Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM

177 posts, read 457,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Excuse me did you say redneck ? I sure hope you didnt . Its funny how its okay to use that word but not another word, which nobody can say.

Wow what ignorance! Maybe you werent good enough for Richmond. Id take it over NOVA any day!
Oh please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 03:31 PM

395 posts, read 525,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
So let me see if I understand some of the Richmond loving posts.

Northern VA would some how be comparable to Richmond if it had the following: more evangelicals (no thanks), sweat tea and grits, more residents sympathetic to the "southern" way of life, a Carytown -- which by the way is nothing more than an inferior version of Old Town Alexandria or even the Clarendon area, ohh and less cookie-cutter plastic sprawl that is also ALL OVER the Richmond area aside from right in the city.

And this so called diversity that exists in Richmond has only been apparent to me in areas right next to VCU. Any college campus, especially one that emphasizes the arts is going to have a large amount of diversity regardless of the city or town.

Even though I do love sweat tea, I'm just not buying the Richmond blows NoVa out of the water argument.
Well another thing I notice about NOVA- is I think people are actually more closed minded! Its true. Richmond is so laid back and people are much more into the arts here- but in a non pretentious way. And you have hipsters from VCU- really cool kids into indie punk music. Also a good Alt-Country scene as well. I like hanging out at PLAN 9

I grew up in NOVA. All people want to do is go to Starbucks and listen to Dave Matthews band in their SUV or watch the Washington "Redskins" on TV. People in NOVA are actually very very very provincial- very closed minded, and not at all into anything neat. The also tend to be extremely materialistic.

Richmond has much more interesting people. Richmond is not without her faults- and Im not saying its perfect.

Now- Im not trying to bash NOVA or people either - yes- these are generalizations- but it is true to large extent. I spent the first 18 years of my life in NOVA- I will NEVER go back. I love Richmond. Its much more hip without trying to be. I laugh when people try to make NOVA to out to be so Cosmopolitan It sure ain't that!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,838,296 times
Thanks for thinking us Nova girls are cute! They also have some fine boys up there!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM

194 posts, read 591,138 times
I'd say that Woodbridge/Ft. Belvoir/and Lorton are more friendlier than the upper.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,212,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
I'd say that Woodbridge/Ft. Belvoir/and Lorton are more friendlier than the upper.
I can speak for Woodbridge 30+ years ago........and, I have to agree.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:57 PM

177 posts, read 457,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Well another thing I notice about NOVA- is I think people are actually more closed minded! Its true. Richmond is so laid back and people are much more into the arts here- but in a non pretentious way. And you have hipsters from VCU- really cool kids into indie punk music. Also a good Alt-Country scene as well. I like hanging out at PLAN 9

I grew up in NOVA. All people want to do is go to Starbucks and listen to Dave Matthews band in their SUV or watch the Washington "Redskins" on TV. People in NOVA are actually very very very provincial- very closed minded, and not at all into anything neat. The also tend to be extremely materialistic.

Richmond has much more interesting people. Richmond is not without her faults- and Im not saying its perfect.

Now- Im not trying to bash NOVA or people either - yes- these are generalizations- but it is true to large extent. I spent the first 18 years of my life in NOVA- I will NEVER go back. I love Richmond. Its much more hip without trying to be. I laugh when people try to make NOVA to out to be so Cosmopolitan It sure ain't that!
I went up to Richmond for work purposes and I stayed at this Marriott which I liked majority of the folks were nice and all. However, there was this elderly white gentleman who kept starring at me in a very creepy fashion. Maybe he had never seen a black guy before but that was kinda creepy. That was such a little blip on the radar compared to the good times I had there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Thanks for thinking us Nova girls are cute! They also have some fine boys up there!
Not into guys myself. The girls are cute and all but dang can't a black guy get some love from the NOVA chicks? Dang!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShrek View Post
I went up to Richmond for work purposes and I stayed at this Marriott which I liked majority of the folks were nice and all. However, there was this elderly white gentleman who kept starring at me in a very creepy fashion. Maybe he had never seen a black guy before but that was kinda creepy. That was such a little blip on the radar compared to the good times I had there.

Not into guys myself. The girls are cute and all but dang can't a black guy get some love from the NOVA chicks? Dang!
Because Richmond is 57% black, I seriously doubt that was it!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Loudoun/Fauquier County is friendlier- along with Manassas.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM

194 posts, read 591,138 times
Not trying to get into a debate here, but Manassas I can concur to but not Loudoun. Loudoun is going to become the "new Fairfax."

Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Not trying to get into a debate here, but Manassas I can concur to but not Loudoun. Loudoun is going to become the "new Fairfax."
Well maybe its changed. I grew up in Loudoun- and it felt greatly removed from the DC area. I was born in 1979 and raised there and lived there until 1998. Has it changed since then?

When I was living out in Philomont, most folks were friendly and waved. I rode horses near Leesburg and that was right fun too. I have fond memories,but I can never go back because I am AFRAID of what it would be like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia