accents, and sweet tea.

And with kids, jobs, etc., it is hard to find time to "explore" -

Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 PM

395 posts, read 523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think NOVA turns Southern around Fredericksburg - thats when I notice the niceness, Southern accents, and sweet tea.

And with kids, jobs, etc., it is hard to find time to "explore" -
I agree totally. But I remember when Fredericksburg was not considered part of "Northern Virginia"

If you go west in Northern Virginia out towards Middleburg-Warrenton-Loudoun, you will get a taste of the Old South. Most of Farifax mine as well we baja New Jersey, though.

Actually, Fairfax just dosent have much distinctive about it at all- northern, southern, or otherwise.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM

148 posts, read 629,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Like what? How many times can you go to the museums? I'm not being facetious.
Most museums do change exhibits! There are shows that change at the Kennedy Center/Warner Theater etc. We have a pool of 4 neighborhood parents and one of us takes older kids to DC and other places every 6 weeks or so. Like all parents, we definitely want to expose the kids to the culture and activities this area has to offer and have found this to be a great workable solution.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM

105 posts, read 352,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
I agree totally. But I remember when Fredericksburg was not considered part of "Northern Virginia"

If you go west in Northern Virginia out towards Middleburg-Warrenton-Loudoun, you will get a taste of the Old South. Most of Farifax mine as well we baja New Jersey, though.

Actually, Fairfax just dosent have much distinctive about it at all- northern, southern, or otherwise.
I consider Fredericksburg the start of the south for sure. It used to be Stafford but tons of notherners and midwesterners came. Middleburg and out that way still hold strong.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
Welcome to our area! For the most part, I find it an awesome place to call home.

- People are generally friendly--For the most part, it depends on where you are. Lots has to do with socio-economic class. If you are around others that are worrying about their next meal, they may not be friendly to a middle-class person such as yourself. But that is everywhere. There are quite a few people here who think the world revolves around them because of their glorified job, but I just find them amusing...lol.
- The countryside is gorgeous--That's for sure. You can get in your car and drive to the Blue Ridge or to the Eastern Shore. I love taking myself "outside the Beltway" on Sundays to go explore. This weekend for me it was Westmoreland SP on VA's Northern Neck and last weekend it was Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- Washington has so much to explore compared to other US Cities Yes, for sure. Many people don't take advantage of this!!!
- METRO is a huge plusWell, if you live close by to it. If you live in Fairfax Station or Bowie, Md., then you are kind of out of luck. I would say the car is king here for areas outside of the District, Arlington and some areas of close-in MD. We are much more LA car-dependent than NYC/London transit-dependent.
- Much more diverse that the Pacific NW, lots of foreignersThis has good and bad elements to it. Your social group will likely include people of all races, faiths, backgrounds, etc. That is great. I have learned so much more about the world through social interactions with others from other nations. That being said, I have also witnessed a lot of separate-ness and "we only hang with our own" etc. That is for the educated, legal population. Illegal immigration is a HUGE issue here. Again, for many of us it has nothing to do with racism, but rather just frustration with people who disrespect US law.
- NoVA has much more character than most major US cities, especially the older neighborhoods. This is true in the older neighborhoods of Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda, DC, etc. Suburbs here are suburbs and they look exactly like Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta or Kansas City and the only major difference is they cost more!!!

Hope this was helpful. People who are negative about where they live likely have other issues going on in their life--that's my belief at least. Best of luck to you!
Casey, you said it all for me. A few elaborations are all I need to add.

Friendly? Not my experience after 30 years there. If I'd say hello or smile at people in a supermarket they'd look at me like I was crazy. The same people WILL run you over inn the parking lot, and beware if you dare drive on the lot at Costco in Fairfax, those people are truly crazed and will mow you down on the lot and IN the store with their carts. Barely an iota of friendliness from anyone there unless they know you. Roads are a zoo of hateful, vicious behavior.

Metro is great, if you are near it, or get to a lot WAY EARLY in the morning before all parking is gone. Riders won't talk or smile and some of them will knock you down as they RUN up the escalators to beat you to a seat or the parking lot.

Some neighborhoods are lovely, especially some of the old close-in ones, but they are not affordable for most people. Much else is simply a case of ugly suburban sprawl. Gets pretty FIFTY miles west or north of DC. You want scenery, come to Colorado.

Diversity is there, in spades, a positive in many ways. There is a ton of diversity in most major cities, we have it here in Denver/COL SPGS too.

I didn't find a lot of character in NOVA, a bit in DC, but there is a LOT of arrogance in the DC region as everyone there seems to think they are better than everyone else. I found Manhattan to be far and away the most civilized, friendly, diverse, cultured place on earth. If I hit the Power Ball, I'm getting me a brownstone on Central Park.

Good luck to the OP in the NOVA region. A lot of it is all in what you make it, but you'll have to work at it to make it happen.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Hubby and I have only found one restaurant in all of DC that we really like in the two years we've been here. We just don't think the food is good here overall. For instance, we love tapas, but haven't liked any of the tapas places we've tried.

If you live in close-in northern Virginia, and haven't found more than ONE good restaurant, you haven't tried very hard. Seriously. You are living in a cuisine paradise compared to the small city in the midwest where we now live. There is no Jaleo for tapas here. (In fact, there was a tapas restaurant, briefly, but the customers complained that the portion sizes were too small.....) No Four Sisters for spring rolls and pho. No Two Amys or Pietanza for wood-fired pizza. To name just four terrific spots. Get yourself a Zagat's guide, or the annual Washingtonian Cheap Eats issue, and get going before you find yourself in the midwest and cuisine is just a distant memory....

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 AM

672 posts, read 5,821,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
f you live in close-in northern Virginia, and haven't found more than ONE good restaurant, you haven't tried very hard. Seriously. You are living in a cuisine paradise compared to the small city in the midwest where we now live. There is no Jaleo for tapas here. (In fact, there was a tapas restaurant, briefly, but the customers complained that the portion sizes were too small.....) No Four Sisters for spring rolls and pho. No Two Amys or Pietanza for wood-fired pizza. To name just four terrific spots. Get yourself a Zagat's guide, or the annual Washingtonian Cheap Eats issue, and get going before you find yourself in the midwest and cuisine is just a distant memory....
I'm just saying we haven't found more than one restaurant we've really liked. It's totally a subjective thing. For instance, we've been to Two Amys a few times--didn't care for it and won't be back. I know it's supposed to have fabulous pizza but it just didn't appeal to us. I'm just saying that while we've tried lots of places, only one stands out as a favorite--the others were nothing special. This is compared to Chicago, where we used to live, where we loved nearly every restaurant we tried. We had a repertoire of 15 or 20 restaurants that we absolutely loved and couldn't wait to eat at. Not so here, for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia